General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Can anyone here hang with a 2K2 M3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 08:47 AM

Yea MardiGrasMax and company would put the hurt to an M3. Now the people with nitrous can do it too. Nitrous is a universal mod, so an M3 could install it and then bye bye Maxima. My friend and I were talking about putting nitrous on his C5, but his opinion changed mine. When you have nitrous, yes you have a fast car, but only when the juice is flowing. For example, S20DEN(not picking on you) has run 12s with his nitrous, but his car isnt really a "12 Second car" all the time. When he isnt spraying his car is a 14 second car. People say I have a 13 or 12 second Nitrous car, but IMO it really isnt. When an N/A or boosted engine runs 12s, it runs 12s pretty much anytime. Dont take this the wrong way, I think nitrous is one of the best bangs for the buck.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Can anyone here hang with a 2K2 M3?

Originally posted by JMAX95

Now that's what I'm talking about.

To fully appreciate automobiles, you must note the strong points and weaknesses:

M3 goodies:
- Crazy speed
- Crazy torque
- Handles like on rails
- Sleek styling
- Sport button (oh so fine)
- Stiff chasis
- TCS,Anti-lock, etc (all the computer stuff)
- Fun to drive (this is what you buy this car for)

M3 baddies:
- Gets SUV MPG
- $55K? please
- Maintenance costs $$$
- Don't miss that "Castrol" oil sucka
- Only 2 doors (Well it's a sports car)
- mfailure.com (not a good sign considering the ratio of peeps that actually drive M3's to problems posted.)
- Engine so powerful yet seems fragile.

I'm sure everyone here can note the good things and bad things about the Maxima. But I tell you one thing: I've had my car for 8 years now (95 SE) If I had a choice to go back in time and buy a car, I would buy the same car. No doubt that I love the Maxima engine. That is why the 3.5L version is in more than 50% of cars Nissan sells including the 350Z and Infiniti V6 cars.

have to give you props on this post JMax95!! this is a good one. But little that I knew that the M3 engine was so fragile and that sticky price!! FCK that Ill get a 350Z or a 2k2 max or an M3 anyday. I know its a Beemer but we can t be hanging at the dealers garage all the time!!!
Old 09-17-2002, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by JMAX95

Now that's what I'm talking about.

M3 baddies:
- Gets SUV MPG
- $55K? please
- Maintenance costs $$$
- Don't miss that "Castrol" oil sucka
- Only 2 doors (Well it's a sports car)
- mfailure.com (not a good sign considering the ratio of peeps that actually drive M3's to problems posted.)
- Engine so powerful yet seems fragile.

BMW offers scheduled maintence for 3 years/36000 miles, so you pay nothing. The engine problems from what I read are mainly from a November build date in 01'. I believe that the problem shows only in those builds.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can anyone here hang with a 2K2 M3?

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

BMW offers scheduled maintence for 3 years/36000 miles, so you pay nothing. The engine problems from what I read are mainly from a November build date in 01'. I believe that the problem shows only in those builds.
Free scheduled maintenance? What a joke. You pay up front. That is why the car is $55k. BMW mechanics don't work for free. Throw in free maintenace for the 350Z for 3 years and let's see how much the car costs then.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:44 AM
is invisible

Originally posted by Don in Texas
Watch out for the M3, its a pretty quick car, and its built very well (but again, its 2x the $$$ a Maxima is, it should be 2x's as good)
Does that mean the the 911 Turbo, which costs 2xM3, should be 2x as good?
Old 09-17-2002, 10:50 AM
is invisible

Re: Re: Can anyone here hang with a 2K2 M3?

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Just trying would put a tremendous strain on the car, what would be the sense? It's like thinking I'm in good shape, as strong as John LeClair, so why don't I have a shootout one-on-one with Simon Gagne? he's a pro, I'm an amateur, I'd get kicked and strain myself trying. Even if you drove as fast as an M3, while his car is hugging the road the max would be beyond its limits, and that's not a good thing.

Of all the people who bash M3's, I wonder why that is. That's like when girls hate another girl for being beautiful and getting all the guys. Makes no sense.
Sour grapes.

Thank you for saying this!
Old 09-17-2002, 10:58 AM
is invisible

Whats so fast about that?
What are you comparing it to? It's faster than our standard, the Maxima, right?

