General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

The max might be going bye bye

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 07:39 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

how does one get 14k for a 96
Old 09-10-2002, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by Nick Robinson

Yep its a scooby. nice looking cars and with the WRX STI engine and tranny swap that thing is a BEAST!
ok, now i remember seeing one, just wanted to make sure.
in that case, get a civic, and join the darkside like me
seriously though, i would either ride the maxima out, and sell it in a few years, or sell it now, get the $14k and buy a nice, used, reliable car ( and i wouldn't spend all of the $14k on it ) focus on the important stuff, like school.

p.s. the dark side is waiting
Old 09-10-2002, 11:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2.5 RS with WRX drivetrain = expensive.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by Lime
2.5 RS with WRX drivetrain = expensive.
About 3.5 - 4k to do the swap if you do work yourself. Itd be damn cool.

I agree with you guys though - it just would be dumb for me to buy a 14k car. Investing or saving it would be the better choise and thats what I will do.
I dont want to hold on the the max any longer because I will be making money on the sale, and thats a good thing
Old 09-11-2002, 07:34 AM
I'm so hood

I should be getting about 14k for the car. A year of interest would be like 1 grand wouldnt it?
Like Nickstam said, I'd like to know how one would go about getting $14k for a 96. Even if you were selling it complete with all the mods, it would have to have extreeeeeeeemely low miles to get that price. Either that, or one heck of a sucker as a buyer.

I'd also like to know where you bank that you'd get a grand of interest in one year on 14k...that just sounds extremely high to me.

The 2.5RS wouldn't be a bad consolation if you're sure you want to get out while you still can. With depreciation on these things, I can see where you're coming from. I think if you really just want a temporary car to own while things settle in your life over the next couple years, you could go cheaper than a 2.5RS. But there is a curve there, of "how cheap can I stand?" on one end and "how can I maximize my savings?" on the other. Reliability would be the key factor in that sitch, in my eyes. AFA the swap in the scoob...I'd go with something other than a RS to doctor up, but that's just me.

Good luck with whatever you do. I've thought the same kind of things over myself. (But I'm lucky, first two yrs of college free cause mom worked there, and finishing out here at a ~$5k/year state school, and have worked at least 25-30hrs a week every semester). I try to force myself to believe: "Always expect things to be a lot more financially turbulent than they are right now."
Old 09-11-2002, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by blizz20oma

Like Nickstam said, I'd like to know how one would go about getting $14k for a 96. Even if you were selling it complete with all the mods, it would have to have extreeeeeeeemely low miles to get that price. Either that, or one heck of a sucker as a buyer.

I'd also like to know where you bank that you'd get a grand of interest in one year on 14k...that just sounds extremely high to me.

The 2.5RS wouldn't be a bad consolation if you're sure you want to get out while you still can. With depreciation on these things, I can see where you're coming from. I think if you really just want a temporary car to own while things settle in your life over the next couple years, you could go cheaper than a 2.5RS. But there is a curve there, of "how cheap can I stand?" on one end and "how can I maximize my savings?" on the other. Reliability would be the key factor in that sitch, in my eyes. AFA the swap in the scoob...I'd go with something other than a RS to doctor up, but that's just me.

Good luck with whatever you do. I've thought the same kind of things over myself. (But I'm lucky, first two yrs of college free cause mom worked there, and finishing out here at a ~$5k/year state school, and have worked at least 25-30hrs a week every semester). I try to force myself to believe: "Always expect things to be a lot more financially turbulent than they are right now."

You think I should go even cheaper than the 2.5? Any ideas? I dont want to drive some POS, you know? I think I can find a 2.5 with resonable miles for 6-7k. Put rims, intake and exhust on it (1-2k) and call it good. Out for under 10k and I have a semi unique ride. It wont be very fast, but I cant go honda, so what else is therE?
Old 09-11-2002, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by Nick Robinson

You think I should go even cheaper than the 2.5? Any ideas? I dont want to drive some POS, you know? I think I can find a 2.5 with resonable miles for 6-7k. Put rims, intake and exhust on it (1-2k) and call it good. Out for under 10k and I have a semi unique ride. It wont be very fast, but I cant go honda, so what else is therE?
Is a 96 Maxima a POS? Not as far as I'm concerned. Granted it looks very outdated, as do all Maxs, but so what? It's reliable transportation that does its job, getting the owner from point a to b. You put it well, one cannot buy a Honda on a Nissan budget, so that's out of the question.

