General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I need everybody's opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2000, 07:28 PM

It's winter and my Max is still under warranty. This means I won't be modding my car yet but I'm in the process of planning out what mods go on first and etc.

I plan to do these in order:
GReddy exhaust(maybe), Courtesy b-pipe, R/T cat converter, Cattman y-pipe, and Place Racing CAI.

Should I go about as what I have planned or do I go the other way around and start with the CAI first? And what is the break-in period for each mod?
Old 12-19-2000, 07:50 PM

I would get this->

I would get the stillen intake, because there is less hassle, you can easily put factory back on when you want to.
Then, I would get the y-pipe. I would recommend keeping the muffler stock.
When I used to have my 98, I had Stillen Intake, Y-pipe, and custom catbck. The custom catback was loud as hell.
I just had to take it off after few months.

I think just the intake and y-pipe provides enough power upgrades. If you really want to get every bit of juice out, maybe you can get courtesy b-pipe with the factory muffler.
I HEAVILY adivise you to keep your factoyr muffler, unless your car is supercharged.

Old 12-19-2000, 08:07 PM

Re: I would get this->

Originally posted by ArcticMax
I would get the stillen intake, because there is less hassle, you can easily put factory back on when you want to.
When I used to have my 98, I had Stillen Intake, Y-pipe, and custom catbck. The custom catback was loud as hell.

I think just the intake and y-pipe provides enough power upgrades. If you really want to get every bit of juice out, maybe you can get courtesy b-pipe with the factory muffler.
I HEAVILY adivise you to keep your factoyr muffler, unless your car is supercharged.

The Stillen intake

I understand that it sits under the hood. What about the heat issues when it comes to the summertime?
Old 12-19-2000, 08:53 PM

Re: Re: I would get this->

Nah, it won't get too hot. The CAI will be a bit cooler, but most results have shown the Stillen or JWT intake to be very close to the CAI. I would recommend the Stillen or JWT intake, then the Y pipe, then B pipe, and maybe an aftermarket muffler, if you don't mind a little noise.

Originally posted by MaxPerformanceSE
Originally posted by ArcticMax

The Stillen intake

I understand that it sits under the hood. What about the heat issues when it comes to the summertime?
Old 12-20-2000, 12:44 AM

I would start with handling mods.

FSTB
RSB
Springs/dampers

Then power:
CAI
Y-pipe
ECU

Check out this FAQ: <a href=http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/>Clicky</a>