Its a nice car, but unless you have a head/cams package its not that fast.
The Maxima is a nice car, but unless you have all the bolt-ons, SC/turbo/NOS it's not that fast.
So Mid 4s, low 13s isn't fast?
For a car like this, a mere intake/exhaust can make it noticeably faster.

Now on the other hand a Z06 is very fast.
Only shot at see5 because he doesn't own one.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by CoolMax

What are you comparing it to? It's faster than our standard, the Maxima, right?

The Maxima is a nice car, but unless you have all the bolt-ons, SC/turbo/NOS it's not that fast.
So Mid 4s, low 13s isn't fast?
For a car like this, a mere intake/exhaust can make it noticeably faster.

Only shot at see5 because he doesn't own one.
Yes a Vette is much faster than a Maxima.

The standard LS1 isnt anything that fast. My friend has a 01' 6 speed, which has the LS6 Block and intake along with a Halltech Intake and Borla Stingers. Its a quick car, but its nothing compared to a Z06. Unless you have head and cams on a LS1, it cant touch a Z06. Thats assuming no S/C, Nitrous, or turbos are used.

I was spoiled last week....Drove the C5 listed above, 02' Z06, and a 69' Mustang 428 Cobra jet which is heavily modded. Thats why a say a stock C5 isnt that quick
Old 09-17-2002, 12:53 PM

Yea MardiGrasMax and company would put the hurt to an M3. Now the people with nitrous can do it too. Nitrous is a universal mod, so an M3 could install it and then bye bye Maxima. My friend and I were talking about putting nitrous on his C5, but his opinion changed mine. When you have nitrous, yes you have a fast car, but only when the juice is flowing. For example, S20DEN(not picking on you) has run 12s with his nitrous, but his car isnt really a "12 Second car" all the time. When he isnt spraying his car is a 14 second car. People say I have a 13 or 12 second Nitrous car, but IMO it really isnt. When an N/A or boosted engine runs 12s, it runs 12s pretty much anytime. Dont take this the wrong way, I think nitrous is one of the best bangs for the buck.
If a belt shreds on a s/c car, you don't have a 12 sec either. If a bearing goes out on a turbo, you don't have a 12 sec either. If you have a plug foul out on any of them you haven't got a 12 sec car either. I understand you're anology, but in the context of racing, nitrous is just like any other add-on performance part. While in good working condition, it is a performance part. If it is malfunctioning or in the case of nitrous bottle empty, you have a dead bolt-on. As soon as I get my bottle refilled, I have the performance back.

I'm not bashing anything here. Just pointing out that every modification has it's shortcomings. Some may offer more power, but you have to get it refilled often. Some offer instant access to power, but you place more strain on the engine all the time. Some may be more pricier than others. We can always find a down side to everything if we look hard enough. I personally opted for nitrous for the bang for the buck category. There is certainly people on this board that have a whole lot more HP than me. Not a problem, that was not my initial intent anyway. I just wanted a sleeper car that I could drive normally every single day.
Old 09-17-2002, 03:08 PM

I can beat a new M3 with no problem, but I don't have a Maxima
Old 09-17-2002, 03:54 PM
Administrator

oh my god didn't i hate when the juice ran out
Old 09-17-2002, 03:57 PM
Administrator

yes but the likely hood of your SC belt threading or your Turbo Bearings blowing during a race is far slimmer than running out of Juice

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

If a belt shreds on a s/c car, you don't have a 12 sec either. If a bearing goes out on a turbo, you don't have a 12 sec either. If you have a plug foul out on any of them you haven't got a 12 sec car either. I understand you're anology, but in the context of racing, nitrous is just like any other add-on performance part. While in good working condition, it is a performance part. If it is malfunctioning or in the case of nitrous bottle empty, you have a dead bolt-on. As soon as I get my bottle refilled, I have the performance back.

