General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need answer to a stereo (speaker/amp) question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2000, 07:50 AM

Sorry for being a bit O/T, but it's for my car so what the heck. I was looking to upgrade my stereo a bit more. Right now I've got a Pioneer CD head that puts out 23w/RMS & 45w/Peak to all 4 chanels. Stock (Pioneer?) 6.5s" speakers (not Bose). It's moderately loud, but the lows/mids aren't very clear at higher volumes. I've tried to use the prametric EQ built into the head unit to tweak the cutoff points to smooth out the sound, but it's still pretty weak at higher volumes.
So the question. What's going to get me the best sound for the $$? Would adding power by getting an amplifier (say 50w/ chanel) improve the clairy of the low and mids? Or should I upgrade to a 2 or 3 way set of speakers and run it w/ the current power from the head unit?
If I had the money I'd do it all, but I need to take this one step at a time.
Old 12-24-2000, 08:39 AM
Disco Biscuit

There is a Stereo forum, but I'll give it a shot

The Stock speakers are Panasonic dual cone. (No tweeters.) My suggestion is http://www.zalytron.com They have Focal(very good brand, better tan Infinity, Polk,etc.) 6 1\2" 2 way speakers for $99 on closeout. Can't beat the deal. Second, get a good 4 channel amp I'd suggest around 50x4. third get a 10" single sub in an enclosed box. many times there are deals where you get the box for free when you buy the sub. I's say, for no more than $500 total you should be able to get what you want out of the system. this is just a rough estimate, not knowing your budget, listening tastes, etc. But hope this gives you an idea.
Old 12-24-2000, 11:03 AM

Bro, we got a Audio forum here. If you want something that sounds good, it all comes down to $$$. If you want something that will sound good adn very simple, this is IMOP is the best way. Run a 5 channel amp and push a set of components up front and coaxils in the rear while the 5th channels pushes the sub. You can also go with two amps rather then one if ya like. There are many, many possible ways to approach this. You are not going to get one same answer. Adding a EQ would be a nice touch adn the components up front will thank you. Check out some audio on-line shopes.
http://www.mmxpress.com or http://www.carmedia1.com They both are legit and i have delt with them before. Good adn fast service and warrantied.
Old 12-25-2000, 10:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you want to get away with the least amount of money possible, get a good pair of coaxials for the front doors, a 4-ohm sub and enclosure, and a 4-channel amp. Run the front speakers with the first channel pair of the amp and then bridge the second channel pair mono for the sub. Run the stock rear speakers with the HU.