General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How come more of you guys are getting head work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2000, 03:37 PM

How come more of you guys aren't getting headwork?

We all know that headwork can result in some nice power gains. Some ported heads with valve jobs and hotter cams should be a nice gain on the VQ. I would think that someone would experiment with cam regrinds. Myself I have ported/polished heads on the way along with some ISKY cams. I know for a fact that Crower or ISKY will regrind your cams to any specs you want. Also I should point out that I can get all of this done for less than the cost of a CAI/stillen intake, SS Y pipe and greddy or other catback combined.
Old 09-06-2000, 03:43 PM
The missing moderator

Re: How come more of you guys aren't getting headwork?

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
We all know that headwork can result in some nice power gains. Some ported heads with valve jobs and hotter cams should be a nice gain on the VQ. I would think that someone would experiment with cam regrinds. Myself I have ported/polished heads on the way along with some ISKY cams. I know for a fact that Crower or ISKY will regrind your cams to any specs you want. Also I should point out that I can get all of this done for less than the cost of a CAI/stillen intake, SS Y pipe and greddy or other catback combined.
It's call money.
Plus the VQ is wel very well done from the factory... I doubt the gain would justify the cost...
Old 09-06-2000, 03:58 PM

hehe

Well from SGP porting/polishing with a 5 angle valve job is $800. A SS Y-pipe and greddy cost more than that. Also my ISKY cams are only $160 which is cheaper than the PR CAI. Although I have to get new lifters $275, camshaft oil seals its not a big deal. The headwork should free more 4000+ power than anyother mod. This is of course assuming one doesn't order the full out race headwork. that would trip your OBD-II, but then agian the car's interior is probably stripped anyway. But I do know that on a 5th gen with better flowing heads and a valve job should see alot more pick up in the 5000+ range. Besides I can go VQ hunting after my heads and cams are in too.
Old 09-06-2000, 04:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

headwork

i hope to have this done by next march.2001. jwt is supposed to have cams for the vq. and i'll have the heads ported and polished, and the intake manifold machined to match, and if jwt has that chip ready for 98 maxs, i'll have one made for me car!if i had the cams reground, will they still be strong? the ones jwt is supposed to make will give 28 horsepower. along with head work andmanifold that will be about 48 more hp. and if the chip is available whatever that gives, the max could have as much horsepower as the supercharged jaguar, and the new vette.oh no.this will be nice if all is avcailable. they are supposed to have rods also.so the answer to ur question is if all goes well i will get this done soon.i can't wait.i think also that 400 horsepower should be the limet before doing some bottom end work, but as long as u don't drive like speed racer all the time u should be fine. later
Old 09-06-2000, 04:56 PM

What are you SMOKIN' nismo? >>

hehe. Your way off on the headwork. Call it $1800 (includes labor), downtime of two-weeks. Not sure of the gain, nor do i want to find out for $2k. If the JWT cams are anything like the Sentra set-up, expect 1-2 hp gain, for another $1000 bucks.
Old 09-06-2000, 05:00 PM

So Don, how am I gonna get these manuals and stuff to ya? Want me to snail mail the suckers? Or something? I'll see if my mom can scan them tomorrow at work for ya.
Old 09-06-2000, 05:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

reply to cams ..

Originally posted by Don in Texas
hehe. Your way off on the headwork. Call it $1800 (includes labor), downtime of two-weeks. Not sure of the gain, nor do i want to find out for $2k. If the JWT cams are anything like the Sentra set-up, expect 1-2 hp gain, for another $1000 bucks.
those gains are lame. they would see those cams coming threw their front window if i spent 1k on them. or get the gains in writing, and it might hold up in court.such pains.
Old 09-06-2000, 11:02 PM

Re: What are you SMOKIN' nismo? >>

Originally posted by Don in Texas
Dude I'm a do it yourselfer hehe. I just went to a salveyard and got an extra set of heads for them to work on. Once I get my heads back I can either do it myself with some help or have a mechanic install them. As for the cams I'm sure you can increase the amount of torque made passed 5000rpm+. The VQ cams are pretty tame compared to the VG30DE's cams. Besides my ported heads will fit on any VG30E or any 84-87 VG30ET block. So if I end up buying a Z31 turbo or swapping engines I can already use my ported heads and intake manifold.
Old 09-06-2000, 11:55 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

although a 5 angle valve job is nice. They gather carbon deposits ALOT more then regular or 3 angle valve jobs. I wouldnt recommend a 5 angle on a daily driver. Cams would be nice. A shop is experimenting with some cams for my 2nd motor im building to find the best setup for my Turbo..
Later
Old 09-07-2000, 05:49 AM

Another thing about regrinds...

You have to be careful about the people that do them. Places with big names like Crower are prob'ly okay, but local shops might be a problem.
Since the cam is going through a lot of stress by being reground, it might not be as durable as it was stock. If you go local, make sure it's a shop you trust that has a good rep.

Hey Nismo, I'm in Katy and if SGP does porting jobs for that cheap, I'll have to go get me some o' dat!