General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Belt test question? How tight is the belt suppose to be on a supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 01:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Belt test question? How tight is the belt suppose to be on a supercharger?

Alright I know that I am asking a noob question but cheston said that if the belt was too tight on the SCer it may blow the seals. I installed a new belt about two weeks ago and shaved down the plate. But one day while driving on the highway and at the Dyno I hear this high pitch squeal and turns out my belt was loose. Today I sinched down the belt and took it on a test drive. about 5800RPMS the belts is still squealing. Come back home and tightent it some more. I have about 1/4 play if not a bit more.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have some experience with Mustangs and superchargers. If your belt is tight but slips at high rpm maybe the supercharger mounting bracket is flexing and pulling the supercharger towards the crank. This makes the distance between the supercharger and crank shorter, loosening the belt. The best way to eliminate this is to brace the supercharger better. Can you get your hand in the center of the belt and squeeze. See if the supercharger moves even slightly. If it does then it will move even more under boost.

What width is your belt? If no flexing of the bracket is experienced then a wider belt may be needed. Belts are available up to 10 rib or you can go with a cogged belt. ASP can custom make any kind of pulley system you need for your application.

To answer your original question. I have tightened belts where I felt they were too tight but no damage was done to the supercharger or crank bearings. Best to get your set up right so the belt doesn't have to be so tight.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:19 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Put your thumb on the midpoint between the crank pulley and AC pulley. Twist the belt... it should go no further than 90 degrees (i.e. perpendicular to the ground).
Old 10-14-2002, 06:20 AM

The part about checking to see if the s/c bracket is flexing cant happen on a maxima. I understand your point on mustangs, but the maxima has a CNCed bracket that has about 10 bolts hooking it up to the timing cover and engine mount and belt tensioner mounts.

Believe me when I tell you it is solid.

Dixit
Old 10-14-2002, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
The part about checking to see if the s/c bracket is flexing cant happen on a maxima. I understand your point on mustangs, but the maxima has a CNCed bracket that has about 10 bolts hooking it up to the timing cover and engine mount and belt tensioner mounts.

Believe me when I tell you it is solid.

Dixit
If that bracket is dead solid then you need to either tighten the belt more or get a wider belt.

The Mustang brackets appear to be pretty solid too but when the belt is tightened the supercharger moves a few thousandths. Put an indicator on the supercharger and then start tightening the belt and see if it moves.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:43 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Larry

If that bracket is dead solid then you need to either tighten the belt more or get a wider belt.
We can't use a wider belt because it's VERY close to the bracket already (can't use a wider pulley either).
Old 10-14-2002, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

We can't use a wider belt because it's VERY close to the bracket already (can't use a wider pulley either).
I don't know what belt you have but if you have an 8 rib there are cogged belts about the same width. It won't slip!
Old 10-14-2002, 06:58 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Larry

I don't know what belt you have but if you have an 8 rib there are cogged belts about the same width. It won't slip!
6 rib.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:04 AM

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dixits.../backplate.jpg

That is a shot of the back plate that mounts to the timing cover, engine mount, belt tensioner holes and alternator mount.

As you can see this leaves absolutely no room for movement, believe me from experience of a failed s/c install. (in 2weeks that will turn into a PASSED install).

Dixit
Old 10-14-2002, 07:14 AM

That is a shot of the back plate that mounts to the timing cover, engine mount, belt tensioner holes and alternator mount.

As you can see this leaves absolutely no room for movement, believe me from experience of a failed s/c install. (in 2weeks that will turn into a PASSED install).

Dixit
Big Jon the only way the plate will give is if you forget to install the top bolts on the blower like I did. If our SCer gives in thousandths as he described bye bye belt will fall off by jumpin on the alternator pulley rail.

Y2Kev everyone here thank you for the input I have the belt as you described Kev. Just trying to be safe I have no room for error or I am SOL if I bust a seal. I currently just own this one car.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:19 AM

Dixit
From looking at this bracket it doesn't look much different than the Mustang brackets and they do flex. Try my little test and find out for sure before you go any farther. Set up a dial indicator! Although I haven't tried, you might be able to hit the throttle and watch the indictor at the same time.
Old 10-14-2002, 09:33 AM

Jamie, I run my belt over tightend, and have had no problems. Mine is only able to be twisted ~65deg. I run a GoodYear Gatorback belt.

You should check the belt and all the pullies for oil or dirt residue. You may need to clean the pullies and belt with some degreaser and a tooth brush.

FWIW I dont have any issues with a slipping belt.
Old 10-14-2002, 09:40 AM

Like Matt, mine is pretty tight too. I also have the Goodyear Gatorbelt. No belt problem so far and as you know me, I push the car hard, so the belt is holding up pretty good.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:21 PM

after i figured it out i thought mine was way too tight but it actually boosts about 1psi more!
we learn something every day