General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

prob w/ground controls

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2000, 10:12 PM
j dogg

i had some ground control coilovers installed and the front ones make a clunking and pinging sound when i turn the wheel while traveling at low speeds or at a dead stop. how do i remedy this problem?

Old 12-23-2002, 12:47 PM

change your strut mounts
Old 12-23-2002, 01:26 PM

teh noises while turning is because your strut bearings are not lubes or damaged
Old 12-23-2002, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Supermax95
change your strut mounts
yeah change them if u wanna waste your money.....

....i had weapon r coilovers and they made the same noise you are describing.....if i remember correctly the noise u hear is the spring turining and metal rubbing on metal...i just got used to it....at first it was annoying but i got used to it...and after a while it seemed to not make as much noise as i though it was making.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm having some problems with mine ... but I hear a clanging from the right rear set-up. Have you guys encountered this before or heard of this problem?

It sounds like a ball bouncing on a metal pan but with each bounce it the clanging gets softer ... hard to describe .. except it's one royal PITA and my passengers freak out!
Old 12-23-2002, 05:15 PM
lcf

Ya know, wack $hit like this is one of my greatest fears about dropping my car. I hate it even when my brakes squeel!!

Oh well, gotta do it though... eventually. Sigh.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:47 PM

ok here is how to get rid of all the noise...

I have ground controls on my tokicos......i had noise when i turned and a knocking noise in the rear....
for the FRONTS here is what you do---at the shop i got mine put on..they had these rubber disks that we put between the spring and the metal seat at the top and bottom of the spring.......so the spring does not touch metal it just touches the rubber disk.....then i also lubed that thing down with "white lithium grease" ..end result..NO NOISE!...dont spray to much grease..it can look nasty...

for the REAR noise----i had tons of knocking noise....we took off the coilovers then added more rubber just like in the front coils....it did not cure the noise...then i rode in the trunk of my car while my friend drove...i saw that the top of the strut was moving up and down(which is normal) but mine was moving very very high and smacking down and making a loud clanking noise.....we then took the rear coils out and took out a huge rubber piece that was up in the top of the strut mount...i added a washer at around the top of the tokico shock.....then i put the rubber thing on...then put the whole coilvoer back together...this EXTRA cushining made it perfect..NO SOUND AT ALL!!!!....my car looks so nice..i am so happy....i have like 1 finger wheel gap all around.....the gc and tokico ride fine on these atlanta streets........i love the handling.....it is WAY !! better than my old eibach springs.........i will have pics after christmas when i get my new digi cam

albert
Old 12-24-2002, 11:36 AM

bump....everyone read this....its important!
Old 01-01-2003, 03:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

coilvers

thats funny, my kyb/agx-groundcontrol setup doesn't make any noise. some things i can think of that would cause the coilovers to make noise would be if the coilovers were loose on the strut/shocks, the cause of that would be from improper install of the o rings, the bearing that sits on top of the hat may be broken also.