It's so easy to blow 30 grand, but it's just as easy to make it. I pulled the records on my house and the sellers made 73 grand off of me in a matter of owning the property 5 years. Yes, I am a su***. I may have paid too much. Ya think??

But the next door neighbors just put their house on sale Monday for 40 grand more than I paid a few months ago. Real estate is just like the dot.bomb bubble of 2000, just make sure you're not thw one standking when the musical chairs stop.

I'm trying to say take the money you have and make more with it, not less.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Is a 96 Maxima a POS? Not as far as I'm concerned. Granted it looks very outdated, as do all Maxs, but so what? It's reliable transportation that does its job, getting the owner from point a to b. You put it well, one cannot buy a Honda on a Nissan budget, so that's out of the question.

It's so easy to blow 30 grand, but it's just as easy to make it. I pulled the records on my house and the sellers made 73 grand off of me in a matter of owning the property 5 years. Yes, I am a su***. I may have paid too much. Ya think??

But the next door neighbors just put their house on sale Monday for 40 grand more than I paid a few months ago. Real estate is just like the dot.bomb bubble of 2000, just make sure you're not thw one standking when the musical chairs stop.

I'm trying to say take the money you have and make more with it, not less.
I agree. Iwasnt calling the max a POS at all, thats not what I ment. I love my car, its been great.
If I can sell my car now for what I am asking I will be making money. Then I'd put a bunch in the bank or something. I guess this all depends on me selling the car. The guy did come and drive it and he had it checked out by a mechanic and he said it was good, so now its just waiting for the next step.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:31 PM

Hey Nick, here is an idea, we can trade cars since I want a Maxima again, I will trade you my MR2 and $5 for it. Only thing is, the head is now off the block and the turbo kit I built is in pieces. Other than that, the car starts up perfectly and is great under boost! Don't get a 2.5 RS, there are too many around here now. I would say go with the b18c5 swap in a TT Supra. That one is not too common so thats cool. But whatever you do, let me know, I cannot wait to install a TV in it again! Just dont do what I am doing, trying to go to two schools, have a job, and have no car that you seem to spend all your free time on....
Old 09-11-2002, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by gregulator
Hey Nick, here is an idea, we can trade cars since I want a Maxima again, I will trade you my MR2 and $5 for it. Only thing is, the head is now off the block and the turbo kit I built is in pieces. Other than that, the car starts up perfectly and is great under boost! Don't get a 2.5 RS, there are too many around here now. I would say go with the b18c5 swap in a TT Supra. That one is not too common so thats cool. But whatever you do, let me know, I cannot wait to install a TV in it again! Just dont do what I am doing, trying to go to two schools, have a job, and have no car that you seem to spend all your free time on....
hahaha. Your too much greg!! I thought mr.two was very happy? What happened? Your going to two schools?
Old 09-12-2002, 11:25 AM

Well I was trying to go to Northeasten this semester, but that fell through due to a lack of housing, but I will be there next semester. UMaine for now.... as for Mr. Two, he is not so happy.

check it in the pics here http://greginfinity.tripod.com/led
Old 09-12-2002, 06:02 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Wow!!! Buying a car that equals your salary is a good idea? Not IMO. I'm with Frank on this one. All that cash you are wasting on a "phat" ride gets you nowhere. You're pretty much throwing it away and you could have been investing it. I'm an advocate of buying 1-2 year old cars and letting the first buyer take the huge hit. Doing this let's me drive cars I wouldn't be able to afford new.

Do any of you that buy cars you can barely afford realize that you could have bought a house or invested it and got some seriously good returns?

Nick, if you really want a new car that is super nice and is BMW-like, why not a G35 or used GS400?

Dave