General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

If anyone cares, the oil analysis spreadsheet has been updated.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 12:06 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

If anyone cares, the oil analysis spreadsheet has been updated.....

I think the new update has somewhere around 15 or 16 new entries......some of the member descriptions have been updated for more accuracy in their vehicle background. A bunch of subtle stuff that no one probably notices, BLAH BLAH BLAH.

The Honda guys now have 2 worksheets.....

Thanks to all who have contributed, both in analysis submissions and suggestions to make the spreadsheet better.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:38 PM

Thanks for continuing this informative analysis! I think that it would be helpful if the drivers list their air filters as well. There's quite a variation in the silicon content that might be traced down to the air filters.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Green 2kSE
Thanks for continuing this informative analysis! I think that it would be helpful if the drivers list their air filters as well. There's quite a variation in the silicon content that might be traced down to the air filters.

True, but with intakes and OEM a possibility and then broken down by brand, I've noticed no pattern in silicon content versus whether CAI or stock OEM boxes are used, etc.

Usually, silicon indicates an air intake system leak, or just built up crap from improper oil changes, etc.

High levels have yet to be linked to any one particular intake system.....
Old 09-04-2002, 12:51 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

We don't care... and I speak for all of us.

I have my oil in the container... just need to mail it out.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

True, but with intakes and OEM a possibility and then broken down by brand, I've noticed no pattern in silicon content versus whether CAI or stock OEM boxes are used, etc.

Usually, silicon indicates an air intake system leak, or just built up crap from improper oil changes, etc.

High levels have yet to be linked to any one particular intake system.....
You must have that on a hidden spreadsheet. Give it up!
Old 09-04-2002, 01:12 PM
It's chrome alright...

I read and read and, like everyone here, appreciate the effort to compile this (is that enough a** kissing to ask a few dumb questions?).

1. Is there a definitive "this is the best oil/filter to use" or do I have to interpret that from the numbers?

2. From reading your posts/replies about oil (and there are a lot of them) I'm guessing you'll recommend AMSOIL 5w-30 with an AMSOIL filter (how'd I do?). But, how much "worse" is Mobil1 with a Mobil filter? Is the difference significant?

3. I saw drain/fill ranges for Mobil1 from 3k miles to 7k miles. Is that based on their oil analysis for their car? What is a recommended drain/refill for Mobil1? (I actually tried to find this number on Mobil1 website and couldn't after almost an hour of searching).

Thanks. Sorry I'm oil illiterate and I (we?) appreciate the help.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Green 2kSE

You must have that on a hidden spreadsheet. Give it up!

No, just my observations. If anything, oil history is the only 'link' I've found with regards to high silicon content. Every other way is shot down with inconsistencies......
Old 09-04-2002, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
We don't care... and I speak for all of us.

I have my oil in the container... just need to mail it out.
Promises, promises.....
Old 09-04-2002, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
I read and read and, like everyone here, appreciate the effort to compile this (is that enough a** kissing to ask a few dumb questions?).

1. Is there a definitive "this is the best oil/filter to use" or do I have to interpret that from the numbers?

2. From reading your posts/replies about oil (and there are a lot of them) I'm guessing you'll recommend AMSOIL 5w-30 with an AMSOIL filter (how'd I do?). But, how much "worse" is Mobil1 with a Mobil filter? Is the difference significant?

3. I saw drain/fill ranges for Mobil1 from 3k miles to 7k miles. Is that based on their oil analysis for their car? What is a recommended drain/refill for Mobil1? (I actually tried to find this number on Mobil1 website and couldn't after almost an hour of searching).

1. There is no blanket best oil/filter for everyone, it depends on what you're looking for.

2. For the most part, Mobil is an excellent oil. If you want better protection when pushing hard, better cold start protection, less evaporative loss, better long term performance and an oil that comes with a warranty, use Amsoil.

3. Mobil recommends whatever the manufacturer recommends, they won't specify a number.

If you'd like to learn more about lubricants, I've been putting together a collection of articles on my website. http://www.mdvsynthetics.com/actionnewsarticles
Old 09-04-2002, 02:06 PM

Bill, you know we all care. You'll probably be getting even more samples now. Can't let the Hon-Duh's get ahead
Old 09-04-2002, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw
Bill, you know we all care. You'll probably be getting even more samples now. Can't let the Hon-Duh's get ahead
I have a feeling they are going to.......I've got less exposure in the Honda world and a much higher percentage of participation. It's scary.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe

No, much more butt kissing is required.

