General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Ks ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 11:06 AM

Ks ?

I've been reading up on the Knock Sensor.. It seems there is alot of talk about how sensitive it is to vibration. With my new intake on I'd imagine there is a he!! of alot more vibrating going on, judging from the sound.
So, should I check out my KS? Replace? Upgrade? I read a couple of forums that say it will increase accleration.. I still don't understand how it really does help that, but, what do I know..

Any opinions?
Old 09-11-2002, 11:10 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The KS is tuned to look at a specifiy frequency deep down in the engine block. (Ping)

Your intake "noise" does not effect it at all.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:18 AM

Re: Ks ?

kewl, thanks.. Sorry to bother ya'll with a stupid question..
Old 09-11-2002, 04:14 PM
I'm so hood

Wow, a husker fan! hehe...I live in Omaha, and don't really like Husker football (or much college in general)...but you don't see that very often, especially someone living outside of Nebraska.

I kind of speculated on KS sensitivity a little while back...

https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...+AND+sensitive

On the Spec-V boards, it seems some members, and also at least one company (I think Area 51 in the development of an SC) commented about the KS being too sensitive for certain mods. I'm not all too sure if their ideas have any merit after reading and talking a bit more. A lot of the guys on there relocated their KS, in such a way that they basically disabled it.

However, Keven's link on my post shows a better way of accurately desensitizing the KS. You can basically choose how much you want to desensitize it by. So if you wanted to, you could play around with that a bit. Also, I don't know if a KS becomes a bit old and faulty over time, if it gets more sensitive or if it just starts bouncing all over as far as ranges, but I know some not-quite-registered-as-defunct KS's will retard timing inappropriately. In this case, perhaps desensitizing the KS will increase the life of the sensor?

I still have yet to play with this, and am not sure if I'm going to in the max. It'd be kind of like a frivolous little project in my stock max, maybe if I had some mods that might cause more vibration I'd want to mess with it a bit more.