General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Thinking of doing a new dual exhaust setup, need your opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 10:00 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Thinking of doing a new dual exhaust setup, need your opinions.

I am getting sick of my duals being soo close together. Tonite I was at my buddies house and he has a '95 Impala SS with dual borla or flowmasters mufflers/tips. Like the new marauders duals except fatter tips. You guys know what i'm talking about.

What I am thinking of is getting rid of my spare tire well, and putting my muffler in that spot, just don't know how to go about doing it. I made a diagram of what I want it to look like:

I would use the cheap pipe bent piping at my local custom exhaust shop. I would need to bondo in my dual cutout's as well.

So, for the exhaust I will need to scrub the tire well, rebend the b-pipe to go into muffler, cut off pipes and shape some new ones. I expect to pay around $300 for this, but I am no expert. Helpfull advice is very much appriciated. Hopefully this will better my exhaust flow then my current setup. I will have to bondo my dual cutouts as well, how much would that run me? I fear the price of SS or chrome tips similer to the ones on my friends car.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IMO it looks perfect the way it is, changing it is gonna look a lot worse.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:06 PM

Re: Thinking of doing a new dual exhaust setup, need your opinions.

Originally posted by Craig Mack
I am getting sick of my duals being soo close together. Tonite I was at my buddies house and he has a '95 Impala SS with dual borla or flowmasters mufflers/tips. Like the new marauders duals except fatter tips. You guys know what i'm talking about.

What I am thinking of is getting rid of my spare tire well, and putting my muffler in that spot, just don't know how to go about doing it. I made a diagram of what I want it to look like:

I would use the cheap pipe bent piping at my local custom exhaust shop. I would need to bondo in my dual cutout's as well.

So, for the exhaust I will need to scrub the tire well, rebend the b-pipe to go into muffler, cut off pipes and shape some new ones. I expect to pay around $300 for this, but I am no expert. Helpfull advice is very much appriciated. Hopefully this will better my exhaust flow then my current setup. I will have to bondo my dual cutouts as well, how much would that run me? I fear the price of SS or chrome tips similer to the ones on my friends SS.
I love the Chevy Impala(4-door sports car)...i think your idea would be hot and would be interesting on a maxima. I don't think that you'll have much more improvement in horsepower. The tips shouldn't be that expensive, because usually they are aftermarket so you'll prolly find something that is similar that are cheap. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Weasel
IMO it looks perfect the way it is, changing it is gonna look a lot worse.
I like it good, but It looks weird from the rear. Check this out:

I now have the full stillen kit, so I think big flared tips at the ends drooping would look killer. It's a matter of opinion, but I think the farther the tips are away from each other, the more aggressive it looks.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:13 PM

Re: Re: Thinking of doing a new dual exhaust setup, need your opinions.

Originally posted by Gotrice4

I love the Chevy Impala(4-door sports car)...i think your idea would be hot and would be interesting on a maxima. I don't think that you'll have much more improvement in horsepower. The tips shouldn't be that expensive, because usually they are aftermarket so you'll prolly find something that is similar that are cheap. Good luck.
I completely agree with you bro, thanks for the encouragement.

:::::looking for Ben or others with knowledge on pricing and exhaust flow, tire well, ect.:::::::
Old 08-17-2002, 02:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: Thinking of doing a new dual exhaust setup, need your opinions.

I completely agree with you bro, thanks for the encouragement.

:::::looking for Ben or others with knowledge on pricing and exhaust flow, tire well, ect.:::::::
I think you should leave it, because you'd have to get really "nit-picky" to say that yours are too close together. If it's just the looks, most people wont have that impression just by looking at your car. Heck, if you want to get technical, then look at the Carerra, V6 Accord, S500 (or is it S600, because I have seen S Classes with the mufflers under the bumper but it may have been 430), or V6 Altima, and see where they are placed on an average, as a %. Maybe leave the Honda out. If you did change things, only use quality piping, don't cheap out.

Again, I think it's fine the way it is though.
Old 08-17-2002, 12:24 PM

http://www.my350z.com/news/jacksonvi...lack-lr-02.htm

Old 08-17-2002, 01:10 PM
I miss the .org!

I think that your idea might look a little better. I actually like the dual exhaust look alot, and am thinking about it somewhat. Your setup looks really tight the way it is right now though. If you have the time and $ to try something new, why not? But getting rid of your spare tire well to do it doesn't sound like a good idea to me though.
Old 08-17-2002, 01:21 PM

STOP WITH THE MUSCLE THING! YOU'RE TIPS LOOK GREAT AS IT IS! NEXT THING YOU KNOW IT WILL LOOK LIKE THIS (NOTE THE PIPES). But seriously, I don't think you should space the pipes out. If you want a new setup and are will to smash the tire well why not go with the dual setup everyone wants? Two dual-tip mufflers in the rear, about the same place where your current tips are now but maybe a little further out (which means cutting alittle further out in addition because it's a dual tip).
-Cyrus
Old 08-17-2002, 01:34 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Re: Re: Thinking of doing a new dual exhaust setup, need your opinions.