Cliff Notes for VQs:

Dino oil:

Castrol GTX 5W/30
Drain Interval: 5k

Synthetic oil:

Mobil 1 5W/30
Drain interval: 10k with 5k oil filter change

Oil Filters:

Nissan OEM
STP S6941 (at AutoZone)

See above.

Unless you are doing extended drains (over 10k), have an unknown oil history, neglected your oil change history, the recommendations above should suffice.

I no longer recommend Amsoil oil filters. I do like their oil if you intend on going a long interval, want superior sustained viscosity protection, and don't mind paying a few cents more a quart than Mobil 1 (that's right, I said a few cents).

Again, see above.

The more you "neglected" your car, the less comfortable I would be about 10k drain intervals on any synthetic. The wisest thing to do is to take a current sample of your car and see where you stand, then it will be easier to make an intelligent recommendation based on your own driving conditions and oil history. Even if you don't sample in the future, it's good to do it once to see where you stand.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:37 PM
It's chrome alright...

this and iwannabmw's post are excellent. thanks,

No, much more butt kissing is required.

[/B]

Cliff Notes for VQs:

Dino oil:

Castrol GTX 5W/30

Synthetic oil:

Mobil 1 5W/30

Oil Filters:

Nissan OEM
STP S6941 (at AutoZone)

[/B]

See above.

Unless you are doing extended drains (over 10k), have an unknown oil history, neglected your oil change history, the recommendations above should suffice.

I no longer recommend Amsoil oil filters. I do like their oil if you intend on going a long interval, want superior sustained viscosity protection, and don't mind paying a few cents more a quart than Mobil 1 (that's right, I said a few cents).

Again, see above.

The more you "neglected" your car, the less comfortable I would be about 10k drain intervals on any synthetic. The wisest thing to do is to take a current sample of your car and see where you stand, then it will be easier to make an intelligent recommendation based on your own driving conditions and oil history. Even if you don't sample in the future, it's good to do it once to see where you stand. [/B]
Old 09-04-2002, 11:10 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Alright Bill...

I guess I'm going to have to start whinning and crying again to help raise the oil sample count.

I'm about to order from iwannabmw Oil Analyzers sample containers for the Redline MT-90, 10W-30, and 10W-40.

BTW, I've got a 15,000 mile sample on the FRIGGEN nose of OEM MT oil, ~3K Mobil Blend 10W-30, and of course the long awaited Sentra sample ready to be dropped off at the post office.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

spreadsheets r fun...mine will b there soon enuf...still got 1k miles 2 go...
Old 09-05-2002, 09:13 AM

Re: Alright Bill...

Originally posted by IceY2K1
I guess I'm going to have to start whinning and crying again to help raise the oil sample count.

I'm about to order from iwannabmw Oil Analyzers sample containers for the Redline MT-90, 10W-30, and 10W-40.

BTW, I've got a 15,000 mile sample on the FRIGGEN nose of OEM MT oil, ~3K Mobil Blend 10W-30, and of course the long awaited Sentra sample ready to be dropped off at the post office.

Alex and his promises.

Old 10-10-2002, 02:47 PM

Updated 10/10/02

Latest spreadsheet revision, dated 10/10/02 has been uploaded.

Jeff (his 92SE and the first Lexus vehicle to be analyzed), DanNY, speedtrip, srbarnes4ever, exuanja, gerhard, and VaV6 are the latest additions. Also a baseline analysis of the Valvoline "All-Climate" 5W/30 dino oil (don't buy it by the way, as its additive package is inferior and downright irresponsible for a modern day conventional motor oil).

Alex:

Keving:

Others who have promised:
Old 10-10-2002, 04:28 PM

Re: Updated 10/10/02

Jeff (his 92SE and the first Lexus vehicle to be analyzed), DanNY, speedtrip, srbarnes4ever, exuanja, gerhard, and VaV6 are the latest additions. Also a baseline analysis of the Valvoline "All-Climate" 5W/30 dino oil (don't buy it by the way, as its additive package is inferior and downright irresponsible for a modern day conventional motor oil).

Alex: :rolleyes

Keving: :rolleyes

Others who have promised: :rolleyes
Hehe. Just got all the samples together yesterday as a matter of fact. I knew you were getting ready to starting , so I figured time to get them mailed off. Damn! Getting to the post office is a pain in the ****, so it helps with the procrastination.