I'm not bashing anything here. Just pointing out that every modification has it's shortcomings. Some may offer more power, but you have to get it refilled often. Some offer instant access to power, but you place more strain on the engine all the time. Some may be more pricier than others. We can always find a down side to everything if we look hard enough. I personally opted for nitrous for the bang for the buck category. There is certainly people on this board that have a whole lot more HP than me. Not a problem, that was not my initial intent anyway. I just wanted a sleeper car that I could drive normally every single day.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
yes but the likely hood of your SC belt threading or your Turbo Bearings blowing during a race is far slimmer than running out of Juice

That is true. S/C and Turbos are IMO more reliable and always there when you need them. Nitrous is a great mod, but its not there all the time. Its only on when you turn your bottle on and arm the system. When you are off the juice or like you said run out of juice your car is back to normal. You should know best, you have had both of them
Old 09-17-2002, 04:18 PM
Administrator

That is true. S/C and Turbos are IMO more reliable and always there when you need them. Nitrous is a great mod, but its not there all the time. Its only on when you turn your bottle on and arm the system. When you are off the juice or like you said run out of juice your car is back to normal. You should know best, you have had both of them
why you think i did that i got sick of trying to race people and go.. damn..i am out of juice.. let me go spend another $37 so i can race for 10 seconds again
Old 09-17-2002, 04:23 PM

why you think i did that i got sick of trying to race people and go.. damn..i am out of juice.. let me go spend another $37 so i can race for 10 seconds again
I was in the BriGuyMax's car a few times when his PSI was too low. We held off a LT1 6 speed long enough, but we bit off more than we could chew with a WS6. The initial kick of nitrous is awesome I must say.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:38 PM

Sour grapes.

Thank you for saying this!
Yeah, I mean I'm not saying a person has to like the owner, I'm just saying if a person likes cars, and we all do, why be negative about a masterpiece of a sports car?

I just got some stuff in the mail for the new 745i/Li--I'm not sure what it is. I got a full brochure weeks ago. It has a card to return to BMW and wants to know why I would be interested in a luxury/performance sedan (it doesn't say BMW 745 specifically):

performance, styling, prestige, technology, luxury.

When you get down to it, doesn't a BMW beat a Maxima hands-down in each of the 5 choices? Why should a M3 owner feel that any of those 5 elements are in jeopardy just because some crazy Max is driving beyond its limits??
Old 09-17-2002, 04:42 PM

Yeah, I mean I'm not saying a person has to like the owner, I'm just saying if a person likes cars, and we all do, why be negative about a masterpiece of a sports car?

I just got some stuff in the mail for the new 745i/Li--I'm not sure what it is. I got a full brochure weeks ago. It has a card to return to BMW and wants to know why I would be interested in a luxury/performance sedan (it doesn't say BMW 745 specifically):

When you get down to it, doesn't a BMW beat a Maxima hands-down in each of the 5 choices? Why should a M3 owner feel that any of those 5 elements are in jeopardy just because some crazy Max is driving beyond its limits??

BMW is going down the drain. They started with the design of the 745i and will continue with the new 5 series. Chris Bangle is ruining some pretty elegant designs and implementing useless technology(I-drive for example) IMO in the next few years Audi is going to be the name to beat.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:46 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can anyone here hang with a 2K2 M3?

Wha? Where I live, BMWs are like flys man. They are everywhere. I don't think they are hurting. I agree the new 7 series design is just plain odd. If they do trickle down that design to the 5-3 series, it will probably ruin the looks. But we will see. Audi might do okay. I see lots of them also. But their owner VW is taking some $ chances by trying to upscale with their W8 Passat.

BMW is going down the drain. They started with the design of the 745i and will continue with the new 5 series. Chris Bangle is ruining some pretty elegant designs and implementing useless technology(I-drive for example) IMO in the next few years Audi is going to be the name to beat.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:49 PM

You may be right, but I hope not. I've come across the same opinion in the Roundel. But my friend just did the thing at Shea Stadium where they put the 745i against a Benz and Lexus, and wouldn't you know the BMW smoked 'em 6 ways to sundown. I think the Benz was only an 8 cyl E Class though, non AMG.

I probably would not even consider such a car until I enter my 60's, but I still like the way it looks. I think as far as history goes, BMW has always been avant garde with its styling. Maybe Honda Motors will pull a fast one and reverse that trend. They have to do something with all the $ they're getting over list price across several models.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The E46 M3 is no masterpiece and I question the technology of a engine that has had 80+ failures reported on the internet alone. We are not talking about MAF sensors going bad but catostrophic failure of internal engine components. The E46 M3 is a nice car but it is not deserving of the reputation the E36 M3 laid before it.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can anyone here hang with a 2K2 M3?

