General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Frustrated with Maxima aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 08:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Frustrated with Maxima aftermarket

This was one of the reasons I was interested in buying either a WRX or turbo a VR6 Jetta versus supercharging my Maxima. Allthough I went with the latter, I get frustrated when I just cannot find basic aftermarket performance parts for my car.

I have been looking for a 2.5" (not 2.25" stock replacement) cat-back exhaust for my Maxima for the last 4 weeks. After a lot of BS from vendors & false promises, I am stuck for who knows how long...

Let's compare 2.5" & above sizes:
Maxima - Greddy SP (back-ordered for a few more weeks), Stillen cat-back (ridiculously expensive & LOUD).
Total 2

WRX - Stromung, Apex'i N1, HKS, Greddy EVO, Tanabe Racing, Tanabe Hyper, Blitz, Kakimoto R; GTZ & Hyper2000, Ganador Vertex, TurboXS, Vishnu, MRT, Zerosports.
Total 15.

I rest my case.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:24 AM

Re: Frustrated with Maxima aftermarket:mad:

welcome to the aftermarket for maximas my friend.

my dual exhaust is all 2.5" mandrel bent after my first accident a few weeks ago it was professionally redone, and mandrel bent, costing like 1200..

you could always call some of those companies that deal with the wrx and all that and see about having them make you a one off exhaust or a production exhaust for maximas.. a lot of times companies will do it for cheap just to have you sport there product on a non mainstream car.. its worth a shot.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just curious...

Why haven't you gotten a custom one made yet? And since your S/C you might as well go 3"...
-Cyrus
Old 08-11-2002, 08:48 AM

Thing is....

The WRX is a stock turbo and just about every make with a stock turbo has a wide range of aftermarket exhaust products (ie. WRX, 300ZX, Probe GT, even the Dogde Ram Turbo diesel), with the exceptions of probably Volvo and Saab. The Maxima was never intended to be either super or turbocharged. I think your best bet is to have a custom made B-pipe and select your our muffler. I don't know when a 2.5" or 3" Y-pipe will be made.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:02 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Family car and not enough demand...too costly for the companies to make the parts...simple as that
Old 08-11-2002, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Chris91SE
Family car and not enough demand...too costly for the companies to make the parts...simple as that
I definitely see your point, however, VW Jetta VR6 or the 1.8T is also a family car & has tons of aftermarket options...
Oh well...
Old 08-11-2002, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by Chris91SE
No, I think it's even simpler--there is no such thing as a Maxima enthusiast (what you see in the upper-left on your monitor is an oxymoron). Maxima is a car that always has delivered in the HP dept.--for the last 13 years people hoped that somehow the rest of the car would follow-suit. Here it is 2k2, and people would rather pay more for a Toyota product with what, 45 less hp or so? The companies that make mods for the Maxima are not Maxima enthusiasts, they've adapted existing products that will fit the Max. Other car companies have aftermarket cos. that specialize in their make.
Old 08-11-2002, 04:20 PM

Old 08-11-2002, 04:41 PM

That's why I just bought a '95 240sx
It isn't too costly for companies to introduce products for maximas. It's just that 99% of the people in this place are too CHEAP to buy things...
Just look at home many parts are available for th 240sx, now how many 240sx do you see on the road? Not many right?
Old 08-11-2002, 04:44 PM

you forgot warpspeed, cattman, pace setter, and apexi WS for the maximas
Old 08-11-2002, 04:54 PM

And courtesy nissan
Old 08-11-2002, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
you forgot warpspeed, cattman, pace setter, and apexi WS for the maximas
Warpspeed - 2.25" stock replacement
Cattman - does not make a cat-back for 4th gen
pacesetter - 2.25" stock replacement
Apexi - 2.25" B-pipe & 2.5" Muffler

I have a 2.5" Y-pipe & 2.5" test pipe (on order). Any piece smaller than 2.5" for cat-back will uncessarily create a bottle neck. Being forced induction, I need all the flow that I can get.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by sidewinder740
And courtesy nissan
They only make the intermediate pipe (B-pipe) for the 4th gen & they are known to give fitment issues & terrible noise levels. Due to its design, it unnessarily restricts air flow. It is, however, a 2.5" pipe.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:03 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

When ya gonna add a boost controller to that thing Stynki?

Originally posted by Synki

Old 08-12-2002, 09:12 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

actually you guys should actually call and find out what they have. They do have a 2.5 inlet performance muffler available. I go to school 2 blocks from there
Old 08-12-2002, 11:11 AM

Re: Frustrated with Maxima aftermarket

A WRX is a race car a maxima is a grocery getter..

Originally posted by dashingMax

This was one of the reasons I was interested in buying either a WRX or turbo a VR6 Jetta versus supercharging my Maxima. Allthough I went with the latter, I get frustrated when I just cannot find basic aftermarket performance parts for my car.

I have been looking for a 2.5" (not 2.25" stock replacement) cat-back exhaust for my Maxima for the last 4 weeks. After a lot of BS from vendors & false promises, I am stuck for who knows how long...

Maxima - Greddy SP (back-ordered for a few more weeks), Stillen cat-back (ridiculously expensive & LOUD).
Total 2

WRX - Stromung, Apex'i N1, HKS, Greddy EVO, Tanabe Racing, Tanabe Hyper, Blitz, Kakimoto R; GTZ & Hyper2000, Ganador Vertex, TurboXS, Vishnu, MRT, Zerosports.
Total 15.