Coming soon, Billy!
Old 10-10-2002, 04:31 PM

Re: Re: Updated 10/10/02

Hehe. Just got all the samples together yesterday as a matter of fact. I knew you were getting ready to starting , so I figured time to get them mailed off. Damn! Getting to the post office is a pain in the ****, so it helps with the procrastination.
[repeating myself]

Alex and his promises.

[/repeating myself]
Old 10-11-2002, 08:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: Updated 10/10/02

[repeating myself]

Alex and his promises.

[/repeating myself]
Old 12-09-2002, 05:35 AM

Re: Updated 10/10/02

Latest spreadsheet revision, dated 12/09/02 has been uploaded.

IceY2K1 (pigs are now flying), ljl10, MardiGrasMax, Matt93SE, DAVEB (yeah, the parts guy), njmaxseltd, SR20DEN, RussMaxManiac, gerhard and VaV6 are the latest additions. There are a dozen or so new results.

I forgot to include eric93se's second analysis, and don't know when I'll get the chance to do it.

Lime:

Keving:
Old 12-09-2002, 07:51 AM

Re: Re: Updated 10/10/02

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bill99gxe
[B]

IceY2K1 (pigs are now flying), ljl10, MardiGrasMax, Matt93SE, DAVEB (yeah, the parts guy), njmaxseltd, SR20DEN, RussMaxManiac, gerhard and VaV6 are the latest additions. There are a dozen or so new results.

I forgot to include eric93se's second analysis, and don't know when I'll get the chance to do it. :mad

Lime: :bawling

Keving: :rolleyes
Mang, you left off a /b or something.

And it's "hell froze over" not "pigs are flying". It's actually cold out here.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: If anyone cares, the oil analysis spreadsheet has been updated.....

Thanks to all who have contributed, both in analysis submissions and suggestions to make the spreadsheet better.
Bill, do you know if they have stopped sending test kits? I haven't received mine yet. I changed my oil at 4800 this time, to see if the oil was stretched too far on 6000 last time (if that's true, I'll go to AMSOIL).
Old 12-09-2002, 08:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: Updated 10/10/02

It's actually cold out here.
What is it, 70 out there?
Old 12-09-2002, 08:21 AM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Re: If anyone cares, the oil analysis spreadsheet has been updated.....

I think the new update has somewhere around 15 or 16 new entries......some of the member descriptions have been updated for more accuracy in their vehicle background. A bunch of subtle stuff that no one probably notices, BLAH BLAH BLAH.

The Honda guys now have 2 worksheets.....

Sent an e-mail to Blackstone today for my free kit! Cant wait.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Updated 10/10/02

Originally posted by iwannabmw

What is it, 70 out there?
50ish...

I actually wore a "wind"-breaker to work this morning.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:58 PM

Re: Re: If anyone cares, the oil analysis spreadsheet has been updated.....

Originally posted by Lime

Bill, do you know if they have stopped sending test kits? I haven't received mine yet. I changed my oil at 4800 this time, to see if the oil was stretched too far on 6000 last time (if that's true, I'll go to AMSOIL).

Blackstone is fairly pokey when it comes to sending out kits.....except when I order them. I swear it seems like a couple of days after I send in samples that I get another box full of them.

If you need a kit, e-mail me.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bill99gxe

[/B]

Cliff Notes for VQs:

Dino oil:

Castrol GTX 5W/30

Synthetic oil:

Mobil 1 5W/30

Oil Filters:

Nissan OEM
STP S6941 (at AutoZone)

[/B]

See above.

I no longer recommend Amsoil oil filters.

Why don't you recommend using amsoil filters? I was planning on
running amsoil, so should I use the oem filter or the stp filter
you listed above, or another filter.
Thanks
Old 02-06-2003, 10:02 AM

Re: Re: Updated 02/06/03

Latest spreadsheet revision, dated 02/06/03 has been uploaded.
bill99gxe (99 & 94 Maxima second Amsoil one year interval results, 99TL oil and ATF results, Grand Marquis oil results), scoobybrande (12 oil results, couple of new motor and gear oil results, used gear oil results), joee12 (Integra oil, Honda 5W/30 new oil), jond (Integra Type R), johnny2kgle (2000 Maxima oil and 1994 Altima oil), and eric93se's second VE30DE oil sample are the latest additions. There are twenty five or so new results.

Lime:

Keving AND Jane:
Old 02-06-2003, 10:31 AM

Almost made it

I'm overdue on my Redline 10W-30 sample(~3100miles).

I WILL change the oil this weekend and take a sample. I need to send off an unused 10W-30 to Oil Analyzers for a baseline though.

BTW, next up is 10W-40.