General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Frankencar intakes: welded or epoxied?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 10:37 AM

Also, mine has runny drips of "weld" between the large and small pipes... as a person with welding experience I can tell you that this is noit something that would happen to liquid metal...
There was a runny drip blocking the small tube from the inside of the midpipe, setting off ECU code 0807 (EVAP canister purge valve and solenoid) for me. I had to break it off with a screwdriver, and so far, everything is fine because air can finally pass through. Other than that, no complaints!
Old 09-25-2002, 10:37 AM

too much *****in

stop the *****in, noone is forced to buy the frankencar intakes. the guy is making a product that people want, its inexpensive and produces horspower, so i will buy one, now quit whining like a little girl and buy one while the price is so low.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Noone should worry from speculation anyway.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by Shoooter_j

There was a runny drip blocking the small tube from the inside of the midpipe, setting off ECU code 0807 (EVAP canister purge valve and solenoid) for me. I had to break it off with a screwdriver, and so far, everything is fine because air can finally pass through. Other than that, no complaints!
If you broke it off with a screwdriver it isnt a weld! I have seen Ford test welds for their inner door panels on the Expedition in Detroit and the metal fails BEFORE the welds. A good weld should not break off easily. Someone take a good picture and I should be able to tell you if its a weld.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:44 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Re: You know iit is welded when...

JB weld is indeed grey. Dunno about it be magnetic though. The cold weld also might be grey. You're right.

Originally posted by Colonel

I will perform this test as well. I actually have 2 different ones. The first 1 broke at the 3tree part. So I will check to see. I am not worried about scraping the paint.

Question: If you use JBWeld or a "cold weld" material, would it not be a "gray" or "metal" type color?
Old 09-25-2002, 10:53 AM

then what is tig weld?
Old 09-25-2002, 10:55 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: too much *****in

Originally posted by mnurse3139
stop the *****in, noone is forced to buy the frankencar intakes. the guy is making a product that people want, its inexpensive and produces horspower, so i will buy one, now quit whining like a little girl and buy one while the price is so low.
I am not attacking him or his product. But I would like to know HOW it was assembled. Period. Its a fact finding session. Thank you, pass through.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:13 AM

If you broke it off with a screwdriver it isnt a weld! I have seen Ford test welds for their inner door panels on the Expedition in Detroit and the metal fails BEFORE the welds. A good weld should not break off easily. Someone take a good picture and I should be able to tell you if its a weld.
I'm not sure what it was ...maybe excess weld that dripped, inadvertently covering the hole. Either way, it came off fairly easily, after a couple of jabs with the flathead screwdriver. The excess material was blocking the smallest tube from the inside.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:22 AM

Where is steve on this subject
Old 09-25-2002, 11:41 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
So far I have tried Forum post, email, PM and lastly his website email.

But remember this is just since Monday afternoon. And I did not do it all at the same time....staggered
Old 09-25-2002, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
ditto.... i think only person that can clear this matter up would be him but he is no where to be found to answer this....

i have also posted on the GD section so that he can see it but still no update
Old 09-25-2002, 12:35 PM

WHy do you guys care so much? Its still one of the cheapest intakes as far as price and works a lot better then the jwt or the stillen pop...I mean even if it is epoxyed or jb weld by the time it were to break etc you prob wouldnt even be driving the max it would be so old...I dunno I think no one from them is replying bcasue this thread is pointless
Old 09-25-2002, 12:50 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by maximaracer28
...I dunno I think no one from them is replying bcasue this thread is pointless...
So I guess you just put anything on your car regardless of how it was built or what it was built out of?

Please keep these comments to yourself as they are not pertinent to the quest. As explained before...this is a fact finding mission, not an attack on Steve, his company, cost, moon and the stars above.

I WANT TO KNOW HOW IT WAS BUILT! Its just that simple, whether you believe it or not. All Steve has to write to me is TIG or MIG or JB or "cold weld" or Elmers or crazy glue or scotch tape. Or any combination of the above.

AGAIN THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK!!!

Thank you, pass through.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:52 PM
Administrator

WHy do you guys care so much? Its still one of the cheapest intakes as far as price and works a lot better then the jwt or the stillen pop...I mean even if it is epoxyed or jb weld by the time it were to break etc you prob wouldnt even be driving the max it would be so old...I dunno I think no one from them is replying bcasue this thread is pointless

don't make that assessment on your own.. you don't work with them or work for them.. you making that statement could make alot of their customers very unhappy... and you dont' represent them in anyway.. don't speculate on their actions or lack of actions.. when they address the thread.. they address the thread
Old 09-25-2002, 12:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SprintMax

don't make that assessment on your own.. you don't work with them or work for them.. you making that statement could make alot of their customers very unhappy... and you dont' represent them in anyway.. don't speculate on their actions or lack of actions.. when they address the thread.. they address the thread
Agreed!

Steve and Matt will address this when they are able to people. Colonel already made his point clear so why do some of you continue to try to get a flame session going?
Old 09-25-2002, 01:26 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Tig weld has a very clean ripple through the weld spot. Here's an example of my test pipe.

http://photos.imageevent.com/1max2nv...Test_pipe2.jpg

MIG weld looks like this.

http://photos.imageevent.com/1max2nv...e/Dcp01189.jpg

Here is what JB weld looks like. I used JB weld to hold the ring terminal to a brass probe.

http://photos.imageevent.com/1max2nv...e/DCP01058.JPG

You can make JB weld really clean if you smooth it out. I repaired a cracked Acura valve cover before with great success and it looked great.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:37 PM

why do i care so much... b/c it is my hard earn money that i'm spending.... i guess ur one of those people who don't really care what they buy... as long as it's cheap huh? why even bother getting maxima? why don't u just get metro it's cheap
Old 09-25-2002, 03:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Ok my motives are out of jealousy? You smoking crack right? Tell me you are? How you going to assume that? I own 12 business of my own, I dont need an aftermarket intake business to make my life complete. In no way is that going to make me jealous. Like I said, drop it cause I have already.

Dixit
not from what I heard. I heard you accused them of stealing your idea as well. How many people will you accuse. Crack? Yeah, I'm sure. I wish I had money to afford that ****.

You have dropped it? Not from what we read here in this thread.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:39 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

sorry about the delayed response i've been away with my real job and finishing these up and breathing but that's about it.

NOW to the questions. some of the original prototype 95-99 intakes did have JB weld on them. IF you have a problem with one i will gladly replace it no questions asked. i tested the strength of them and they were fine. but like a said only a handful of the original ones are like this and if you have a problem i will replace it with a full production one that is TIG welded.

the pipes are TIG welded by a professional near where i work. he works on heavy machines, bridges and big projects mostly and does a GREAT job on my stuff. i actually let 3 welders in the area try and his were the best. they are TIG welded. if you guys want i can take a picture of a stack of intakes downstairs that aren't painted yet and you can see the welds.

and ][35 yours will be going out in the next day or two just like a siad when i started the group deal, that i would ship in about 1-2 weeks after i started takign payments.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:43 PM
I'm needing a caw

Thank god Steve replied!
Old 09-26-2002, 11:33 AM
I'm needing a caw

Steve, Colonel wanted to thank you for chiming in with the facts and clearing things up for us.