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Wha? Where I live, BMWs are like flys man. They are everywhere. I don't think they are hurting. I agree the new 7 series design is just plain odd. If they do trickle down that design to the 5-3 series, it will probably ruin the looks. But we will see. Audi might do okay. I see lots of them also. But their owner VW is taking some $ chances by trying to upscale with their W8 Passat.
Well from the pictures I have seen of the new 5 series, which is due out next year its going to look very much like the 7 series. It will also have I-drive. BMW tends to trickle down styling and equipment thru the model ranges. BMW does sell a lot of cars, but I believe that the new 745 isnt selling well. Audi is coming out with the new A8 which is supposed to be a great handling car and it looks awesome. They are also bringing out the RS6, which has 450 hp to take on the M5 and E55.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:53 PM

You may be right, but I hope not. I've come across the same opinion in the Roundel. But my friend just did the thing at Shea Stadium where they put the 745i against a Benz and Lexus, and wouldn't you know the BMW smoked 'em 6 ways to sundown. I think the Benz was only an 8 cyl E Class though, non AMG.
Ive driven the 745 and it is a great performing car, but its ugly. IMO the 740 was a better car. It handled better and its interior was one of the nicest I have ever seen. My dad was sad he got rid of his 98' 740iL after seeing the 745.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:32 PM
is invisible

Exactly. Like I said, it could be the "sour grapes" effect. Not only is the response usually negative, but people passionately bash the car as if it's some POS. If I have enough $$$ to buy an M3, obviously I have enough to buy a Max instead, yet I choose the M, should I be slandered for that?
Sometimes I miss the old BBS.

Cool, I got the same thing! I will also be participating a 7-series-beating session like your friend.

Yes, to all 5. However, some people believe that paying for prestige and image is stupidly vain. But how vain is it to say how much more superior the your Max is to the Accord and Camry?

The Maxima plays in a different arena, if you dare compare it to the M3, in which it "wins": value, practicality, reliability, int. room...feel free to add.

Well, I've drifted way OT and am bound to infuriate the Maxima community.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:36 PM
is invisible

Yes a Vette is much faster than a Maxima.

The standard LS1 isnt anything that fast.

I was spoiled last week....Drove the C5 listed above, 02' Z06, and a 69' Mustang 428 Cobra jet which is heavily modded. Thats why a say a stock C5 isnt that quick
In comparison to those beasts, yes it isn't that quick.

But it ain't slow either.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:48 PM
is invisible

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Going down the drain maybe an overstatement.
Think of the 5 characteristics Frank listed: performance, styling, prestige, technology, luxury.
Performance: going up.
Styling, which is subjective: going down. I rmember something that I read in a mag regarding the looks of the 7-series: "Please don't let it have babies!"
Prestige: uh, I guess it remains the same? If anything I think a category like this is influenced by the company's success in the racing circuits, and I'd guess that BMW is doing just fine.
Technology: I-drive, as painful as it is, is a breakthrough - going up.
Luxury: going up with luxury, I'd imagine.

I'm a bigger Audi fan, than I am for BMW. Check out my sig, the link is for my family's mechanic for the last 15yrs: Mike Galati, who tears up GT(?) in an S4.
But I think Audi's image is diluted because of its association with VW. But I wonder what $$$ cars like the Phaeton, Touerag (sp?), W8 Passat will do for that.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:01 PM

Going down the drain maybe an overstatement.
Think of the 5 characteristics Frank listed: performance, styling, prestige, technology, luxury.
Performance: going up.
Styling, which is subjective: going down.
Prestige: uh, I guess it remains the same? If anything I think a category like this is influenced by the company's success in the racing circuits, and I'd guess that BMW is doing just fine.
Technology: I-drive, as painful as it is, is a breakthrough - going up.
Luxury: going up with luxury, I'd imagine.

I'm a bigger Audi fan, than I am for BMW. Check out my sig, the link is for my family's mechanic for the last 15yrs: Mike Galati, who tears up GT(?) in an S4.
But I think Audi's image is diluted because of its association with VW. But I wonder what $$$ cars like the Phaeton, Touerag (sp?), W12 Passat will do for that.
Performance: For BMW has always been top notch, but the competition is getting pretty heated. AMG is catching up to BMW M and making really fast cars. Audi also is coming out with some fast cars thru S and Quattro. The RS6 is a good example

Prestige: All about equal. Audi is doing real well in racing too

Styling: BMW is putting out some pretty ugly cars and more to come.

Technology: I-drive isnt a technological breakthrough. GM had a system in place like this in the early 90s and it was a flop just like I-drive. The person who invented it and the engineers who implemented it should be shot.

