General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Possible to bore and/or stroke the 3.0L VQ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 08:16 AM
VQ Wizard

Re: Yes! Thank you!

Originally posted by Black VQ

That's the whole point I've been trying to get across. Option 1: Bore your stock VQ30DE block, you'll spend a lot of $$$ and only have 3.2L.
Option 2: Stroke your VQ30DE, you'll spend a lot of money and only have 3.3L.
Option 3: Do both, spend a ton of money, and you'll have a "poor man's" VQ35DE. It won't be as strong because of the stress that overboring put on the block, and you'll have a crazy compression ratio.

Option 4: Do it the right way by getting a VQ35DE. It'll be cheaper in the long run, and there will be less engine modifications to make it work. The block will be stronger because it has the '3.2L' bore from the start, and not an overbore. And in a 4th gen, you know a 3.5L would rip it up.
err...

There is no way possible for anyone to bore a VQ30DE out to 3.2 liters. A bore of just 1mm (94mm total) will only get you to 3052 cc's and thats pushing it. +2mm will get you 3117 cc's and if you did that you would have to re sleeve the block.

Using a VQ35 (81.4mm) crank in a VQ30 (73.3mm) will indeed give you 3317 cc's. And if you do both together using a maxium safe bore of 94mm the result is 3389 cc's or 3.4 Liters. VQ34DE anyone? lol

Obviously the best way to go is to simply use the VQ35DE short block and do no machining. If you bore a VQ30DE you will ahve to get custom pistons and still buy the VQ35 crankshaft AND connecting rods because they are shorter.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:26 AM
Administrator

JUN has no stroker kit for the maxima.. believe me i call them enough times askign them to make one.. they see no interest and they won't.. the only one out is the RB, VG and SR's

Phil was the one who started that BS about JUN having a maxima stroker kit

here is the US website http://www.junusa.com/

Originally posted by NickStam
It was a JUN Stroker kit.

I can't find it though

http://www.junauto.co.jp/products/index-e.html

if anyone can read Japanese, look here:

http://www.jun.co.jp/
Old 09-25-2002, 10:45 AM
Keven97SE

A little more details on the 3.3L deal:

To get a 3.3L VQ, one would have to drop in the 3.5L crank and connecting rods as well as machine 1 mm off the top of the 3.0L pistons. Look at the specs for both motors. The 3.5L uses the same crank main bearing size and the 3.5L rods use the same piston pin diameter. The only problem is the 3.5L pistons have a 1mm shorter pin-to-top length, so the 3.0L pistons would need to be machined down 1 mm (barely anything).

Additionally, since this would lead to an 11:1 compression ratio, it is likely the engine would detonate moderately. The only way to get around this is to have the head chamber volume increased
(to reduce the CR) or smoothed (to increase detonation resistance). However, one could instead drop in the new JWT cams. This drops the effective CR by dropping the cranking pressure and will allow the motor to keep the higher 11:1 CR. This would also obviously benefit the motor by extending the torque peak and increasing HP.

By my estimates, a 3.3L motor would easily make 280+ HP and 270+ ftlbs. The increase in displacement is worth a 10%ish increase over a 3.0 and the increase in CR is worth an additional 10%ish. The total cost would be on the order of $4500. Specifically:
- Spare VQ35DE engine (no one would be able to source only the crank and rods for such a new motor): $1500
- JWT cams and valve springs: $1500
- Piston machining, cylinder honing, and additional labor/miscellaneous costs: $1500

Also note that the motor would need to be pulled for this job. The cam work is not really feasible with the motor in the vehicle (on the Maxima, anyway), and the 3.0L cylinders would need to be honed since with the stroker crank the pistons would extend further down the cylinders, and if the motor has any significant (30K+) miles on it, will have developed a slight wear ridge at the point of lowest piston travel. The ridge would significantly impact the smoothness and life of a stroked motor as the pistons travel down onto and up past the transition "ridge".

Old 09-25-2002, 10:48 AM
Administrator

I am not gay or anything.. but i love reading your posts
Originally posted by Keven97SE
A little more details on the 3.3L deal:

To get a 3.3L VQ, one would have to drop in the 3.5L crank and connecting rods as well as machine 1 mm off the top of the 3.0L pistons. Look at the specs for both motors. The 3.5L uses the same crank main bearing size and the 3.5L rods use the same piston pin diameter. The only problem is the 3.5L pistons have a 1mm shorter pin-to-top length, so the 3.0L pistons would need to be machined down 1 mm (barely anything).

Additionally, since this would lead to an 11:1 compression ratio, it is likely the engine would detonate moderately. The only way to get around this is to have the head chamber volume increased
(to reduce the CR) or smoothed (to increase detonation resistance). However, one could instead drop in the new JWT cams. This drops the effective CR by dropping the cranking pressure and will allow the motor to keep the higher 11:1 CR. This would also obviously benefit the motor by extending the torque peak and increasing HP.

By my estimates, a 3.3L motor would easily make 280+ HP and 270+ ftlbs. The increase in displacement is worth a 10%ish increase over a 3.0 and the increase in CR is worth an additional 10%ish. The total cost would be on the order of $4500. Specifically:
- Spare VQ35DE engine (no one would be able to source only the crank and rods for such a new motor): $1500
- JWT cams and valve springs: $1500
- Piston machining, cylinder honing, and additional labor/miscellaneous costs: $1500

Also note that the motor would need to be pulled for this job. The cam work is not really feasible with the motor in the vehicle (on the Maxima, anyway), and the 3.0L cylinders would need to be honed since with the stroker crank the pistons would extend further down the cylinders, and if the motor has any significant (30K+) miles on it, will have developed a slight wear ridge at the point of lowest piston travel. The ridge would significantly impact the smoothness and life of a stroked motor as the pistons travel down onto and up past the transition "ridge".
Old 09-25-2002, 10:56 AM
Keven97SE

Originally posted by SprintMax
I am not gay or anything.. but i love reading your posts

Old 09-25-2002, 03:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

is it me or are you guys forgetting that the ECU and fuel pumps are going to need to be changed as well? I doubt they would be too happy performing stock to that many internal changes. It would be cool and all, but way too expensive as an "everyday" mod.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:05 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by Lime
is it me or are you guys forgetting that the ECU and fuel pumps are going to need to be changed as well? I doubt they would be too happy performing stock to that many internal changes. It would be cool and all, but way too expensive as an "everyday" mod.
Im guessing that the ECU would need to be tuned to optimise the new hardware but should work fine to within 95% of what it needs since it's MAF based.