I rest my case.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:23 AM

Re: Re: Frustrated with Maxima aftermarket

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
A WRX is a race car a maxima is a grocery getter..
I know...that is why I enjoy spanking "race cars" with my Supercharged "grocery getter"...It is more fun that way!
Old 08-12-2002, 11:59 AM

Re: Frustrated with Maxima aftermarket

LOL. Tell me how I can goto a muffler shop spend $100 and walk out with a 2.5in exhaust on my old maxima? IMHO it is crazy/silly to spend over $250 on a catback. 90-95% of the gain is from the B-pipe and not the muffler. For $500+ you can just buy an ECU upgrade and get way more power.

Originally posted by dashingMax

Total 2

Total 15.

I rest my case.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by mtrai760
When ya gonna add a boost controller to that thing Stynki?

I already have.

I am running 15psi of boost and at redline i am pusing about 13.5psi.

As soon as my VF30 turbo comes in, i will be pusing towards 20psi.
Old 08-12-2002, 02:21 PM

Good for you Synki!
You made a good decision. VF30 is basically Stage IV. 360+ flywheel HP.
Anyways, what do you think about having a complete 2.5" exhaust (y-pipe, test pipe, intermediate pipe) but keeping our stock 2.25" muffler on. I know you Turbo WRX's lose about 5 whp by keeping the stock muffler. That is 5 hp on 15psi boost. On the same theory, it would only cost about 2-3 HP for 8 psi boost Maxima... correct?

We know that replacing the muffler on an otherwise stock exhaust probably would not result in big power gains...however, when you get rid of the primary bottlenecks (Y-pipe, cat, intermediate pipe), will the stock muffler hold things back a lot?
Old 08-12-2002, 02:40 PM

why do you have to limit yourself just because big companies dont make products for the car???

there are always options
Old 08-17-2002, 12:10 PM
Former Sponsor

comparing Maxima aftermarket to WRX aftermarket is like... Camaro or Mustang aftermarket to the aftermarket for the Cadillac Allante- the WRX is NOTHING in the US compared to what it is in Asia the reason why the WRX all of a sudden has a huge market over in the US is because its built it up for years and years in Japan and other parts of Asia
and there are ways to get around it... every Tom **** and Harry can slap an fmax turbo kit on their car... but it takes more knowledge and involvement to piece together a custom turbo for the Max or even the Vortech SC...

I am happy the Maxima has a much lower profile... less attention from cops... less attention from stupid bone stock Civics with exhaust (well still too much attention from them but yea well they rev at my sisters bone stock '99 Cavalier)
and when people see my Maxima or other fixed up Max's it kinda is like 'damn'... and they roll out with the compliments... but kitted Accords or Civics are just... like every other car out there

and while we have limited choices out there and it costs us more money to mod our cars... look at who we have! Turbomax definitely is pushing near or more than 400hp, Nigel is at 372, Mardigras is pushing higher and higher every month (355 last time I recall) and there are a bunch of other guys who are pushing out crazy hp... all in a car without a large aftermarket- custom work gets you the most props... i30krab Mardigras and Turbomax have done some amazing stuff with the VQ... I know there are others out there... its really refreshing to see car enthusiasts at a more grassroots level...
when I talk about modding my car its custom this and that... my friend with a Civic doesnt know JACK about cars but everytime he opens Import Tuner or something his next mod is staring him in the face like "oh hmm oh well i'll buy this" like 1000s of other import owners... with the Maxima its alot more difficult and more unique
Old 08-20-2002, 02:56 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Originally posted by carnal_c30
comparing Maxima aftermarket to WRX aftermarket is like... Camaro or Mustang aftermarket to the aftermarket for the Cadillac Allante- the WRX is NOTHING in the US compared to what it is in Asia the reason why the WRX all of a sudden has a huge market over in the US is because its built it up for years and years in Japan and other parts of Asia
and there are ways to get around it... every Tom **** and Harry can slap an fmax turbo kit on their car... but it takes more knowledge and involvement to piece together a custom turbo for the Max or even the Vortech SC...

I am happy the Maxima has a much lower profile... less attention from cops... less attention from stupid bone stock Civics with exhaust (well still too much attention from them but yea well they rev at my sisters bone stock '99 Cavalier)
and when people see my Maxima or other fixed up Max's it kinda is like 'damn'... and they roll out with the compliments... but kitted Accords or Civics are just... like every other car out there

and while we have limited choices out there and it costs us more money to mod our cars... look at who we have! Turbomax definitely is pushing near or more than 400hp, Nigel is at 372, Mardigras is pushing higher and higher every month (355 last time I recall) and there are a bunch of other guys who are pushing out crazy hp... all in a car without a large aftermarket- custom work gets you the most props... i30krab Mardigras and Turbomax have done some amazing stuff with the VQ... I know there are others out there... its really refreshing to see car enthusiasts at a more grassroots level...
when I talk about modding my car its custom this and that... my friend with a Civic doesnt know JACK about cars but everytime he opens Import Tuner or something his next mod is staring him in the face like "oh hmm oh well i'll buy this" like 1000s of other import owners... with the Maxima its alot more difficult and more unique
Working on your Maxima requires a lot of research and education. It adds to what it means to drive around in one. It's the prestige that other import car owners and rice rocket drivers don't have. By the way, if you search, you'll fine a LOT of aftermarket stuff. Things pop up more and more each season.