General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 09:56 PM

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

I am testing one of these magnetic oil drain plusg as the benefits of removing ferrous and some non-ferrous materials from the oil down to 5 microns appears impressive.
I have also taked to these folks at Super Plug about a group buy. If you are interested, let me know either by a post or pm. They are about $20 plus $7.95 shipping but we may able to get 20-25% off if enough folks are intested.http
Old 09-20-2002, 06:26 AM

Re: Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Originally posted by nick778
I am testing one of these magnetic oil drain plusg as the benefits of removing ferrous and some non-ferrous materials from the oil down to 5 microns appears impressive.
I have also taked to these folks at Super Plug about a group buy. If you are interested, let me know either by a post or pm. They are about $20 plus $7.95 shipping but we may able to get 20-25% off if enough folks are intested.http
that sounds interesting, but I have a couple of questions.

How well does the magnetic field travel through oil?

Will the adjacent metal parts (oil pan) also become magnetized and thus reduce the effectiveness of the design?
Old 09-20-2002, 06:46 AM

The only drawback to a magnetic drain plug is cleaning the metal particles off.

I put a small rare-earth magnet (taken from a dead hard drive) on the end of my oil filter. When I replace the filter, the metal particles get thrown out with it.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:45 AM

The plug shell itself is made of a material so it isn't magnetized and the magnet is held in the end in a small cup so the oil pan doesn't get magnetized. I have no idea of magnetic fields and the oil itself. Also, there benefits of using a magnetic plug over a filter magnet. I've attached a link that explains this better than I could.

www.superlug.com
www.superplug.com and this oil forum...the oil drop(go to the 3rd page of the oil filter forum and look for the magnetic drain plug topic)

theoildrop
The Oil Drop

This is a very high quality plug and magnet and not of the normal variety found in autoparts stores.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:46 PM

Interesting reading. It does look like a high quality unit.

In the oil filter forum, I don't buy into the premise that the oil is flowing too fast or has too much turbulance for the magnet to work.

I did cut open a filter and found a small pinch of metal filings opposite where the magnet was.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:20 PM

I do not personally know or am aware of the effectiveness of filter magnets. But it does appear the magentic drain plug magnet from superplug is a much stronger magnet and does also have gravity working for it.
Like I mentioned, I did buy one and installed it last night. Will let eveyone know what I think when I change my oil next.
Seems worth the nominal cost IMHO especially since it traps sub 10 micron particles that cause abrasion of internal engine soft metals that also end up in the oil flow. Difficult to accomplish the same with a regular oil filter.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:10 PM

Interested.

Definitely interested. I know 4th Gen Max have the magnetic items inside the oil drain pan. It would be nice to have them in the engine oil pan as well.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

95% of aircraft have a magnet on the drain plug to pick up ferrous metals. Sure the filter will catch it also, but this way your oil pump doesn't have to grind them thru, an maybe lose some oil presure.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:58 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

i think alot of auto parts stores should carry magnetic drain plugs. anyways, i was gonna get this before and a guy brought up a good point to me. Our block/pistons are aluminum. main bearings are bronze. so what is magnetizeable in the motor?
Old 09-21-2002, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
i think alot of auto parts stores should carry magnetic drain plugs. anyways, i was gonna get this before and a guy brought up a good point to me. Our block/pistons are aluminum. main bearings are bronze. so what is magnetizeable in the motor?
Rings(riding in the block and on pistons), crank & cam(riding on those bearings), valves, timing chain, sprockets, springs, oil pump, and probably other stuff that wears/chips/breaks etc

I have used several from pepboys/autozone. It surprised me on what it caught. And it wasn't just metal dust. Reminds me of the metal flakes on the manual tranny magnetic drain plugs and dust on the ATF pan magnets--all at the same time.
The thread finish on the magnetic plugs sucked(a little loose). Buy a couple and pick the one with the best(wobble free) fit and return the rest.
I recommend to use a little teflon sealant on the threads and a new crush washer/gasket at each oil change. I've been known to reuse the copper washers indefinitely with no leaks. With the parts' stores magnetic drain plugs, the rubber washer, that it came with, doesn't last more than 2 changes.
Old 09-21-2002, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
Crankshaft, camshafts, timing chains and gears, valve springs, valve keepers, oil pump.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:23 AM

It is the ferrous(iron/steel) metals chips and particles that help tear up the softer metals(bronze and aluminium). What I like about this particular magnetic drain plug is that it has a rare earth magnet that is much more powerful than most and captures sub 10-15 micron particles that most oil filters do not capture or capture effectively. Further it is of very high quality and warrantied for life.
Old 09-25-2002, 06:34 PM

Are we going to have a GD for this or not?

Guys,

I am ready to order these from those guys. I am thinking to order 2, one for my Max and the other one for my gf's max.

Are we going to have a GD for this or not? If not, I'll just buy 10 or more, install the two that I need and sell the rest for 25$ shipped.......

The funny thing is, shipping price do not change when even if I order 20........

It is the ferrous(iron/steel) metals chips and particles that help tear up the softer metals(bronze and aluminium). What I like about this particular magnetic drain plug is that it has a rare earth magnet that is much more powerful than most and captures sub 10-15 micron particles that most oil filters do not capture or capture effectively. Further it is of very high quality and warrantied for life.
Old 09-25-2002, 06:46 PM

Only 2 people indicated any interest to me and that wouldn't be enough for a group deal. It would be great if you ordered several and could sell them to org members at a discount. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:35 PM

Hmm...only two, eh......

I suppose I could order like..err....5 and just sell the other 3. You know, I will talk to those guys and let's see what price we could have if I order everything at the same time.

Thanks!

Only 2 people indicated any interest to me and that wouldn't be enough for a group deal. It would be great if you ordered several and could sell them to org members at a discount. Thanks.