General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Boosting FAQs

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 06:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

My bad for being stupid, but what do you measure? And 8:1 is safe all the way to 3.25" or 3.125"? I am going to buy the pulley tommorow and need to make a decision. At this time I dont want to upgrade the injectors. So if a 3.125 gets by with 270cc, then I will be fine.

Also one side question, what is the best a/f ratio to be at once I am boosted and want to dyno tune it. Or does it depend on pulley sizes?

Dixit
Measuer the diameter of the disc in the FMU

On a 3.125" pulley an 8:1 disc should be ok. But my advice is to install it then drive easy until you have the time to take it to a dyno and get the air fuel ratio checked. ~12.5:1 AFR is a good place to be in the upper boost levels.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:42 PM

Here's another...
pick up just about any mustang or chevy magazine and you will see different Vortech compressor combinations and higher flow etc...
Has anyone worked with the supercharger for maximum flow with different vortech combinations for a max?
many people may be interested.
Thanks
Old 09-26-2002, 08:28 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by delio

No it isn't

LOL

Once you remove the blower a half dozen times you begin to look at the engine bay of NA maximas and stare at the tons of empty space.

It's really weird trying to work on an NA max and just be all out of sorts...

LOL
What are you SuperMan Del? There's no way anyone can change a pulley in an hour.

Jack up front right side of car, take off plastic wheel well liner, loosen upper pulley tensionor, loosen lower pulley adjuster nut, take serpentine belt off pulleys, reach way up in there and loosen hoseclamp on oil return (that's an hour right there for me - lol), remove piping from supercharger outlet, remove windshield washer reservoir, remove fuse box, disconnet crankcase ventalation hose to filter, disconnect bypass hose from filter, disconnect oil feed line, unplug cam timing sensor (if you went through the Sc and not over), remove all 18 SC bolts, just to first get the SC out (careful not to spill oil). Now you have to seperate the SC to take off the old pulley and belt, put on the new pulley and belt and installation is reverse. That is not an hour. No matter how many times you have done it.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: :o)

$50 says DanNY can do it in less than an hour with a bottle of beer in one hand
Originally posted by ptatohed

What are you SuperMan Del? There's no way anyone can change a pulley in an hour.

Jack up front left side of car, take off plastic wheel well liner, loosen upper pulley tensionor, loosen lower pulley adjuster nut, take serpentine belt off pulleys, reach way up in there and loosen hoseclamp on oil return (that's an hour right there for me - lol), remove piping from supercharger outlet, remove windshield washer reservoir, remove fuse box, disconnet crankcase ventalation hose to filter, disconnect bypass hose from filter, disconnect oil feed line, unplug cam timing sensor (if you went through the Sc and not over), remove all 18 SC bolts, just to first get the SC out (careful not to spill oil). Now you have to seperate the SC to take off the old pulley and belt, put on the new pulley and belt and installation is reverse. That is not an hour. No matter how many times you have done it.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:32 PM

Ask Kev and Matt... We have discussed this before. I can have it done in an hour to an hour and a half...tops... I think Matt and Kev can both beat me. The last time I had to ship the SC back to Vortech I had it out of the car off the plate, pulley off the SC, cleaned up, wiped down and in the box taped up to be shipped in 50 minutes flat... including smoke breaks.

Jack up front left side of car, take off plastic wheel well liner, loosen upper pulley tensionor, loosen lower pulley adjuster nut, take serpentine belt off pulleys, reach way up in there and loosen hoseclamp on oil return (that's an hour right there for me - lol), remove piping from supercharger outlet, remove windshield washer reservoir, remove fuse box, disconnet crankcase ventalation hose to filter, disconnect bypass hose from filter, disconnect oil feed line, unplug cam timing sensor (if you went through the Sc and not over), remove all 18 SC bolts, just to first get the SC out (careful not to spill oil). Now you have to seperate the SC to take off the old pulley and belt, put on the new pulley and belt and installation is reverse. That is not an hour. No matter how many times you have done it.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Ask Kev and Matt... We have discussed this before. I can have it done in an hour to an hour and a half...tops... I think Matt and Kev can both beat me. The last time I had to ship the SC back to Vortech I had it out of the car off the plate, pulley off the SC, cleaned up, wiped down and in the box taped up to be shipped in 50 minutes flat... including smoke breaks.

why are you up this late at this hour?
Old 09-26-2002, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
$50 says DanNY can do it in less than an hour with a bottle of beer in one hand
Old 09-26-2002, 08:36 PM
Licensed to Spell

Well $#!+, that's my problem right there, I need to start smoking.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:31 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

45 minutes from start to finish (SC and pulley off)... I've done it so many times it's not even funny.
Old 09-27-2002, 04:47 AM

Wow...this thread is turning out to be very informative. I wasn't aware the V1 boosts less than the V2 - Explains why I only hit 8-9PSI with a 3.25", and others hit 10.

Oh well, that will be solved soon.

IanS
Old 09-27-2002, 06:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Well $#!+, that's my problem right there, I need to start smoking.
See if you got the right people here helping you, you can learn anything. Next time you need to pull the SC off... make sure you are firmly addicted to smoking. And make sure you have a pack or so handy before you start breaking out the tools.

Also make sure you have good health insurance when your older... (Trying to quit, it is brutal)
Old 09-29-2002, 03:37 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

O.k., as awesome as I know you guys are, I still don't beleive anyone can change an SC pulley in one hour or less. I am willing to bet $100. Any takers?

