General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

First night w/ my license ! CRAZY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by iansw

Yes, I don't agree with that law because it discrimiates people that can legally have a liscence, but because of their age, are restricted.

I'm surprised that one hasn't been repealed by the State Supreme Court. It's against the Constitution to make any law that is specific to age/race/creed.

I do agree, however, that noone should be allowed to have their liscence until the age of 18 at all.

But then again, I think people should have to take an IQ test to vote and to have children.

Discuss and flame on!

IanS
theres no difference between getting your liscence at the age of 14 or 18. experience is experience and thats all that counts.
Old 09-01-2002, 08:28 PM

First Month of having my lics. a women switchin lanes ( not on the highway) hits me, bouces off me and into a telephone poll, I had two people in my car my words were " You guys alright, "yes" then get out" they ran from the accident and the cop showed up shortly after, and had no idea, that accident wasnt my failt. One week before I was "legal" to drive with people i got pulled over doing 65 in a 40, and the cop said to me "oh so close and you didnt make it" I wanted to reach over and **** him up! Well that got taken care of, and that ticket was about one year ago and im running on a current clean slate on wood, but lets be honest guys driving fast is so much fun
Old 09-01-2002, 08:33 PM

I dunno I feel its all about who you are, its like giving permission to people to buy guns...one will use it for hunting the other for drug deals etc...I mean I know people my age who are just getting their lic at 16 and are fully serious and drive like my parents, others are crazy and total like 3 cars within the month. Like I said all depends on person and how they act etc. Also the curfew thing etc is stupid in my opinion, but just my opinion...I am lucky so far no tickets, accidents etc and hope it stays that way although sooner or later I know one of the two will happen...One thing I am kinda against though is putting a 16 yr old first day with his lic behind the wheel of a 98 stang st who's never driven 5 spd and letting him out on the road...Im just rambling now so I will end my post, but will add more later
Old 09-01-2002, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by maximaracer28
others are crazy and total like 3 cars within the month
Hey it was a year! I have fun driving! its cost me like 12 ticket since getting my licences 2.5 years ago. I have also owned about 7 vehicles in these 2.5 years. I also know when to **** around and when not too. I have not hurt or injured one person
Old 09-01-2002, 09:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by FameMax
First Month of having my lics. a women switchin lanes ( not on the highway) hits me, bouces off me and into a telephone poll, I had two people in my car my words were " You guys alright, "yes" then get out" they ran from the accident and the cop showed up shortly after, and had no idea, that accident wasnt my failt. One week before I was "legal" to drive with people i got pulled over doing 65 in a 40, and the cop said to me "oh so close and you didnt make it" I wanted to reach over and **** him up! Well that got taken care of, and that ticket was about one year ago and im running on a current clean slate on wood, but lets be honest guys driving fast is so much fun
So ... the woman ran into a telephone pole and you are smiling because ... why?

She could have been hurt or dying and you ran.

And then you're getting angry and want to f**k up a cop because you got caught doing something illegal?

Once again:

I feel like I should lock this thread already because it's becoming a brag-fest about what stupid things people go away with doing when they first got their licenses.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by clee130

We should do away with DWI/DUI laws too because not all drivers drive with under the influence of alcohol or drugs, right?

No, because they aren't being discriminated because of race/age/creed. Equal Rights Act.

I don't think that anywhere in the constitution it says "You cannot discriminate against those who have too much beer."

Like I said, I don't think people under 18 should drive, but the law states they can, so then because they can, they should not be discriminated against because of age.

It's like when the ACLU supported the KKK in Idaho's right to gather and peacefully protest.

It didn't mean that people in the ACLU agreed with their views, just that the ACLU understood the legal context.

IanS

IanS
Old 09-01-2002, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by densetsu

theres no difference between getting your liscence at the age of 14 or 18. experience is experience and thats all that counts.
Not true.

Ask any Brain Surgeon about how the teenage brain physically works vs the Adult brain.

The Frontal lobe of an 18 year old simply isn't developed, and most of their actions are controlled by the part of the Cerebral cortex that controls primal instinct. (This is why the sexual peak for a male is 18, for example...all primal, all hormones.) (And why i slept with some F*cked up chicks when I was 18!)

