General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Stripped nut!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 07:29 PM

Stripped nut!

Today I was trying to drop down my steering column so that I could swap in my new SE gauges. To make a long story short, I got one nut off but the other got a little bit stripped after pliers etc and the socket keeps slipping. My question is: would the gatorgrip thing - the kind that can conform to any nut - work on this? Any advice as to how to get it off? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-16-2002, 07:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Stripped nut!

Originally posted by gepetto
Today I was trying to drop down my steering column so that I could swap in my new SE gauges. To make a long story short, I got one nut off but the other got a little bit stripped after pliers etc and the socket keeps slipping. My question is: would the gatorgrip thing - the kind that can conform to any nut - work on this? Any advice as to how to get it off? Thanks in advance!
Things I would try in order of priority:
1. Vise grips
2. Nut breaker if you have one and have enough space to use it (can buy at Sears).
3. Dremel tool to cut nut in half
4. Cut bolt with hack saw, requires new bolt but bolt is probably stripped already. Besides you'll need a new nut anyway. Pep Boys sells bulk SAE and Metric nuts and bolts. They have a pretty good selection.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:26 PM

The problem w/ ur suggestions is there is no room near that nut. You can barely stick ur hand up there. I know what hes talking about, the best way is to use a socket extention, which he didnt!
Old 09-17-2002, 02:48 PM

OK brian, i tried the socket extension, i just done have a very long one. i also tried my ratchet screwdriver. for some reason, this bolt feels like its on waaayyy tight cause that socket on the driver was slipping. now its to the point that the socket spins freely around it almost without catching. heres the thing. i have a pair of visegrips on there now. for the life of me i cant turn them hard enough to turn this bolt. any ideas on this. perhaps applying a bit of WD40 up there? please help!
Old 09-17-2002, 04:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by gepetto
OK brian, i tried the socket extension, i just done have a very long one. i also tried my ratchet screwdriver. for some reason, this bolt feels like its on waaayyy tight cause that socket on the driver was slipping. now its to the point that the socket spins freely around it almost without catching. heres the thing. i have a pair of visegrips on there now. for the life of me i cant turn them hard enough to turn this bolt. any ideas on this. perhaps applying a bit of WD40 up there? please help!
If you have room try using a pair Channel locks to turn the vice grips, this will give you additional leverage. AS a last resort you might have to drill the head of the bolt out will holding the nut with vice grips!
Old 09-17-2002, 05:28 PM

This tool might work. Depends on how big the nut is and whether you can get the tool onto the nut. It's actually a stud remover, but I have used mine on stripped nuts and bolts as well.

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00904458000

If not, try this one: it's a nut cracker, and it will break the nut right off of the bolt.

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00904772000
Old 09-17-2002, 08:16 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

thanx guys.

i have a stripped nut that really (p)issed me off and ruined my day but you guys gave me some alternate routes. thanx.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by nismo2020
thanx guys.

i have a stripped nut that really (p)issed me off and ruined my day but you guys gave me some alternate routes. thanx.

Be sure and throw your pliers away when you get the nut off. The only pliers worth having are the needle-nose type. These have some legitimate uses and you won't be tempted to use them on a nut.