General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

lost wheel lock( now what)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 07:50 PM

lost wheel lock( now what)

i think i missed placed my wheel lock somewhere and now i can't find them. i have the gorilla locks but i threw away the bag and stuff. i keep it in the glove b4 but since i removed my rims the last time to paint my calipers/ i think i threw them away!(by accident)

****/ i'm screwed
Old 09-04-2002, 07:52 PM
Ramius83

If you have a decent garage around you, they will have a wheel-lock/lug nut breaker set. I lost my wheel locks and I thought I was screwed because the normal airgun sockets could not fit in the small lug-nut holes of my Borbet wheels. But the lug-nut breakers fit right in. Have no fear my friend....

Old 09-04-2002, 08:12 PM

I think discount tire can do something about that.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:19 PM

I had that same problem a year ago. I was putting my rear sway bar on and I lost the wheel lock. I went to a local garage and they didn't have the lock so I just went to the local nissan dealer. The service manager told me that instead of charging me time he ask if a mechaine to find me a key for the lock and I give him a couple of dollars under the table. They took the lock off and replaced all 4 lock and put regular lug nuts on. I thought that was cool. So anyway go to a garage they will have keys for it. Of course, auto stores will not sell it... Mike
Old 09-04-2002, 08:35 PM

I've been guilty of the same thing.

I went to a local wheel shop (ie america's tire, wheel warehouse, etc). You know, a place that sells rims/tires.

They have a special set that is heated to hold the locks.
It wasn't expensive. For me it was more expensive
having to buy new lock lug nuts.

But this time, I learned my lesson.
When I got my new set of locks, I bought a spare key
immediately (see the box for instructions).

You know, in hindsight, I also recall an instance where
I forgot to give my mechanic my key. Somehow, he was
able to remove the wheel anyway...just to let you know
that those wheel locks are not meant to be invincible...
if that gives you some sort of peice of mind...hehe?
Old 09-04-2002, 08:35 PM

Just leave your car in the worst neighborhood, already raised on jacks for the night
Old 09-04-2002, 09:32 PM

Contact the manuf. of the wheel locks. They can usually send you a replacment. I did this with Mcgard. Another option i to hammer on a 12 point socket that barely fits and then take it off like usual.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:03 AM
syc

this is the second thread about wheel lock I've seen today. If you can't find the key or can't find a replacement, go to some tire/wheel shop. my friend and i went to this place, the guy took out the lock in 1.5 minutes. basically, use a saw and cut a thread on the lock. and use some strange wrench that holds that thread and turn the wrench and the lock is out. I was like WTF.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:11 AM

I can't seem to visualize this in my head.

Originally posted by syc
this is the second thread about wheel lock I've seen today. If you can't find the key or can't find a replacement, go to some tire/wheel shop. my friend and i went to this place, the guy took out the lock in 1.5 minutes. basically, use a saw and cut a thread on the lock. and use some strange wrench that holds that thread and turn the wrench and the lock is out. I was like WTF.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:30 AM
syc

Originally posted by NISMO808
I can't seem to visualize this in my head.

kind of like this:
Old 09-05-2002, 05:24 AM

When I took delivery of mine (demo) the dealer tried to pass off some other lock as mine. Just to be safe I tried it. BZZZZZZ. he went in to the garage, found another one. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. (that means 2 other people also lost their locks! Moron dealer Auto Gouverneur in Laval)

To make a long story even longer, there are universal keys for this application. The dealer gets them from the lock maker. 5 minute job.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:50 AM

Thanks syc. That picture helps a lot. I wonder if that wrench was made specifically for that application.

Originally posted by syc

kind of like this:
Old 09-05-2002, 12:16 PM

thanks everyone

if it was this easy, why get wheel locks?

it's so easy, the guy at the shop had like 5 lugs and one fit it perfect/ took it off in 2 seconds.

you can get that thing and steal rims so easy.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:17 PM

Re: thanks everyone

Originally posted by 1HOTMAX
if it was this easy, why get wheel locks?

it's so easy, the guy at the shop had like 5 lugs and one fit it perfect/ took it off in 2 seconds.

you can get that thing and steal rims so easy.

I guess its sorta like the Club. It looks pretty but if someone wants to they can get around it.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:47 PM

Re: Re: thanks everyone

Yep. All the lock (and alarm system) is just to deter people, not stop them. It's easier to steal a Civic than a Max, the joy-riding theif will go for the easy target.

Chop-shop theifs... well, say good by to your car, and hope they never find it.

Originally posted by ericdwong

I guess its sorta like the Club. It looks pretty but if someone wants to they can get around it.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: lost wheel lock( now what)

Originally posted by 1HOTMAX
i think i missed placed my wheel lock somewhere and now i can't find them. i have the gorilla locks but i threw away the bag and stuff. i keep it in the glove b4 but since i removed my rims the last time to paint my calipers/ i think i threw them away!(by accident)

****/ i'm screwed
The previous owner of my car lost the wheel lock key. All I did was find a 12 point socket that was just barely smaller than the locking lug (so as to provide an interference fit( and drove it on with a hammer. Not too far, just far enough to where there was enough contact area to be able to remove the lug. After the lug was off, I drove the lug out of the socket with a hammer and drift, and proceeded to do the other three. It was disturbingly easy.