Things like competition, Fight/flight, impressing the other sex, etc, etc are very quick and reactionary. Teenagers are far less civilized, and therefore dangerous drivers. Literally. They just aren't programmed yet to think about cause/effect.

And I DON'T mean that all teens are bad drivers. I'm sure the majority were taught well and are responsible drivers. But there's obviously a MUCH larger portion of teen drivers who are dangerous vs adult drivers. (Although there's some pretty idiotic adults out there too).

So you see, it's not experience, it's maturity, which is a function of biology.

A perfect example - Me.

7 tickets (2 reckless, 1 negligent) in 3 years between 16 and 19. total cost over $5000.

Age 19-present day (28) - not 1 ticket.

IanS
Old 09-01-2002, 09:39 PM

I think the driving age should be raised, or at least have more restrictions when you first get it. I'm one of few people I know that hasn't totalled a car, gotten a huge ticket, or even had a close call.

Not even a close call for me and thats the way its gonna be
Old 09-01-2002, 09:54 PM

Not true.

Ask any Brain Surgeon about how the teenage brain physically works vs the Adult brain.

The Frontal lobe of an 18 year old simply isn't developed, and most of their actions are controlled by the part of the Cerebral cortex that controls primal instinct. (This is why the sexual peak for a male is 18, for example...all primal, all hormones.) (And why i slept with some F*cked up chicks when I was 18!)

Things like competition, Fight/flight, impressing the other sex, etc, etc are very quick and reactionary. Teenagers are far less civilized, and therefore dangerous drivers. Literally. They just aren't programmed yet to think about cause/effect.

And I DON'T mean that all teens are bad drivers. I'm sure the majority were taught well and are responsible drivers. But there's obviously a MUCH larger portion of teen drivers who are dangerous vs adult drivers. (Although there's some pretty idiotic adults out there too).

So you see, it's not experience, it's maturity, which is a function of biology.

A perfect example - Me.

7 tickets (2 reckless, 1 negligent) in 3 years between 16 and 19. total cost over $5000.

Age 19-present day (28) - not 1 ticket.

IanS
Doesn't this post contradict your previous post as to not discriminating against teenage drivers?

Teenage drivers are more dangerous and are statistically more likely to be in accidents. So in order to protect them and other drivers, restrictions are placed.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:57 PM
OG :)

Re: First night w/ my license ! CRAZY!!!!

cops are haters, they see your nice car and 16 yo driver and are in an active position to show their jealously w/o violating the law, thus you got pulled over.

maintain it thou
Old 09-01-2002, 09:59 PM

Re: Re: First night w/ my license ! CRAZY!!!!

Originally posted by Kenneth
cops are haters, they see your nice car and 16 yo driver and are in an active position to show their jealously w/o violating the law, thus you got pulled over.

maintain it thou
Yes ... because we all know that all cops just love abusing their powers.

Old 09-01-2002, 10:02 PM

maintain it thou
Actually, because of the way some teenagers act, it makes cops cynical of all teenagers.

My brother-in-law was like that when he was a cop. he was always pulling my friends over, hassling them. he'd search my room for drugs, etc, etc.

He left the force and 2 years later called me to tell me he was sorry he ever did that, and that since he spent most of his nights dealing with drunk minors, minors vandalising, minors getting in car accidents, etc, etc, it made him VERY cynical.

It's not right, but I think that's probably closer to the truth.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:05 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

After reading all these posts iansw is the only one who is right on the mark. When I was 16 I was a damn menace to society. I did not think that then, but hinsight is always 20/20.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by I30tMikeD
After reading all these posts iansw is the only one who is right on the mark. When I was 16 I was a damn menace to society. I did not think that then, but hinsight is always 20/20.
Originally posted by Vyrus

Yep the same law applies down here in Va. The rules only apply if the passenger is under 21, or if they are a family member under 18 (family members over 18 are okay). 16 - one person, 17 - three people, 18 - however many you want. I agree it is age discrimination but what can we do - if the government decides it appropriate then there is nothing we can do. BTW I have to say (although I know this is weird), I too agree that nobody under 18 should be able to drive (yes even though I know I am just 17 myself). Honestly I have seen the charts and I know that people under 18 have an exponentially higher rate of an accidents. Yet I have been able to rep the good side with no tickets/accidents/offenses luckily. Touching wood I hope I don't jinx myself. And the IQ test to have children: l:augh:.
-Cyrus

-Cyrus
Old 09-02-2002, 12:00 AM

Re: Re: Re: First night w/ my license ! CRAZY!!!!

