General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maxima vs. Chrysler 300M - Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2000, 08:32 PM

Which car do you think is faster in a straight line and in the curvies. Also which one is more luxurious? I'm guessing the 300M is more luxurious..but dont' know about performance?

Also which car is a better handler?
Old 12-19-2000, 08:40 PM
My 4DSC

the 300M is a nice car.....for a Chrysler.
no comparison to the Maxima though.
its slower...handles like shiet.
but it is pretty "luxurious" according to most people.
probably comparable to the Max GLE.

i drove one and was impressed by its acceleration...considering that it IS a Chrysler.
But it handles like shiet.

Old 12-19-2000, 08:45 PM

The Chrysler Concorde and its siblings incl the 300M are fair cars. They have great pull down low but lose steam at higher revs. They also cannot touch the max for handling. I've raced one on the hwy at higher speeds and it was no match. I'd say if you want a larger, doemstic, lazy luxury car then the 300M may be a contender
Old 12-19-2000, 08:57 PM

My family owns both...

- Hey guys, my dad drives a 300M and I drive a 4th gen Max. The Maxima wins hands down.
- The Chrysler is huge, tons of room both up front, in back, and in the trunk. Almost everything is standard. The car is very nice, with comfy seats and a very willing engine that revs surprisingly well and has a great sound. Negatives: highway noise is higher than the Max, you can only get an "AutoStick," and the rate of acceleration lets you know that the car is heavy. This thing is longer than our minivan - and it ain't a short-wheelbase van either! - Yes, we got the sport package which helps a bit, but it plows like a tractor unless you set it up real nice. Brake feel is excellent, although the poundage again takes its toll. Steering is fairly responsive and crisp, with well-weighted boost. The car is a highway car, with a pleasing feel and stance. The 11 speaker Infinity sound system is like, wow. Crank it and your neighbors at the traffic light wil be pissed. The gauges are beautifully laid out with a nautical type on white faces that light up like indiglo at night. The most legible gauges I've ever read in any car.
- The only problem seems to be that we've experienced a heavy power loss at 15,000 miles (~40hp at the flywheel). We're still trying to figure it out. Emissions controlling power or something, I suppose. Also, the nice exterior styling comes at the expense of visibility. Don't even bother looking out the rear window.
- Overall, it's a fantastic car for those who want entry-level luxury in a large American-style tourer. (3.5L SOHC V-6, 253hp, 255lb-ft torque, which is three lb-ft short of a '99 Porsche 911.)

- I love my Max. It's faster, especially after the 300's power loss. The handling has higher limits, although both will understeer, I actually have a stick to row gears with, the Bose is great (although not as good as the Infinity), and the car is just the right size for highway stability and comfort. Plus, you can't beat Japanese reliability. The best thing is that the car is a total sleeper - even with a dropped ride, it still looks stock. And the rims have never looked natural, so no one notices if you swap 'em. I love that car.
- C-ya!
Old 12-19-2000, 09:01 PM

Also...

- Also, the Max is faster in both straight line and in the curves. Although, I have to disagree with you all in saying that the 300M pulls nicely all the way to redline, UNLIKE the Concorde which does not have this nice of an engine. The 3.5L is only for the higher level 300M, LHS, and Dodge Intrepid R/T. It is MUCH better than the 2.7 or 3.2 in the Concorde/Intrepid twins.
- The Max is still better for what we all here at Maxima.org like. It always will be. The two just don't match up the way an Accord matches to a Camry.
Old 12-19-2000, 09:15 PM
jsmiam

If you put much stock in the reliability reports from Consumer Reports, (consumerreports.com, $3.95 a month) you'd never buy anything but a Toyota, Nissan, Honda, or Mazda, although there are some surprises and exceptions, such as the Cirrus/Stratus cars actually having a "better than average" reliability rating, and the Mercedes Benz M series SUV being 113 percent Worse than Average in reliability

The M300 came in at about 10 percent worse than average. Oddly enough, there was no Maxima rating there, but all the Nissan/Infinity products were 20 percent better than average, or more, with the G20 coming in at 98.5 percent better than average.

So while I concede that Chrysler, including Jeep may have some appeal from the standpoint of looks, equipment, plushness, general curb appeal, and in some cases, performance, I personally wouldn't consider their products in a million years, regardless of comfort or convenience.

Disclaimer: That's my two cents, and I'm sticking to it! :-)

[Edited by jsmiam on 12-19-2000 at 11:24 PM]

Old 12-19-2000, 10:45 PM

If you ahve a 5 speed yea you will win if you got good shift points. I have an auto and have raced one before. Didnt beat it by much though. THey have some ***** though.
Old 12-20-2000, 03:22 AM
Got Bent?

The Maxima wins in both straight line acceleration and handling. Although, an auto Max and the 300M may be close, the Max would still win. If you want luxury though, then the 300M would probably win there.