Luxury: The interior of the 745i isnt anything special. Audi has the nicest interiors in the segment.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:02 PM
is invisible

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can anyone here hang with a 2K2 M3?

Well from the pictures I have seen of the new 5 series, which is due out next year its going to look very much like the 7 series. It will also have I-drive. BMW tends to trickle down styling and equipment thru the model ranges. BMW does sell a lot of cars, but I believe that the new 745 isnt selling well. Audi is coming out with the new A8 which is supposed to be a great handling car and it looks awesome. They are also bringing out the RS6, which has 450 hp to take on the M5 and E55.
Yup, the 7-series is having babies!

I'm not a fan of the new A8. The old model had some classy lines, IMHO, but its time has come. It has the big butt similarity (to the A6, of which I'm not fan of, lookswise.) that Audi has been praised and/or criticized for.

The RS6 is nutz! But will it keep Audi on par with the rurmored V10 M5 and inevitable SC'd E55?
Old 09-17-2002, 09:20 PM
is invisible

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can anyone here hang with a 2K2 M3?

Performance: For BMW has always been top notch, but the competition is getting pretty heated. AMG is catching up to BMW M and making really fast cars. Audi also is coming out with some fast cars thru S and Quattro. The RS6 is a good example
Yup.

Prestige: All about equal. Audi is doing real well in racing too.
Not sure about that. I still see a hierarchy among the German cars, in this order: MBZ, BMW, Audi.

Styling: BMW is putting out some pretty ugly cars and more to come.
Yeah.
Technology: I-drive isnt a technological breakthrough. GM had a system in place like this in the early 90s and it was a flop just like I-drive. The person who invented it and the engineers who implemented it should be shot.
I stand corrected. Personally, I can't stand I-drive, not that I've used it. IMHO, it's "breakthrough" in that changes everyday driving and what we're used to. But I think you need a damn class to use the thing!

Luxury: The interior of the 745i isnt anything special. Audi has the nicest interiors in the segment.

I'm not a fan BMW ergnomics, but was impressed with the 745's interior and luxury. Of course I was kept my eyes off the center of the dash. Audi has a classic German interior - too many small buttons - but I love it. It new A4 has the best dash layout, IMHO. I really don't know how one judges luxury: comfort, ergonomics, quality of material (Nappa, Alcantara, woods), etc.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:48 PM

I was in the BriGuyMax's car a few times when his PSI was too low. We held off a LT1 6 speed long enough, but we bit off more than we could chew with a WS6. The initial kick of nitrous is awesome I must say.
ummm...no.

I never ran a WS6....with you in the car or without....and I defnintely didn't lose to one if I didn't run one.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:36 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Originally posted by see5
VERY fast.
I think Nigel can beat one of those
Old 09-18-2002, 03:32 AM

Yes, to all 5. However, some people believe that paying for prestige and image is stupidly vain. But how vain is it to say how much more superior the your Max is to the Accord and Camry?
imho there's nothing wrong with prestige. Common examples of where we have paid for that is where we got our bachelor's degree, where we live, the title on our business card, so on and so forth. The only valid argument I have ever seen against it was back in the days of 99-00 when stocks were going up 17% in a day etc. Then people were saying the money tied up in stuff like cars can't be invested and is costing even more than x $. It turned out to be a bunch of bunk in retrospect, and it was a very expensive lesson for many of us.

It's really so simple, it's harder to get a 400k house than a 200k house, but when you go to sell it, you haven't lost anything. You just had to have more front money to get the former. Is it vain to choose the more expensive home? The shocking truth is it may cost less in depreciation to drive a BMW 3-Series than a Nissan Maxima because of how steep the loss is on the latter. Suddenly prestige isn't so expensive after-all. But like my other example, you have to have more front money to get the BMW. And when you don't, sometimes it's sour grapes! It's all about the delta (change), not the starting and ending points.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

ummm...no.

I never ran a WS6....with you in the car or without....and I defnintely didn't lose to one if I didn't run one.
Yes you did...Last summer you ran a black WS6 at Fairview and 75th and your nirous ran out, so you lost.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:23 AM

Maybe, but when it does....you're just as n/a as me w/o the juice. If you burn a bearing or tear up a s/c, it is substantially more expensive than a $30 tank fill up. You also have it all the time, which is a double edged sword since it puts more stress on the engine and tranny on an every day ride. When you first install either of those you are at relatively low power levels and most if not all opt to step it up on the boost. Don't get me wrong, I personally like boosted cars, I also think that most boosted cars will eventually need to step up to stronger internals to keep up with the demands of the driver. Actually all forced inductions cars, nitrous included, will eventually need some kind of strengthening at some point when the power levels rise.