Originally posted by clee130

Yes ... because we all know that all cops just love abusing their powers.

how did they aid the judical system in the case?!
Old 09-02-2002, 12:08 AM

Actually, because of the way some teenagers act, it makes cops cynical of all teenagers.

My brother-in-law was like that when he was a cop. he was always pulling my friends over, hassling them. he'd search my room for drugs, etc, etc.

He left the force and 2 years later called me to tell me he was sorry he ever did that, and that since he spent most of his nights dealing with drunk minors, minors vandalising, minors getting in car accidents, etc, etc, it made him VERY cynical.

It's not right, but I think that's probably closer to the truth.
thanks man for the supports. it's like micro-managing, too much over emphasis while trying to do a job (ie increasing law enforcement) is not healthy for the majority of workers long term.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:26 AM
Got Projectors?

maintain it thou
Try driving a new Infiniti around late at night in a small town..
Old 09-02-2002, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by MetaOrbit

Try driving a new Infiniti around late at night in a small town..
trust me ive been pulled over plenty times. try telling them it's your parents car, it may help "soften" them up.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: First night w/ my license ! CRAZY!!!!

I think even if the age is moved up it will be the same. People have to get it out of there system!
Old 09-02-2002, 07:16 AM

Felt the need to contribute on this one...

I too was a teenage knuckle head. I used to drive as fast as possible, street race anyone who was up for it, and I thought I was a stunt driver. Doughnuts in the parking lot, bootleggers turns, you name it, been there done that. I convinced myself that I was into cars and actually tried to be a better driver so that made me a cut above the average sheep on the highway. ALL STUPID! I'm still into cars and if I was being totally honest, I do feel I'm a better driver the the average sheep, but the recklesness has ended. Too many innocent people end up dead when we do (or did) drive stupid. The problem here isn't so much the age of our drivers but the lack of training before they're let loose on the streets. In Germany, extensive driving lessons are mandatory, traffic laws are strictly enforced, and getting a liscense means spending a lot of money, time, and effort. Not any knuckle head on the street has the resources to get a liscense. Critisize if you must, but an autobahn without speed limits (in sections) wouldn't be possible if driving were a free for all like it is here. Let the flaming begin.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:44 AM

first couple monthes I had my license I was racing an eclipse and cop turned around in then median. I cut took a backroad about 15 miles out and pulled in a friends garage and never got busted. Month later got pulled over doing 100 in a 45 and got my license suspended for 8 monthes and paid over 1500 in fines. Since the license suspension I have learned a little, I don't raise as much h*ll.
Old 09-02-2002, 09:49 AM
¿Hablas Español?

I'm surprised that one hasn't been repealed by the State Supreme Court. It's against the Constitution to make any law that is specific to age/race/creed.

I do agree, however, that noone should be allowed to have their liscence until the age of 18 at all.

IanS
Ok, could you clarify your position here Ian? How would you plan on ensuring that nobody can have their license until age 18 when you just previously noted that it's, "against the Constitution to make any law that is specific to age/race/creed"? We have age minimums to meet if you want to: run for President, Senator, drink, vote, etc.

