General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Thoughts on RSBs, Addco vs. Stillen

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 10:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thoughts on RSBs, Addco vs. Stillen

We have two Maximas, one with FSTB, H&R/AGX, 17x7.5'' wheels with Potenza RE730 tires. It already had the Addco RSB when I bought it used.

The other car has stock springs, AGXs, FSTB, Stillen RSB, and fully equipped with ES bushings.

Well, to experiment, I switched my car's Addco RSB with the Stillen. I didn't really feel a difference.

I've been thinking about the difference between these two sway bars all day. IMO, I like the design of the Addco. It really seems like a better designed bar. Just compare the two. The Stillen one is almost like a flat C shape, which has four mounts on both sides. The Addco on the other hand has a very aggressive bends, and seems to resemble the Maxima's OEM front sway bar. It has 4 mounts also, but they are evenly spaced out, and IMO seem much better designed all around.

All I've read about on the org is the Stillen one is beefier, better looking, and adjustable. But truthfully do you think some people are just saying this because they paid a premium for it?

The main reason I switched the sway bars was to decide which one was more aggressive and did a better job. I know they do the same thing, but I still wanted to decide which bar will peform best all around. I don't know which one I should put on the performance oriented (the 5-speed with the H&Rs) Maxima. The Stillen or the Addco? I'm just a little confused.

My gut feeling says that the Addco actually does a better job due to the bar design. But if someone could convince me that the Stillen is actually a bit better (even in the slightest way) please post.

I know this is not a big deal, but I just want to equip the performance oriented car with the best bar. Thanks for reading.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Thoughts on RSBs, Addco vs. Stillen

Originally posted by TurDz
All I've read about on the org is the Stillen one is beefier, better looking, and adjustable. But truthfully do you think some people are just saying this because they paid a premium for it?
Of course.

And as to which one is "better" ... they both do the same thing.

The Stillen RSB owners will say that they have adjustability on their side, but the truth is, the Addco is adjustable also. And most owners don't go messing around adjusting the Stillen RSB all the time anyway.

And if the Addco performs just as well as the Stillen but at a lower price, then the Addco is a better deal.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:25 PM

Re: Thoughts on RSBs, Addco vs. Stillen

Originally posted by TurDz
We have two Maximas, one with FSTB, H&R/AGX, 17x7.5'' wheels with Potenza RE730 tires. It already had the Addco RSB when I bought it used.

The other car has stock springs, AGXs, FSTB, Stillen RSB, and fully equipped with ES bushings.

Well, to experiment, I switched my car's Addco RSB with the Stillen. I didn't really feel a difference.

I've been thinking about the difference between these two sway bars all day. IMO, I like the design of the Addco. It really seems like a better designed bar. Just compare the two. The Stillen one is almost like a flat C shape, which has four mounts on both sides. The Addco on the other hand has a very aggressive bends, and seems to resemble the Maxima's OEM front sway bar. It has 4 mounts also, but they are evenly spaced out, and IMO seem much better designed all around.

The main reason I switched the sway bars was to decide which one was more aggressive and did a better job. I know they do the same thing, but I still wanted to decide which bar will peform best all around. I don't know which one I should put on the performance oriented (the 5-speed with the H&Rs) Maxima. The Stillen or the Addco? I'm just a little confused.

My gut feeling says that the Addco actually does a better job due to the bar design. But if someone could convince me that the Stillen is actually a bit better (even in the slightest way) please post.

I know this is not a big deal, but I just want to equip the performance oriented car with the best bar. Thanks for reading.
did you try driving with no rsb at all?
Old 07-30-2002, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the comments clee.

And hey costco man,

I did try my other car w/o a RSB (the one that used to have the Stillen one on).

Using my best judgement, and considering my AGX/stock springs suspsension, I only noticed a difference if I jolted the steering wheel back and forth (imagine a drunk driver). The rear actually did feel a little bit loose. Otherwise, it handled ok. Take into consideration though, it was only local and some highway driving.

Any more thoughts on Stillen vs. Addco?