Well, after doing some flow calcs and some price checking and some sleeping:

I think you car looks great as-is. Dont mess with it.
Old 08-17-2002, 03:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thinking of doing a new dual exhaust setup, need your opinions.

Originally posted by mzmtg

Well, after doing some flow calcs and some price checking and some sleeping:

I think you car looks great as-is. Dont mess with it.
ROFLMFAO! I thought you ring dudes were all over 40!
Old 08-17-2002, 03:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thinking of doing a new dual exhaust setup, need your opinions.

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

It's not really them it's some kids from a while ago who call themselfs the icy hot stuntaz.

Ben,

Did you really calculate pricing and flow for me? You do know how my current setup looks like right? Muffler in normal place, normal b-pipe, 'U' shaped pipe going around tire well..its weird to think the flow is going the opposite way, but I guess it doesn't make a difference.
Old 08-17-2002, 03:44 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thinking of doing a new dual exhaust setup, need your opinions.

Ben,

Did you really calculate pricing and flow for me?
I used an engineering technique referred to as SWAG.

Scientific Wild Azz Guess
Old 08-17-2002, 04:04 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

make the exhaust tips shoot out the driver side rear passenger door. old skool style.
Old 08-17-2002, 04:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

WHAT IS THIS BONDO **** FOR YOUR EXHAUST???? are you kidding?

and cutting the spare tire well off is simple, it would take about 15 minutes with a torch and another 15 to weld a plate over the hole.

i personally am not a fan of the tips and all that, i like dual mufflers, but that's just me.

Old 08-17-2002, 06:00 PM
Master Will

just leave well enough alone.....

if it ain't broke don't fix it...
Old 08-17-2002, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by metallic97gxe
just leave well enough alone.....

if it ain't broke don't fix it...

Sadler: The bondo would be for the dual holes...what's wrong with that? you got beef with bondo?

I can't believe you guys think my setup looks tight the way it is. I am really picky though. I just need to take a cold shower and settle the hell down..no powdercoating, no exhaust changes...just a niiice shower will do me right.

I am gonna concentrate on getting my cig lighter fixed and getting a radar detector...if anyone has any recommendations for under $150, drop me one.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:18 AM

Sadler: The bondo would be for the dual holes...what's wrong with that? you got beef with bondo?

I can't believe you guys think my setup looks tight the way it is. I am really picky though. I just need to take a cold shower and settle the hell down..no powdercoating, no exhaust changes...just a niiice shower will do me right.

I am gonna concentrate on getting my cig lighter fixed and getting a radar detector...if anyone has any recommendations for under $150, drop me one.
$300 for something that isnt going to make much of a difference is a waste in my eyes. your duals look good as they are. use that $300 and save up for a MEVI.

Trevor
Old 08-18-2002, 06:40 AM

i'm jealous
i think yours looks really good!
alot of people on this forum would like to have that system
Old 08-18-2002, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
$300 for something that isnt going to make much of a difference is a waste in my eyes. your duals look good as they are. use that $300 and save up for a MEVI.

Trevor
Yeah, I mean we didn't say it looked tight, but you'd have to get so nit-picky to say it's too close together by x". Why keep pouring money into the same issue when it probably even restricts performance?
Old 08-18-2002, 11:04 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Craig-

Please don't cut up your car. Think of all the problems you'll have selling that car when people find out they have to runs with their spare flopping around the track.

Many of us have already proved that fake dual exhausts on Maximas do absolutely nothing for performance. Dual piping and bigger piping don't mean more performance. The goal is to have high exhaust velocity. More pipes and bigger pipes give worse exhaust velocity because at lower rpms, the exhaust is turbulent in the pipes and restricts flow. A mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust is ALL you need for a NA 3.0 V6. 2.5" might be even too much. I had a 3" Flowmaster catback exhaust on my 94 Z28 that had a single out 3" pipe. A 3" exhaust on a 5.7 can easily flow enough air for 400hp. I noted absolultely no change in performance (dyno and track) between running an HKS muffler and the stock muffler.

The two biggest restrictions on the 4th gen VQ:
Y-pipe
intake

Save your money and get the VI. It is absolutely incredible. Stop wasting you money on exhaust stuff that doesn't do anything for performance. What you have now looks fine. The only I'd change is the exhaust tips. I'd go with someting a little smaller and slash cut.

Dave
Old 08-18-2002, 06:44 PM

Dave,

The main reason i'd change it would be for looks. Looks and sound..performance would be secondary. I have decided against it for the time being though like I said earlier. My setup looks fine how it is, and isn't worth the hassle right now. As far as the ME VI is concerned..I was hoping it would take off around .3 off the 1/4th, but it hasn't yet...I'll wait to see what it does your you and others before I blow my mulah on that. Check your PM's, very important business needs to be settled.

BTW thanks for the input everyone.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thinking of doing a new dual exhaust setup, need your opinions.

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

i thought the same thing
Old 08-22-2002, 11:12 PM

Have you ever worked with bondo? Don't even think about using it on your bumper for the holes, not going to work.

Personally, I don't like your setup. They are a little close together, and I just prefer the dual muffler setup that Jason has. But, it's not worth all that work to change it.