I live in AZ and we face a huge problem with the Snow Birds. Snow Birds are the old farts who come to town during the winter only because they are too wimpy to weather the heat of a summer here. It's horrible to drive anywhere in this town when they're here in their land yachts. My experience says that after the age of 60, drivers should have to be recertified every year on their birthday. They are just as bad as, if not worse than, teenage/inexperienced drivers.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:07 PM

I wasn't even doing anything wrong thoough when i got pulled over. I just had a tailight out. But I think i handled it well cause as I was handing the cop my registration, i said "Its my first night w/ my license" and he said "step out of the car please." i was ****ing my pants at this point, Then he pointed to my taillights and I started sucking up to him and acting all ****ed that my car that i just got inspected had a burnt out taillight. But, i am PARANIOD about going over the speed limit in the city becuase when i do, my dad is making me get rid of my FrankenCar air intake, and taking away my license, nvm speeding w/ 2 of my friends in the car. haha
Old 09-02-2002, 12:13 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally posted by joaquink

I live in AZ and we face a huge problem with the Snow Birds. Snow Birds are the old farts who come to town during the winter only because they are too wimpy to weather the heat of a summer here. It's horrible to drive anywhere in this town when they're here in their land yachts. My experience says that after the age of 60, drivers should have to be recertified every year on their birthday. They are just as bad as, if not worse than, teenage/inexperienced drivers.
I've been saying that for years..

John
Old 09-02-2002, 01:08 PM

IF your only 18 and have a 02 i35...dayyam..lol
Old 09-02-2002, 03:36 PM
is invisible

Wake up.

It's a big world out there. If you think kids who drive Maximas are spoiled, then what can you say about he kids who drive Audis, BMWs, etc?
Old 09-02-2002, 03:38 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally posted by maximaracer28
IF your only 18 and have a 02 i35...dayyam..lol
Thanks. I'm pretty fortunate...and I worked hard in ways in order to be able to earn this.

John
Old 09-03-2002, 08:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: First night w/ my license ! CRAZY!!!!

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
I think even if the age is moved up it will be the same. People have to get it out of there system!
Very good point. I agree that yeah teenagers might be more dangerous because of their age and stuff but even if you raise the age of driving to 25 a 25 year old is still probably going to do the same things just to experiment and whats worse is by that time they might not have their parents to worry about anymore.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:41 PM

Patrick...

dont freggin speed... not worth it... and i dont feel like taking your intake out .

- M
Old 09-03-2002, 08:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: First night w/ my license ! CRAZY!!!!

Originally posted by RapidMax

Very good point. I agree that yeah teenagers might be more dangerous because of their age and stuff but even if you raise the age of driving to 25 a 25 year old is still probably going to do the same things just to experiment and whats worse is by that time they might not have their parents to worry about anymore.
I just find that hard to believe. Their brains are more matured biologically, and their experience is far more matured than a 16 year old.

Most 25 year olds in this country have kids to worry about, believe it or not.

IanS
Old 09-03-2002, 08:46 PM
Got Projectors?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: First night w/ my license ! CRAZY!!!!

I just find that hard to believe. Their brains are more matured biologically, and their experience is far more matured than a 16 year old.

Most 25 year olds in this country have kids to worry about, believe it or not.

IanS

Ahh...but how many 25 year olds would be having kids if they could not already drive to work, grocery store, the HOSPITAL while their wife is in labor...

John
Old 09-03-2002, 08:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: First night w/ my license ! CRAZY!!!!

Originally posted by MetaOrbit

Ahh...but how many 25 year olds would be having kids if they could not already drive to work, grocery store, the HOSPITAL while their wife is in labor...

John
Most of those 25 year olds had the kids when they were 18-21 and horny.

Old 09-03-2002, 09:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: First night w/ my license ! CRAZY!!!!

Most of those 25 year olds had the kids when they were 18-21 and horny.

Old 09-05-2002, 03:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by clee130
[B]

With the women running into the pole, she was fine, and not my fault. I was one week away from being legal to drive with people, when that cop stoped me. And no I didnt run from the accident. and plz, clam down
Old 09-05-2002, 08:39 AM

first night with my max

My first night with my license was coooooooool...er...wait...i cant remember any of it, beerrrrrrr...arrrghghg, hmmmmmm....yummy
(i did not drive after the beerrrrrrr) oh yeah, i bought my own max (92 SE, fukking lemon) when i was 17 and still making my own payments while going to college, making the good grades, and working my *** off and i'm only 18 so all you kids be more than fukking thankful that your parents buy you these cars that you all have...peace
jared