General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Sylvania Silverstars-Headlight Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 04:26 AM
Master Will

Sylvania Silverstars-Headlight Bulbs

I was watching Hi-Rev Tuners on the SPEED channel and they demonstrated the Sylvania Silverstars Xenarc head light bulbs.

Does anyone have these? I went to Autozone and they are $25.00 each bulb. I'm thinking about trying them out.

-Will

Old 10-12-2002, 05:47 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Sylvania Silverstars-Headlight Bulbs

Originally posted by metallic97gxe
I was watching Hi-Rev Tuners on the SPEED channel and they demonstrated the Sylvania Silverstars Xenarc head light bulbs.
You saw the demo, how'd they look?
Old 10-12-2002, 07:00 AM

I got em and like em.

SuDZ
Old 10-12-2002, 07:04 AM

i cannot give you a from stock reference point. i bought the car used and it had some aftermarket blue bulb that still gave off a yellow light.

in comparison to sylvania Cool Blues,(available @pep boys) i would say that they are better. the low beam is brighter and the high beam is a lot brighter. if you are looking for the bulb to throw the light farther ahead of the car you will not be that happy, as you are still limited by the lens patter in the headlight housing itself.

a good bulb for $ 50/set. if you can get it for less off the net thats even better, buy it
Old 10-12-2002, 10:14 AM

I actually bought them and experimented with them, the website has images and gives a pretty good depiction of what the differences are

http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

there was a thread on it

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=156515
Old 10-12-2002, 10:33 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Are they really that white compared to stock bulbs?

I think I tried the cool blues before, they were not as white as i was hoping they'd be..

Silverstars:

stock:

Old 10-12-2002, 11:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Sylvania Silverstars-Headlight Bulbs

Originally posted by metallic97gxe

Does anyone have these? I went to Autozone and they are $25.00 each bulb. I'm thinking about trying them out.

-Will

I have them on the Accord. The light is really white but the bulbs only lasted about 6 months.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:09 AM
is invisible

Re: Re: Sylvania Silverstars-Headlight Bulbs

Originally posted by deezo
The light is really white but the bulbs only lasted about 6 months.
Doh!

I saw them in an add using a WRX for comparison. Looked good to me!
Old 10-12-2002, 11:48 AM

I got and was a dissapointed that I paid 50 bucks for them. I HAD the cool blues, which are without question a nice step up from stock. Whiter, maybe a tad brighter too. Then I fell victim to the adverstising.....and bought the silverstars. They are maybe a hair whiter than the cool blues......but worth and extra 50 bucks after spending 25 or so for the CB's............HELL NO.

I would have been better off using that 50 bucks towards a CD reciver or gas for 3 weeks.
Old 10-12-2002, 04:03 PM

Have em....

I love them... they look very crisp, not too ricey (blue).
Likely not to get pulled over or harassed for em.

Ill have some pics up as soon as the weather clears up and i can put on my Stillen kit.

Brian
Old 10-13-2002, 04:22 AM

Re: Have em....

Originally posted by BJGemini
I love them... they look very crisp, not too ricey (blue).
Likely not to get pulled over or harassed for em.

Ill have some pics up as soon as the weather clears up and i can put on my Stillen kit.

Brian
I have cool blues and thought they where almost stock looking inttill I had to follow my girlfreind home and she said my headlights look whitish and nice. She thinks I still have the stocks in
Old 10-13-2002, 04:56 AM

I have them on the Accord. The light is really white but the bulbs only lasted about 6 months.
I think the motto should be if it ain't broke, don't fix it, meaning the stock bulbs last 5+ years, why put a $25 bulb in that lasts 6 mos? There are white looking bulbs for sure, because I've seen uninspectable junk on the road with really white bulbs and obviously they're not xenon. But there also very annoying due to the lack of proper aim.

It's only natural to want to update one's car and not have everything outdated, but I think when it comes to bulbs stocks make the most sense, my .02
Old 10-13-2002, 07:41 PM
Master Will

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

You saw the demo, how'd they look?

they looked good but this was on TV

thank you for the replies I guess I will have to see for myself....
Old 10-13-2002, 07:50 PM

I've had them about 8 months now...

I think they are great. Brightest bulbs I have had yet. Sad to hear someone's only lasted 6 months, sounds like mine should die any time now.

They are very bright though, nice white light. Helped me avoid a deer last night actually!

-Jacob
Old 10-13-2002, 10:50 PM

Ohhh! It feels good to be back on the .org

Just to clarify, the Sylvania Xenarc are actual HIDs while the Silverstars are regular halogen bulbs.

I've had them on since a while ago and granted that I haven't used them for very long, I think it's unfair to say that they will only last for 6 months. With any bulbs, improper handling can lead to decreased bulb life.

They are a bit pricey but if you're not looking for that ricey white/blue look, I think they're decent and they also come from a reputable company (Osram), also you won't need a harness kit since they're just slightly overwattage (the overwattage is within the wiring and fusing limits).

I've got a pic comparing the Silverstars and regular 9004 halogens on my Maxima. The pic is deceptive in making you think that the output is truly white, BUT it is noticeably whiter than regular halogens. See my homepage, page 2. You can click on the pic to enlarge and if someone feels like it, go ahead and link the image to this thread.

On a sidenote, Japan is quite an experience for me ... from riding in my friend's Skyline through the winding mountain roads of Hakone (did someone say this as illegal? *wink*) to checking out the modified vans and luxury cars at Daikoku bridge near Yokohama, I'M surprised that the younger generations have moved away from high performance sports cars and now tune compact vans and luxury cars. Strange but true.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:08 PM

I got a set of Silverstars. They are white enough and the wattage isn't high. I hope they last longer than 6 months. If not, these lights suck!!!
Old 10-13-2002, 11:34 PM

Re: Ohhh! It feels good to be back on the .org

From my homepage:

I put in Polarg clearance (non-rewired) and Silverstar 9004 bulbs but before I swapped them out, I took a comparison pic for the fun of it and the difference is obvious. However, Silverstars are nowhere close to HID and even though they appear white in the pic, it's not! Just brighter and whiter than regular halogens. This pic clearly shows how deceiving the so-called "Xenon-charged" bulbs are - think twice before buying a bulb solely on a picture you see on a website. (4/11/02)

Edit: I do love my Silverstars. Also, my sig pic has the regular halogens back from when I bought the car in July/01.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Sylvania Silverstars-Headlight Bulbs

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

I think the motto should be if it ain't broke, don't fix it, meaning the stock bulbs last 5+ years, why put a $25 bulb in that lasts 6 mos? There are white looking bulbs for sure, because I've seen uninspectable junk on the road with really white bulbs and obviously they're not xenon. But there also very annoying due to the lack of proper aim.

It's only natural to want to update one's car and not have everything outdated, but I think when it comes to bulbs stocks make the most sense, my .02
The stock headlights on the Max and the Accord suck bigtime so an upgrade is needed. The Silverstars produce a whiter light which does a great job for dark roads and such but the quality of them aren't that great for the price.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sylvania Silverstars-Headlight Bulbs

The stock headlights on the Max and the Accord suck bigtime so an upgrade is needed. The Silverstars produce a whiter light which does a great job for dark roads and such but the quality of them aren't that great for the price.
AGREED