General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Quiet CHEAP muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 01:18 PM

Quiet CHEAP muffler?

Looking for a quiet cheap muffler. I looked at a bunch of threads but most decent mufflers where in the $300 range.

I was very keen on the Powertech Mufflers but the noise factor is keeping me away from them. I am getting a y-pipe so noise will be a factor. I was thinking about simply buying a replacement maxima muffler from a junkyard and welding a 3-4" tip on it but I would really like to go AM. Any suggestions?

Looking to spend about $150 (from e-bay or wherever) for any muffler single tip is fine as I *may* decide to go dual exhaust since there is a cheap install shop nearby
Old 08-04-2002, 01:39 PM

The stock muffler is a good one. You can get a new B pipe and a new tip on ur stock muffler, ur good to go! Its cheaper too!
Old 08-04-2002, 01:48 PM

Re: Quiet CHEAP muffler?

Originally posted by Finality
Looking for a quiet cheap muffler. I looked at a bunch of threads but most decent mufflers where in the $300 range.

I was very keen on the Powertech Mufflers but the noise factor is keeping me away from them. I am getting a y-pipe so noise will be a factor. I was thinking about simply buying a replacement maxima muffler from a junkyard and welding a 3-4" tip on it but I would really like to go AM. Any suggestions?

Looking to spend about $150 (from e-bay or wherever) for any muffler single tip is fine as I *may* decide to go dual exhaust since there is a cheap install shop nearby
Get in touch with JohnVT1111 and find out the exact model number of his muffler. Its HKS, and its very quiet. I love it..

Or, find a used 4th gen muffler in good condition and make it into a dual exhaust, with 3" tips. That way it'll look good and not loud. You think you'll want an exhaust with some rumble now, because you never had aftermarket catback. But trust me, i spent over $500 just experimenting with different exhaust setups, and you get tired of loud exhaust really quick. When I find a used 4th gen muffler or 2 5th gen ones for good price, i might be going dual too. But I need to come down to blacksburg to do that.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:44 AM

Re: Re: Quiet CHEAP muffler?

Originally posted by hokiemax

Get in touch with JohnVT1111 and find out the exact model number of his muffler. Its HKS, and its very quiet. I love it..

Or, find a used 4th gen muffler in good condition and make it into a dual exhaust, with 3" tips. That way it'll look good and not loud. You think you'll want an exhaust with some rumble now, because you never had aftermarket catback. But trust me, i spent over $500 just experimenting with different exhaust setups, and you get tired of loud exhaust really quick. When I find a used 4th gen muffler or 2 5th gen ones for good price, i might be going dual too. But I need to come down to blacksburg to do that.
Thanks for the advice, I'll ask John if he ever comes online I'm not keen on spending over $150 so I hope I can dig up a cheap place to pick up the HKS.

BTW when you coming down to tech? Or did you just graduate.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:00 PM

hayame mufflers are good.........try them .......also if you find a muffler that you really lick, but its loud, just have a resonator installed
Old 08-05-2002, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
hayame mufflers are good.........try them .......also if you find a muffler that you really lick, but its loud, just have a resonator installed
I'll take a look at the hayame. From what I have read about loud mufflers though is that a res will help but it wont get down to stock sound mainly because the y-pipe already adds so much noise.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Finality

I'll take a look at the hayame. From what I have read about loud mufflers though is that a res will help but it wont get down to stock sound mainly because the y-pipe already adds so much noise.
flowmaster 50 series... under 100 bucks from a good shop. make your car sound good...