General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

!!Friend SHOULD have died!! LONG

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 02:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

!!Friend SHOULD have died!! LONG

This may not have anything to do specifically with Maximas, but it should hit home with all of us. Last night, I was playing basketball when my friend gets a phone call. My ex-roommate/good friend for many years, Kadin, had just been in a car wreck. He drives a '98 Integra GSR, quick car. Anyways, we have no idea what really happened, so we go to the hospital and wait with his family. His brother, Nick, was at the hospital and had been following him when he wrecked, so we got the story from him. Kadin was driving along W. Lake Samamish, a road that parallels a lake, is concrete, and full of expansions joints. It's a fun road to drive down, but with a speed limit of 30-35 depending where you're at. He was doing about 65 when he took a corner, bounced a bit and hit the brakes, spinning out. He spun directly into a telephone pole, impacting on the drivers' side right behind the door. Nick was right behind him when it happened, so he got out and ran to the car. Kadin was passed out and convulsing, the drivers side of the car completely smashed in, the back of his head gushing blood. Nick called 911, they took Kadin to the hospital.

Anyways, this is a typical car wreck story, until you see pics of the car. After we left the hospital, we drove by where the wreck was. The tow truck guy had been working for almost 2 hours trying to tow the thing. He said everything he lifted it, it bent a little more like it was going to break in half. His car was literally "wrapped" around the telephone pole, the pole was basically in the back seat of the car. Looking inside the car i realized right that that Kadin should be dead, i have no idea how he survived a telephone pole coming 2 feet into his side. He came out with a gash on the back of his head, bruises, and possibly a bruised kidney, but thats it. The only thing he said to me at the hospital when i went in to see him was "dont speed".

We need to remember, we arent driving race cars on race courses, we're driving street cars on crappy roads. NO matter what types of mods you have done, once the rubber loses grip you're just along for the ride. Hopefully evryone can learn something from this. I myself have driven this road anywhere between 80-100 in stretches, and got a bit of a rush when i felt like i was almost losing grip on the corners. Wont ever do it again though. This wreck happened so fast, Kadin didnt know what hit him, and he shouldn't be alive. Looking around the hospital waiting room, not only would he have lost his life at only 19, but he would have ruined or damaged many others' lives. Let's think harder when we street race, or even push the limits on empty roads where we think we have only ourselves to hurt.

To the .org commuity with Love,
Ryan
Old 09-10-2002, 03:00 PM
Sports Button FTW

sorry and happy to hear this story. He survived to tell this story to many others. I hope he does well along with the rest of you.

However, street racing is like driving without a seat belt. Many do it and don't worry becuase they don't think anything will happen to them but soon enough it will catch up to us all. Today and tomorrow we are fortunate but sometimes when you're going that fast, you're not in control anymore and i hope we, along with myself (i still will street race) will understand this situation and learn from it one day. The easy way
Old 09-10-2002, 03:51 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

We shouldn't have to wait for a sad story before posting about how dumb reckless driving is.

That's why you should take offense when you post a stupid street racing story.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:46 PM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

Cars are not toys, please be careful everyone. It's everyone else's life as well as yours that you need to watch out for.

I'm sorry about your friend. Give him all the support you can, and remember those speed limit signs on the corners are there for a reason as well as to annoy you.

Cheers mate
-Alex
Old 09-10-2002, 05:04 PM

Thank you for posting this. First of all, I am glad he is alive. I hope he gets better soon. Secondly, I am only 16 and this story may prevent me from street racing for a long time. I never have since I only have a permit and I don't drive by myself anywhere far. I get my license in October and I really wanted to test out how fast the Maxima is and compares to other cars (in other words..race) and I guess I may not do it now.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:30 PM

This is a sad story that needs to have meaning. As young guys we all run wild, but until something bad happens we are invincable!
Old 09-10-2002, 08:17 PM

i was just recently in an accident, and if i wasnt wearing my seat belt, i wouldnt be hear right now. although i wasnt driving stupidly it kind of puts things in perspective. im not telling everyone not to street race, (i do it myself sometimes) but there is a time and a place to test your car out. so be careful, if you have to race only race til like 70mph, most fatal racing accidents happen at speeds over 90mph. and conditions play a large factor. me being rather young, about to be 18 have many friends that think they are invincible, (i guess it comes with being a teenager) but its not true at all. dont learn the hard way, because sometimes that might be the last lesson you had a chance to learn.