General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Urgent, help me

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 06:13 AM

Urgent, help me

yesterday I put a coverage for my tilting steering wheel when the engine is closed. At the beginning, the wheel can move a little bit even it is locked. Since the coverage is tight, I used more power. I found that the wheel moved about 60 degree comparing with the original position and it can not moved after I finished. I tried to ignite the car, however, I can not move the key. At the same time, the security alarm is on. Currently,
1) The wheel can not move;
2) I can not turn the ignition key.
3) when I open the door, the security alarm appears and it disappears after I closed the door.

What is the problem? can I just try to move the wheel to original position? thanks for your help, I am anxious.
My car is Nissan Maxima 1993.
Old 08-25-2002, 06:27 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: Urgent, help me

Originally posted by jqhao
yesterday I put a coverage for my tilting steering wheel when the engine is closed. At the beginning, the wheel can move a little bit even it is locked. Since the coverage is tight, I used more power. I found that the wheel moved about 60 degree comparing with the original position and it can not moved after I finished. I tried to ignite the car, however, I can not move the key. At the same time, the security alarm is on. Currently,
1) The wheel can not move;
2) I can not turn the ignition key.
3) when I open the door, the security alarm appears and it disappears after I closed the door.

What is the problem? can I just try to move the wheel to original position? thanks for your help, I am anxious.
My car is Nissan Maxima 1993.
What are you talking about? A "coverage"?
Old 08-25-2002, 06:40 AM

In my post, the wheel means the steering wheel.
Old 08-25-2002, 06:46 AM
Sly

I think what you're talking about is the locking mechanism between the ignition switch and the steering wheel. When you turn the engine off and pull the key out, if you turn the steering wheel far enough it will lock in place. But since you have no power steering, the steering wheel pushes back against the lock with enough force to jam the mechanism and prevent you from unlocking it with the key. What you have to do in that situation is turn the steering wheel a little more and hold it off the lock while you turn the key to unlock it. the security system should have nothing to do with this. I'd still like to know what a "coverage" is.
Old 08-25-2002, 06:57 AM

In my post, the wheel means the steering wheel.
Thanks for your reply.
Since the steering wheel is tight, do you think that it will be helpfut if I use the jack to lift up the front a little bit?
I am afraid that I use too muck power to crack the steering wheel.

coverage is "steering wheel cover", maybe I use the wrong word.

Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:02 AM

you are not very clear on your explanation

It is difficult to understand your problem from the way you describe it. I don't understand the terms you are using nor the description of the problem. You may want to have a mechanic or friend near you check this out.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:09 AM
Sly

Thanks for your reply.
Since the steering wheel is tight, do you think that it will be helpfut if I use the jack to lift up the front a little bit?
I am afraid that I use too muck power to crack the steering wheel.

coverage is "steering wheel cover", maybe I use the wrong word.

Thanks again.
Getting the front wheels off the ground will help but you should not need to do that. The steering wheel is pretty sturdy and should not break. You only need to turn the steering wheel a very small amount to take pressure off the lock mechanism in order to unlock it with the key.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by Sly

Getting the front wheels off the ground will help but you should not need to do that. The steering wheel is pretty sturdy and should not break. You only need to turn the steering wheel a very small amount to take pressure off the lock mechanism in order to unlock it with the key.

I appreciate the help from every guys.
Following your advice, I have handled this problem.

Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

..also probably not a good idea to ignite the car..