So I guess the moto is...keep the bottle full and you'll be happy. Keep up with maintainance on the s/c or turbo and you'll be happy too. Everybody's a winner.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Maybe, but when it does....you're just as n/a as me w/o the juice. If you burn a bearing or tear up a s/c, it is substantially more expensive than a $30 tank fill up. You also have it all the time, which is a double edged sword since it puts more stress on the engine and tranny on an every day ride. When you first install either of those you are at relatively low power levels and most if not all opt to step it up on the boost. Don't get me wrong, I personally like boosted cars, I also think that most boosted cars will eventually need to step up to stronger internals to keep up with the demands of the driver. Actually all forced inductions cars, nitrous included, will eventually need some kind of strengthening at some point when the power levels rise.

So I guess the moto is...keep the bottle full and you'll be happy. Keep up with maintainance on the s/c or turbo and you'll be happy too. Everybody's a winner.

I guess you don't race as often as Matt(MardigrasMax), Thomas(sx7r), BriGuyMax(Brian), Rob(Tilleys99se),Adam(MY 4DSC), Matt(WA Matt) and My Self do.. because i always start off with a full bottle and by the time i get home i have nothing.. for a 10 second race.. and thats basically why we ALL coverted to boost.. you can add Synki to that list too even though his boost is not with a maxima.. and the amount of money i would spend on maintaining a turbo or SC compared to the amount of fill up's of Nitrous i do with the amount of times i race someone.. or give joy rides wouldn't even compare.. Nitrous is initially cheap.. but that **** adds up.. and it adds up quick..

its like going to a maxima meet with 2 full bottles ($70) and give a couple joy rides for people to feel the nitrous.. that $70 right there.. were as thats $0 on Turbo/SC .. i don't know if you will ever get sick of refilling your bottle.. but i did.. and obviously others did too..

you can try to feed me that crap about you are as NA as I am.. no. .if a turbo or SC brakes i am N/A = Not Applicable.. the car doesn't work.. and as i said before.. the amount of cases with boost Failure compared to people running out of Nitrous doesnt' even compare.. people run out of nitrous every day during races.. i am not knocking Nitrous .. obviously thats why is still have the dual setup.. but obviously its not going to be the strenght of my game because i am not going to keep refillign the bottle over and over..

Nitrous will blow a head gasket quicker than an SC or turbo will.. dont' fool yourself, and it will wear the engine much quicker than SC or turbo.. Rob, Brian and myself have had engine problems with Nitrous.. problems i never heard of with the SC or Turbo.. and thats why i never wasted my money getting a DP setup.. why? why use all that money for somethign you use temporarily..
Old 09-18-2002, 10:33 AM

I guess you don't race as often as Matt(MardigrasMax), Thomas(sx7r), BriGuyMax(Brian), Rob(Tilleys99se),Adam(MY 4DSC), Matt(WA Matt) and My Self do.. because i always start off with a full bottle and by the time i get home i have nothing.. for a 10 second race.. and thats basically why we ALL coverted to boost.. you can add Synki to that list too even though his boost is not with a maxima.. and the amount of money i would spend on maintaining a turbo or SC compared to the amount of fill up's of Nitrous i do with the amount of times i race someone.. or give joy rides wouldn't even compare.. Nitrous is initially cheap.. but that **** adds up.. and it adds up quick..

its like going to a maxima meet with 2 full bottles ($70) and give a couple joy rides for people to feel the nitrous.. that $70 right there.. were as thats $0 on Turbo/SC .. i don't know if you will ever get sick of refilling your bottle.. but i did.. and obviously others did too..

you can try to feed me that crap about you are as NA as I am.. no. .if a turbo or SC brakes i am N/A = Not Applicable.. the car doesn't work.. and as i said before.. the amount of cases with boost Failure compared to people running out of Nitrous doesnt' even compare.. people run out of nitrous every day during races.. i am not knocking Nitrous .. obviously thats why is still have the dual setup.. but obviously its not going to be the strenght of my game because i am not going to keep refillign the bottle over and over..

