General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Radius Arm impatience

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 05:05 PM

Radius Arm impatience

I'm getting sick of waiting for the non-existant radius arms to come out for the Maxima. As many of you know, wheel hop is a bad problem that plagues that hard launch of this car either at the track, the strip or on the street. There are a few ways to try to combat this. One is the use of polyurethane mounts, either filling the stock units or buying aftermarket. But then, you compromise NVH (noise vibration and harshness) with these things, and I've found that neither work especially in the rain and especially if you have a Quaife differential. Another is polyurethane control arm bushings. Although I've never used them, these are hard to install and will increase vibration in the car as well. Also they theoretically will not be 100% effective as they have to "give" for proper FWD articulation.

I've been waiting for somebody to produce these arms forever but they havent come out yet. It is VERY irritating and embaressing to be at the drag strip and watch the car hop all over the place while trying to launch. This is my biggest pet peeve of this (or any) car, not being able to launch hard.

A good solution is "radius arms" that should be almost 100% effective almost all the time. They came OEM on some cars, but obviously are not existant for the maxima. For more info on this device and its theory click here. In a nutshell, these arms/bars would preload the control arm in the fore/aft direction to lock out any fore/aft movement (better known as wheel hop) while allowing full range of motion for steering and suspension travel.

So I am thinking, these things arent exactly that complex in construction. Just some chromoly steel, with ball ends on them. It would take nothing specialized to fabricate these. I've dealt with companies to produce things before, and usually they must see that there is a sufficient interest and a minimum order for them to be produced in order for it to be worth their while to tool the product.

For the prototype, I am thinking about ordering a set for the Honda Civic/Acura Integra and having them modified. Get them cut and then lengthened to fit the Maxima's larger dimensions. Then hopefully produce some videos for before and after for launches to show the improvement. Or just get prototypes made, after sourcing the ball joints.

***Disclaimer*** I am very poor right now. I am unemployed. I am a poor college student who's free right now on summer break but school starts in September and I am studying to be an Acoustic Engineer. I will also have to come up with a good plan to present to my financial instituation (parents) for review. I do not claim to make miracles but I will try to get some of these in production either locally or by trying to pursuade other companies. For that to happen we must show them that we are willing to spend the money and it will be worth their while. I have no idea how pricing is going to be, but for the Civic its in the neighborhood of $400. I'm also brainstorming and organizing my thoughts.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I say go for it and let us know how you do.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Theres lot's of people definatly intersted in these. $450 seems to be a lot more expensive then I supected though. Has anyone asked WSP what ever happened to these? It would be nice if they would take the time to tell us what the deal is..