General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Place Racing Intake exprience, and my reasons for it as #1

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 05:31 PM
Handsome

Place Racing Intake exprience, and my reasons for it as #1

I have been looking at intakes for a short time now and I believe that the Place Racing CAI or Cattman CAI would be the best choice. If anyone has the intakes, or has had them please leave a short reply about your exprience.

The reasons I chose these are the following.

Pop Chargers - Get the air from inside the engine at the top, since heat rises, and there is a hood to block it's escape this is about the hottest place to be, but the lack of piping makes it less restrictive.

Hybrid Intakes - Still get the air from the hottest place, but adds a midpipe which in the case of a CAI would be considered restricitng, but for the hybird seems to be taken as an advantage to harness air.

Injen CAI - gets the intake lower in the engine bay, and has shorter piping than most CAI's, but it is placed between the radiator and the engine, which is still a hot place to be.

Most CAI - Use long piping and various bends to get the intake down and away from the heat of the engine, but as was stated on the Hybrid Intakes, this long tubing and various bends become restrictive.

Place Racing and Cattman CAI - Uses a short tube with only one bend, gets the air from outside the engine bay without having to use long tubing to get away from the engine heat, the fender well acts as a heat shield, and the foam filter element is reported to have better flow characteristics then K&N. This seems to me to be a better design than any other CAI because of it's much shorter tubing, and the intake is actually outside the engine bay.

Thanks in advanced for your comments
Old 09-17-2002, 05:38 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

They are actually the same. Cattman rebadges the PR ones
Old 09-17-2002, 06:08 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

are you sure about that? i thought he designed his to have a straighter pipe as to cure the obnoxious
resonance.

this is a searchable topic.
i'd like to rebute several of your points, but i already have.. in old posts.

Originally posted by NickStam
They are actually the same. Cattman rebadges the PR ones
Old 09-17-2002, 06:23 PM
Handsome

Originally posted by Chebosto
are you sure about that? i thought he designed his to have a straighter pipe as to cure the obnoxious
resonance.

this is a searchable topic.
i'd like to rebute several of your points, but i already have.. in old posts.

If I remember correctly you had a place racing CAI on your car before you supercharged it. What was your exprience and please give me any opinions you may have.

Old 09-18-2002, 01:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I concur all the way on the PRcai. I do believe it is the #1 intake since it really does get the coldest air. Cold air = Dense Air = Better.

Dixit