Nitrous will blow a head gasket quicker than an SC or turbo will.. dont' fool yourself, and it will wear the engine much quicker than SC or turbo.. Rob, Brian and myself have had engine problems with Nitrous.. problems i never heard of with the SC or Turbo.. and thats why i never wasted my money getting a DP setup.. why? why use all that money for somethign you use temporarily..
I wasn't trying to start a ****ing contest on this, but I guess you do. Anyway, I race as often as possible. I never said that at the end of race the bottle was still useful, but since I only race at the track and not on the street...I don't care. I come home and go down the street and get it filled, and I'm ready for the next time. Nitrous, as you know, can be your friend or foe. The only thing separating the two is tuning, period. You didn't want to invest the money on DP, but went out and paid 3 times as much for a s/c. You say tomato, and I say tomatoe...at $30 a bottle (if you're completely empty) it would take 100+ bottles to equal your INITIAL investment. That's not taking into consideration if you added the usual add-ons and labor. So you see, as I said in the beginning, the best bang for the buck is Nitrous, period. I never said it was better than boost, I just stated the obvious because someone said that nitrous was not worth it.

This whole thread started asking about keeping up with some car. Someone said I could. I thanked them for that. Why are you trying to instigate an argument? You have a fast car from what I hear, and I never tried to say otherwise. Just chill out and recognize that not all opinions are meant to be taken as derrogatory. We could argue all day about s/c vs. nitrous, but that's not the subject of this thread. If you want to do that, start a thread and we can discuss the differences there.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:19 AM
Administrator

I wasn't trying to start a ****ing contest on this, but I guess you do. Anyway, I race as often as possible. I never said that at the end of race the bottle was still useful, but since I only race at the track and not on the street...I don't care. I come home and go down the street and get it filled, and I'm ready for the next time. Nitrous, as you know, can be your friend or foe. The only thing separating the two is tuning, period. You didn't want to invest the money on DP, but went out and paid 3 times as much for a s/c. You say tomato, and I say tomatoe...at $30 a bottle (if you're completely empty) it would take 100+ bottles to equal your INITIAL investment. That's not taking into consideration if you added the usual add-ons and labor. So you see, as I said in the beginning, the best bang for the buck is Nitrous, period. I never said it was better than boost, I just stated the obvious because someone said that nitrous was not worth it.
I wasn't starting a ****ing contest.. some made mention that a Nitrous car is not a 12/13 second car all the time.. i meerly agreed because i have been there done that.. too much issues to determind that factor.. bottle pressure.. amount of nitrous.. flipping the switch.. blah blah blah.. too much factors to determine when you just had a GS 400 or S4 pull up beside you and then you are going to decide if you win that race or not.. where as with SC or Boost.. its no question.. if you were a 12 second car 10 seconds before the race.. you are a 12 second car after hte race.. some of us like to race longer than 10 seconds.. Nitrous in the begging is the best bang for the buck.. but it adds up.. by the time you are done buying gauges and bottle warmer and all that other stuff.. boom you are at $2000.. then i don't know about you.. but i was going through 2 bottles every week.. i know others have gone through more.. and i had my NOS for 5 months.. thats 5 months is 20 weeks and 2 bottles for 20 weeks is $800 at $40 a fill up.. can you imagine the guys that pay $50? i don't know about you.. but $2800 in 5 months i could have both a used blower and not worry about the factors when racing..

This whole thread started asking about keeping up with some car. Someone said I could. I thanked them for that. Why are you trying to instigate an argument? You have a fast car from what I hear, and I never tried to say otherwise. Just chill out and recognize that not all opinions are meant to be taken as derrogatory. We could argue all day about s/c vs. nitrous, but that's not the subject of this thread. If you want to do that, start a thread and we can discuss the differences there.
I agreed that Nitrous car is not the same as a SC/Turbo car all time.. thas all i did.. how i got in this argumetn with you.. thats another story... whether i have a fast car or not.. i still agree with the main point that brought us here.. a Nitrous car is not a 12 second car all the time.. its a temprary 12 second car.. I am chilled.. if you hang out here alot.. you will know that i am chilled and i am not even makign any big deals about this.. like i said before.. i went with Nitrous first ($375 JC Witney deal) because it was cheaper and bashed the SC guys over and over.. because hey.. a 100 shot Nitrous car will kill a 10 PSI SC car.. a 10 PSI turbo car? i dunno.. thats why i went Turbo over SC .. so i am not bashing Nitrous.. just mainly makgn a point
Old 09-18-2002, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by emax95
Given the opportunity to race a new M3 I would I know I would loose but it would not be that that bad. They trap only 3-4 MPH higher then me. Of course I would get killed off the line
M3 Performance - 1/4 Mile 13.3 @ 107mph. You only trap at 99mph so that would make it 8mph. But in your shoes I would still race the M3 like you said. You never know if they know how to drive!
Old 09-18-2002, 12:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Str8ridin
pshhh, hang with an M3? Some of you guys, yes.