Main terms of bet:

- The car must be completely driveable and on flat ground at the start of the clock.

- The car must be completely driveable and on flat ground and completely back together with the new pulley and belt installed by the stop of the clock.

- A video tape/video CD is fine becauseI trust you won't cheat (no stopping the tape while you do some more work, no 'speeding up' the tape, no doing any pre-work like loosening bolts nuts ahead of time, etc.)
Old 09-29-2002, 05:00 PM

updated!
Old 09-29-2002, 07:45 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: :o)

O.k., as awesome as I know you guys are, I still don't beleive anyone can change an SC pulley in one hour or less. I am willing to bet $100. Any takers?

Main terms of bet:

- The car must be completely driveable and on flat ground at the start of the clock.

- The car must be completely driveable and on flat ground and completely back together with the new pulley and belt installed by the stop of the clock.

- A video tape/video CD is fine becauseI trust you won't cheat (no stopping the tape while you do some more work, no 'speeding up' the tape, no doing any pre-work like loosening bolts nuts ahead of time, etc.)
Are you serious?
Old 09-29-2002, 08:24 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Are you serious?
I'm serious.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:57 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I'm serious.
My digicam doesn't last that long and I don't know anyone with a video camera. I will take you up on that bet if I know anyone with a video camera.

Want to raise the stakes to $500? I need a boost controller.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:46 PM
Licensed to Spell

My digicam doesn't last that long and I don't know anyone with a video camera. I will take you up on that bet if I know anyone with a video camera.

Want to raise the stakes to $500? I need a boost controller.
No, let's keep it at $100. I'm in the process of buying a house.
Let me know when/if we are on. I'd like to keep it on a short time frame to minimize the practicing - which I know you won't do, right Kev.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:36 PM

bump
Old 10-02-2002, 02:39 PM

postly whoringly
Old 10-02-2002, 02:57 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

So is that a no for my bet? Anyone?
Old 10-02-2002, 03:11 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

No, let's keep it at $100. I'm in the process of buying a house.
Let me know when/if we are on. I'd like to keep it on a short time frame to minimize the practicing - which I know you won't do, right Kev.
Ooops.... missed this thread. The 5th gen kit is actually a little harder than the 4th gen kit because of the 10mm bolt that is located in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry, I don't have a digicam, but I do give my word that I've done it in 45 minutes.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Sorry, I don't have a digicam, but I do give my word that I've done it in 45 minutes.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:20 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

here is a question

with a stillen s/c what is the most/safest amount of nitrous you can spray ?

this being with a stock 6lb pulley

if you can go up in pulley sizes and adjust the amount of nos.

this not using a j/s knock/retard sensor.

would the fmu disc size be affected any ?

also with having to tap into the fuel system for a dry or wet kit affect the fmu delivery?
Old 10-03-2002, 01:19 PM

PSSSSSHHHT!
Old 10-03-2002, 01:22 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: here is a question

Originally posted by nismo2020
with a stillen s/c what is the most/safest amount of nitrous you can spray ?

this being with a stock 6lb pulley

if you can go up in pulley sizes and adjust the amount of nos.

this not using a j/s knock/retard sensor.

would the fmu disc size be affected any ?

also with having to tap into the fuel system for a dry or wet kit affect the fmu delivery?
anyone?
Old 10-03-2002, 01:32 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: here is a question

anyone?
I would answer you if I used rice juice... but I don't.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:40 PM

Re: Re: here is a question

anyone?
I don't know for sure, I'm just conjecturing:

The amount of nitrous you can handle is probably determined by how much the stock engine internals can handle, and by how much fuel delivery your engine can handle. A stock engine can probably handle around 400 hp as far as internals go. This seems to be the conventional wisdom on the org. So subtract your boosted hp from 400 and that will give you how much of a nitrous shot you can handle. Of course, your fuel pump will have to supply fuel for both the SC boost and the nitrous, but you can upgrade the pump. Another limit may be your stock fuel injectors. They will have to be able supply adequate flow without locking up at higher fuel line pressure, so they may need to be upgraded, too. One advantage of using nitrous to supplement supercharger boost is the cooling effect of the nitrous charge, so you shouldn't have to worry about detonation due to boosted intake air temperature, as long as you're getting sufficient fuel to prevent a lean condition.

Just thinking out loud, I'm really no expert.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:47 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Ooops.... missed this thread. The 5th gen kit is actually a little harder than the 4th gen kit because of the 10mm bolt that is located in the middle of nowhere.

If you say so, I beleive you Kevin.

O.k. I'm going to have to put a time limit on accepting my bet. This could be a lose-lose situation for me. Without first excepting my bet, someone could try to swap the pulleys. If they get it, they then accept my bet and produce the video they already had. If they don't get it, they just never say anything. So I will give until midnight tomorrow (10-04-02) to accept the bet. I will give more time after that to actually swap the pulleys but I at least need a commitment. Fair?
Old 10-03-2002, 09:50 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

If you say so, I beleive you Kevin.

O.k. I'm going to have to put a time limit on accepting my bet. This could be a lose-lose situation for me. Without first excepting my bet, someone could try to swap the pulleys. If they get it, they then accept my bet and produce the video they already had. If they don't get it, they just never say anything. So I will give until midnight tomorrow (10-04-02) to accept the bet. I will give more time after that to actually swap the pulleys but I at least need a commitment. Fair?
Very fair!