I hope that someone can agree/disagree with me on the Addco bar design. I really do feel that it is more effective, knowing that it mounts on more placed and just looks more productive.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:55 PM

Chris,
I bought the Stillen bar awhile back for three reasons. Number one, I got a good deal on it. Number two, it seemed that the bushings in the Addco bar would allow the bar to flex just a bit going through turns, leading to a less responsive product. Number three was that I had heard that the Stillen bar was a quality, well made bar whereas the Addco was not. I have never seen the Addco bar in person though, so I have no idea as to whether or not this is true.

Since there are people that swear by both products, I'm not sure my theory about the Addco's flexing is correct but if you've ever been down here, you'd know that there are a lot of twisties in the back roads and I was looking for any advantage I could get. Plus, having only two mounting points for the Stillen bar was a plus (easier to adjust). But DAMN that thing is heavy! I wonder how the two bars compare as far as that is concerned?

Anyway, you got a sticker out of the deal so you should be happy. Good luck.

BTW the pics of your meet looked good.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:16 PM

LOL, thanks for the stickers again! They're in a safe spot on my room.

BTW, about weight...if I remember correctly, the Addco actually weighs more with the bushings installed on them.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:06 AM

Re: Re: Thoughts on RSBs, Addco vs. Stillen

Originally posted by clee130

And if the Addco performs just as well as the Stillen but at a lower price, then the Addco is a better deal.
What if I got my used Stillen RSB for $80 shipped? Is that a better deal?

The only thing I can think might be different (not sure if it's better) is that the Stillen can be adjusted beyond the rear beam. Doesn't the Addco attach to the rear beam, so how can you adjust it further back if you desired?
Old 07-31-2002, 08:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on RSBs, Addco vs. Stillen

Originally posted by breaux124

What if I got my used Stillen RSB for $80 shipped? Is that a better deal?
Well ... I doubt anyone can find a Stillen RSB new for $80 ... I got my Addco new for $100. If we're talking used prices, the Addco would still probably be cheaper and a better deal.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:54 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on RSBs, Addco vs. Stillen

Originally posted by clee130
I got my Addco new for $100.
I was thuggin' then

I'd go with Addco simply b/c it serves the same purpose as the Stillen rsb, at half the cost.

So what if Stillen bar is adjustable? I bet no one bothers to adjust the setting once it's bolted on. PITA- after a while the bolts rust etc., you'll need airgun to loosen the clamps.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:01 AM
SLOW

I've never raced on an addco bar, but I have raced on my stillen bar and I love it. I HAVE adjusted my swaybar unlike most people, to see how my car would react on the track. The adjustability does make a difference in the neutrality (or lack thereof) of the car. Whether or not the thinner, less adjustable addco bar would provide the same feel on a race track I don't know. For regular street driving you might as well go with the one that's cheapest. If you plan on racing you might want to look into the differences between the two.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:17 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Originally posted by Nealoc187
...For regular street driving you might as well go with the one that's cheapest. If you plan on racing you might want to look into the differences between the two.
Nealoc is one of the few exceptions b/c he tunes the car for auto-x

I went through the trouble of trying both out for everyday driving (street/highway). Both served its purpose. I'd stick with Addco bar(cost/functionality) in the first place if I knew back then what I know now.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:26 AM

damn i had the same question on other section of the forum...

and i can't decide which one to go for....
Old 07-31-2002, 09:29 AM
Very sound, Mike

I don't have experience with the Stillen but as far as the Addco goes, it's relatively thick and it's quite heavy. I'd say somewhere around 18-20lbs.

I think, in most cases, given that there really is no real independent/official test published to see the performance differences between bars people tend to go the route most people would go.

That is, Brand recognition, aesthetics and price. Stillen is more known to a lot of people than Addco. It looks a tad bit nicer than the Addco albeit the price is also relatively higher.

Sometimes, the underdog is a better choice depending on your criteria's.

I chose the Addco in the same way i choose AMD over Intel.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:38 AM
I'm needing a caw

Originally posted by ljl10
Chris,
I bought the Stillen bar awhile back for three reasons. Number one, I got a good deal on it. Number two, it seemed that the bushings in the Addco bar would allow the bar to flex just a bit going through turns, leading to a less responsive product. Number three was that I had heard that the Stillen bar was a quality, well made bar whereas the Addco was not. I have never seen the Addco bar in person though, so I have no idea as to whether or not this is true.

