General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

APEX'i filters for your CAI

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 10:42 PM

APEX'i filters for your CAI

has anyone tried installing an Apexi filter on their cai? I want to know if it would fit since space is limited in there and Im not quite shure how it is bolted on the tube because all I know is that it requires some sort of adapter piece and its not like a regular filter where you just use a hose clamp...or am I wrong? If any of you Franken intake ppl with apexi filters, can you please tell me how its connected to the tube?.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Go here:

http://berktuning.com/components.htm

You need that adaptor kit to mount that filter. Then it will fit on any 3" pipe.
Old 08-22-2002, 04:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Anyone tried putting it on the iNjen?
Old 08-22-2002, 07:22 AM

it does not have a lip to it there for you can just slide it on the tube and tighten it with a hose clamp like the KNs. I myself would like to upgrade to this filter since according that dust test it does not let alot of dirt inside. Good Idea I know there is limited space in my fenderwell and the filter will bulge on the fender lining if the diameter is too large or your going to have to drop the filter much lower into the fenderwell for it to clear!!!
Old 08-22-2002, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by JAY25
it does not have a lip to it there for you can just slide it on the tube and tighten it with a hose clamp like the KNs. I myself would like to upgrade to this filter since according that dust test it does not let alot of dirt inside. Good Idea I know there is limited space in my fenderwell and the filter will bulge on the fender lining if the diameter is too large or your going to have to drop the filter much lower into the fenderwell for it to clear!!!
I upgraded the CAI filter to a much larger diameter K&N and what I did was elongated the 3.35' hole into an oval shape so I can move the tube firther out so the filter doesnt rub up on the fender liner. Im still interested in the Apexi filter swap but prices for that plus the adapters are alot of $$$
Old 08-23-2002, 12:18 AM

I just installed Bryan's kit (A'PEXi filter + adapter kit) on my PRCAI today. I had to cut about a half inch off of the rubber tubing that comes with the adapter kit, but other than that it fits pretty good. It does rub up against the fender lining just a bit, but not enough to cause me worry or create any noise problems. The next time I jack my car up I am going to see if I can't cut a bit more off of the rubber tube so that the filter will clear the lining. Otherwise there is plenty of room in the fenderwell for the filter.

It looks like a great filter. Very well constructed. I saw those reviews that JAY25 referred to...that's one of the reasons why I bought it.

Throw those Monsterflows in the trash BTW. I found standing water on the top of my MF filter when I removed it....and I don't live in a wet climate. It looks like more of a racing type application, as in use it a few times and then toss. I don't think it's meant to be exposed to the elements via a CAI. Ugh...
Old 08-23-2002, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by ljl10

Throw those Monsterflows in the trash BTW.
In the Place Racing Write up, they say that the Monsterflows are better than K&N?!!? i'm still waiting for them to prove that.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by JAY25
There is no lip on the filter. You need to use my kit to mount the filter.

Old 08-26-2002, 08:13 PM

PS - Jay, love your wheels! I'm thinking about picking up a set of SSR comps. Hmmm, but I just picked up my theta's.