New Audi Rs6? ALL maxima's will be hanging...on it's bumper and wake. Even the wagon version.
I have heard that the US production of this car is going to be very limited (as in under 1000 imported). . . If this is true, the chances of someone seeing one and actually having the chance to race one would be very slim, although with 450 horses, it would take a lot for any of us to keep up within a couple car lengths.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:29 PM

Any car that has it's modded is going to be at the mercy of many outside factors. Your turbo is finicky about the weather, it runs better at certain temps, and requires substantially more additional modifications than does a nitrous setup. I'm not going to split hairs here, but how many gauges, heaters, and other stuff does it take to get to $1000? Personally, I have 3 gauges, heater, opener, and blanket and I didn't pay anywhere near $1000 for them. Anyway, you obviously are the exception because usually the nitrous guys I talk to do not go thru 2 bottles a week. Geez, are you just out flipping the juice all the time? No wonder you had engine problems. Since you didn't ever have a DP setup, how did you get from $375 to $2000 so quick?

Either way, the quickest time for any car is just that...a quickest time. If your car runs a 12 sec today, there is no guarantee that it will run it tommorow. Nitrous, s/c, or turbo there is a huge number of factors that go into consistency. I totally disagree with both you and the young man who stated that a 12 sec nitrous car is not a 12 sec car. I agree that there is a big advantage to having the power on tap w/o having to think about how much is left in the tank. I give you that, no problem. You should also agree with my very first point...it is the best bang for the buck and it's just as much a power adder as is your turbo or s/c.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Any car that has it's modded is going to be at the mercy of many outside factors. Your turbo is finicky about the weather, it runs better at certain temps, and requires substantially more additional modifications than does a nitrous setup. I'm not going to split hairs here, but how many gauges, heaters, and other stuff does it take to get to $1000? Personally, I have 3 gauges, heater, opener, and blanket and I didn't pay anywhere near $1000 for them. Anyway, you obviously are the exception because usually the nitrous guys I talk to do not go thru 2 bottles a week. Geez, are you just out flipping the juice all the time? No wonder you had engine problems. Since you didn't ever have a DP setup, how did you get from $375 to $2000 so quick?
you are talking about turbo and SC failure like its and everyday thing..these are minor cases.. filling the bottle is a regular thing.. to have a 12 second car you MUST fill your bottle.. the guys i know here go through 2 bottles a week.. some guys go through 3 bottles a weekend only.. maybe you dont' get that many races and thats why Nitrous is not a big expense for you.. for me it was.. the amount of times i needed power on tap vs the amount to filling the bottle was adding up..

Either way, the quickest time for any car is just that...a quickest time. If your car runs a 12 sec today, there is no guarantee that it will run it tommorow. Nitrous, s/c, or turbo there is a huge number of factors that go into consistency. I totally disagree with both you and the young man who stated that a 12 sec nitrous car is not a 12 sec car. I agree that there is a big advantage to having the power on tap w/o having to think about how much is left in the tank. I give you that, no problem. You should also agree with my very first point...it is the best bang for the buck and it's just as much a power adder as is your turbo or s/c.
i said the INITIAL best bang for the buck is Nitrous.. however its cheaper to go SC or Turbo for the long run. you said that the turbo and sc cars arn't consistent to weather.. isn't that the same as low bottle pressure? correct me if i am wrong.. and tell you what.. if we are doing a caravan like we always do here up north.. from MA to NJ .. you can win the first leg of races.. but guess what.. sooner or later all those boosted cars are going to be kicking your **** all the way to NJ.. and whats the big deal if you won the races from MA to CT.. now you can't race anymore because you are out of juice.. and that my friend is why a Nitrous car is not a 12 second car all the time.. its a tempoary 12 second car.. as i said before..

Quick Reply: Can anyone here hang with a 2K2 M3?