BOTH bars flex. If both flex at the same rate is a better argument. Bushings are MEANT to flex. If not, then both suppliers would have provided billet aluminum bushings.

I think you can ajust the Addco by repositioning the inner beam brackets(changing the way the bar flexes?) I think that's how it goes. 3-gens don't have a choice BTW.

I would say less than 10% of all RSB owners even bother to ajust their bar once it's on. And maybe 5% of RSB owners adjust their bar more than once.

The question is, does the Stillen bar offer 2x the performance at 2x the price of the Addco? IMHO, no. "Maybe" 20% more performance due to the built in adjustability and the greater range of adjustiblity. But that's about it. I would say, if you put the Addco on the normal way and ajusted the Stillen bar to it's fullest or softest points, there would not be a real big difference either way(from the Addco's "neutral" setting)
Old 07-31-2002, 09:40 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Jeff92se

The question is, does the Stillen bar offer 2x the performance at 2x the price of the Addco? IMHO, no. "Maybe" 20% more performance due to the built in adjustability and the greater range of adjustiblity. But that's about it. I would say, if you put the Addco on the normal way and ajusted the Stillen bar to it's fullest or softest points, there would not be a real big difference either way(from the Addco's "neutral" setting) [/B]
$tillen's main advantage is that your jack points aren't fubarred on the log rear beam 4th gens.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:00 AM

Thanks for all of the responses. It's great to get some serious input from all of you guys who are knowledable.

All of your comments were very helpful to me. When I read Bill's fubar comment, it hit me.

You guys all know that on the 5th Gen Maximas, the beam was moved in front of the lateral link. I tested out a 5th Gen myself, and stock vs. stock, it handles better than a 4th Gen.

I think the same thing kind of thing happens when you move the Stillen RSB in front of the rear beam. I've experimented a bit unlike most (I've changed the settings about 3 or 4 times) and it does feel a bit more neutral at speeds of 30mph and up. I agree though, the differences are very subtle, and the Addco and Stillen still do the same job.

For some reason, the Addco still looks better IMO. But I've decided to keep the Stillen on the performance oriented car, with the bar right below the front edge of the rear beam.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:20 PM

Okay after lots of testing, I've figured out one fact:

The Addco RSB is MUCH more effective on a my unlowered Maxima than the Stillen bar.

I've taken a turn at my house from about 45 mph and I slow down and appropriately guage the speed to safely take the turn. I've always heard people saying, "I can take turns more aggressively" or "I can take many turns much faster than before." Well with the Stillen, I wasn't as ecstatic as those who've praised it so much. I felt the difference with the Stillen RSB, but it was nothing drastic.

With the Addco, I feel that its much more effective, and its a drastic difference over a car without one (just as the people who praised the sway bars).

The funny thing is, I expected to feel lots of lean since I just got out of my lowered 5-speed to test the unlowered Maxima. Say you rent a Mazda 626 for a day and you feel that it is very sluggish. This is due to the fact that your Maxima that you just drove the day before was much more torquey and powerful. Same applied with the test for the Addco RSB. I got out of a very well handling car, and when I switched over, the handling felt practically the same! The proof was in the quick turn to my house that I mentioned.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful to any of you who are deciding on which one to get. I'm selling my Stillen right now...
Old 08-07-2002, 07:22 PM

Bookmarked for future reference.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:39 PM

I just installed my Addco tonight. My first impression wasn't very good. I opened the box and all of the parts were just sitting at the bottom. The shrink wrap had nothing in it. I was missing 2 washers. BOTH of the threaded clamps that attach to the side beam would in no way shape or form fit into the assembly. I had to take a hammer and pound them in so that the pieces would fit. The directions were pitiful. Addco could have at least given fresh looking directions instead of a copy from a copier with low toner. Obviously quality control is lacking a great deal with Addco. It's definately a two person job holding the bar. Luckily I had someone with me.

Now that the install is done I have to admit, despite the bad vibes from the above mentioned things, my 2K2 GLE now handles like a sports car. I'm very impressed with this cheap mod. No more holding onto my steering wheel for dear life while taking a on or off ramp from the highway.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:46 PM
Very sound, Mike

Virus, as far as the trailing arm bolts go - you got the wrong one's. The 5th gen bolts are slightly larger and should have been given to you.

