General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hyperground grounding points for 5th gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 12:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hyperground grounding points for 5th gen

Ok, the instructions in the kit aren't very useful because I think they were written for a Honda .

I've seen some other posts for 4th gens, but none for the 5th gen.

I've identified 4 of the 5 grounding points:

1) passenger side chassis
2) stock grounding bolt between intake manifold and valve cover
3) alternator grounding point (transmission or cylinder block)
4) stock battery grounding point (cylinder head) (black line is stock)
5) driver side chassis

I haven't been able to actually identify the grounding point for #3. I think I'll have to remove the SC piping to get to it from the top of the engine.

For #4, I'll have to access it from under the car since the SC piping is in the way. Even on stock engines, it's hard to see the bolt from the top of the engine.

If anyone could pinpoint the alternator\transmission\cylinder block bolt (a picture would be great), it would be appreciated.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:21 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

The grounding points in the engine bay are listed in the FSM. You just need to find someone that has one and scan the pages for you.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
The grounding points in the engine bay are listed in the FSM. You just need to find someone that has one and scan the pages for you.
Any volunteers?
Old 10-20-2002, 05:03 PM

well, you might not even have to go through that much trouble at all. Instead of the three wires meeting at your ground #4, you can ground them off your upper intake manifold bolt. Even better, if you look on the front of you manifold and to the left, you'll see the 2 stock 14 gauge ground wires grounded there. Ground the wires there (we'll call that Ground i), use one ground wire to ground from Ground i to your ground #4 (engine block). My ground 2 is also on the timing chain cover, but further back towards the side of the upper intake manifold. I wish I could upload pics, but hopefully you can get a good enough idea from my descriptions.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Has anyone else install their wires on their 5th gen?
Old 10-20-2002, 06:01 PM

What does a hyperground system actually do? I've seen tons of posts about these system, but I don't know what they are/do.
Old 10-20-2002, 06:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by krazyd
What does a hyperground system actually do? I've seen tons of posts about these system, but I don't know what they are/do.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=141858
Old 10-20-2002, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by krazyd
You are basically getting a better ground to your battery. Using more, thicker, and better conducting material, you are increasing the current on the electrical network. Voltage equals current multiplied by resistence. So if the current goes up, the resistence will be lessened and the voltage would increase slightly. The increase in voltage would then enhance all electrical components including the spark plugs and ignition coils.

I was the one who had the kit tested and dyno'd on my 97 Maxima. I have a dyno sheet floating around on the .org if you want to take a look. I'd like to see someone else dyno the gains just to make sure my car's not just a flop. Sun Auto only tests the kit on brand new cars and they've shown decent gains from 2-8HP. I gained a lot!!! I think you could easily make the kit yourself for $30 or so, but the Hyperground wires look really nice. I have an extra set if you're interested.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:45 PM
Maxima06071

They also help get ride of engine buzz in speakers and they brighten your headlights.

Old 10-20-2002, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
well, you might not even have to go through that much trouble at all. Instead of the three wires meeting at your ground #4, you can ground them off your upper intake manifold bolt. Even better, if you look on the front of you manifold and to the left, you'll see the 2 stock 14 gauge ground wires grounded there. Ground the wires there (we'll call that Ground i), use one ground wire to ground from Ground i to your ground #4 (engine block). My ground 2 is also on the timing chain cover, but further back towards the side of the upper intake manifold. I wish I could upload pics, but hopefully you can get a good enough idea from my descriptions.
Where roughly on my picture is the "upper intake manifold bolt"?

Ground point #4 is where the stock battery wire is grounded.

I'm not sure if the 5th gen is exactly the same as the 4th gen, but on mine, grounding point #2 has two ground bolts with small gauge wires grounded there. That's not the same as your Ground i, right?
Old 10-20-2002, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by Tanman

Where roughly on my picture is the "upper intake manifold bolt"?

Ground point #4 is where the stock battery wire is grounded.

I'm not sure if the 5th gen is exactly the same as the 4th gen, but on mine, grounding point #2 has two ground bolts with small gauge wires grounded there. That's not the same as your Ground i, right?
On my 97, there are a couple of bolts that tie the upper intake manifold to the lower piece. I just realized that the USVI must be different. I have two ground points between the blue drawn line and the 2 black hoses in your picture. If you ignition coils ground at your point#2 use those and disregard my "Ground i" (the 4th gen must be different).
Old 10-21-2002, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by Kevin Wong

On my 97, there are a couple of bolts that tie the upper intake manifold to the lower piece. I just realized that the USVI must be different. I have two ground points between the blue drawn line and the 2 black hoses in your picture. If you ignition coils ground at your point#2 use those and disregard my "Ground i" (the 4th gen must be different).
Thanks for clearing that up. Now I just need to identify which bolt to use for grounding point #3. I don't want to remove the SC pipes, so I guess I'll have to look at it from under the car. Anyone have a suggestion of another bolt to use?

I'm going to check for existing ground points in the area, but if anyone knows where the bolt it, that'd be helpful .