To everyone else, you can actually call up Addco about these bolts and they'll send it to you for free.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:59 PM

What should I do at this point? The bolts were larger, but they were too wide to fit into the holes in the bracket. That's why I had to hammer them down a notch. It seems to be ok and tightened down just fine, but it didn't move around on the side bar like it probably should have. Will it hurt anything?
Old 08-07-2002, 11:10 PM

The addco RSB weighs 17.8 lbs, thats what the guys had me sign off for when he got it out of his truck. It works amazing. unfortunately, i can't speak for the stillen, as i'm a broke college kid with no money. But it works great. some day i might get back under there and see if i can push the trailing arm mounts forward a little and the beam mounts outward a little to help, but thats a lot of hassle for an already great product....
Old 08-08-2002, 05:19 AM

I can't believe such a cheap mod could yield such fantastic performance. It's not a miracle cure and it doesn't handle like even the cheapest BMW, but it's got spunk in the corners now. I had originally thought that the rear of the car would be bumpier and the ride more harsh with the RSB. To my surprise the rear end feels more supple than before over rough pavement. When going over hills at a good rate, the rear of the car felt like it was bottoming out. Not anymore! FSTB is next. Can you add a front sway bar to the Maxima?
Old 08-08-2002, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by Virus
Can you add a front sway bar to the Maxima?
IIRC, the Max already has a front sway bar.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:46 AM

What suprises me the most is that the RSB does anything at all. its a hunk of metal that attaches the two trailing arms and the beam. however, our big thick log beam already does the same thing. a hunkof metal that connects our two trailing arms. I don't understand how or why it works anymore (cuz i'd have thought that the bigger beam would stop any flex), but i don't care. It WORKS!
Old 08-08-2002, 09:01 AM
Very sound, Mike

2 things could be the reason for an RSB's effects,

1) Weight, you're basically placing a good amount of unsprung weight down there. If that's not the case then another reason could be the addition of weight (albeit not much) which lowers the CG a little

2) Matt's post here seems to suggests "the only thing that adds lateral stiffness is the panhard bar (what I call it at least ) that runs from the chassis near the passenger side to the drivers side axle. It effectively keeps the axle centered to the vehicle with the help of the trailing arms. The remainder of the suspension relies on the springs/shocks/vehicle weight to "keep it in line" ). The RSB adds additional stiffness to the rear by diminishing the excessive "lean in" the vehicle has during turns. The trailing arms and such do not help resist body lean, but, the RSB does."
Old 08-09-2002, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by soundmike
2 things could be the reason for an RSB's effects,

1) Weight, you're basically placing a good amount of unsprung weight down there. If that's not the case then another reason could be the addition of weight (albeit not much) which lowers the CG a little

2) Matt's post here seems to suggests "the only thing that adds lateral stiffness is the panhard bar (what I call it at least ) that runs from the chassis near the passenger side to the drivers side axle. It effectively keeps the axle centered to the vehicle with the help of the trailing arms. The remainder of the suspension relies on the springs/shocks/vehicle weight to "keep it in line" ). The RSB adds additional stiffness to the rear by diminishing the excessive "lean in" the vehicle has during turns. The trailing arms and such do not help resist body lean, but, the RSB does."
The operation of an anti-swaybar is one of the simplest things possible - looka at the rear suspension, look at the swaybar. Now imagine the car leaning and note that the suspension motion is twisting both the swaybar and the transverse beam. The transverse beam has a tube in it - lo! the stock swaybar, the addco or stealin adds more roll stiffness. If you can't visualize it, jack up one end of the beam and watch (note - that would be the outside in a turn)
Old 08-09-2002, 05:16 AM
Conecarver

Originally posted by wdave

The transverse beam has a tube in it - lo! the stock swaybar, the addco or stealin adds more roll stiffness.
I never noticed that bar til you mentioned it. I'm gonna look at that some more and get some dimensions and see if it's solid or not. I had asked Saner of FL about building a custom RSB thicker than the Addco but maybe something can be done with that stock one too.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:09 AM

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm