General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

SP 5000 vs. BF G Kdws

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 11:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

SP 5000 vs. BF G Kdws

Can anyone talk to a direct comparison between the Dunlop SP sport 5000 and the BF Goodrich Key dry wet and snow tire? I need a set very soon and would like to get the best high perf. all season tire available and all indications are these are 2 of the best. By the way the specific size is 195/50-15 so Pilot Sport A/S fans need not suggest it as it can't be ordered in that size. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-22-2002, 12:15 PM
i SeE what you did therE

well i have the Dunlop SP 5000 in a 235/45/17 tire

i bought them for there wet traction rating... not sure about the other one

i like these tires..
Old 10-22-2002, 12:32 PM

imo sp sport 5000 sucks in rain, but they're really good in snow.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:38 PM
tofst4uvette

i khave the sp sport 5000`s and love them for my fall and winter tires, i have had no problems driving in the rain and going through large puddles on the highway is a breeze. when april comes around and i put my 17`s back on i run the toyo proxys.

Old 10-22-2002, 04:50 PM

Me and briguymax have the BFG KDWS tires on our stock 16" rims. We like them alot. I'll let him comment on his experiences, but I think they're the best bang for the buck tire for grip, and low noise. I hate loud tires.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:59 PM
Keven97SE

Re: SP 5000 vs. BF G Kdws

I think I'm just the person that can give you some good feedback on this since my current tires are KDWS and my previous set were the SP5000's. Here's my summary:

- KDWS handle quite a bit better than the SP5000's. In fact, the KDWS' are the BEST handling tire I've ever used, and that's comparing to the old and excellent Dunlop SP8000's. SP5000's are very good but the KDWS' are great. I don't see many street tires bar none outperforming them.
- KDWS have extremely stiff sidewalls and ride harsher than the SP5000's. I can deal with it since I only run 225-50ZR16's, but in a smaller sidewall they will be even stiffer I'd imagine.
- KDWS's so far are wearing very well, about the same if not less than the SP5000's.
- The SP5000's were a very quiet tire, quieter than the KDWS', but even the KDWS are not noisy and are quiet. Either tire is good but the SP5000's are quietest.
- The KDWS' are not a fantastic wet tire. They are good, but the SP5000's were much better. Seeing as the SP5000's are also siped (lots of small "cuts"), I'd bet they will also be much better in snow compared to the KDWS'.

Overall, I think the KDWS are an EXCELLLENT buy. They handle fantastic and wear very nicely. If you need a mainly dry weather tire that does good in rain and doesn't see much if any snow, I see no reason why not to pick them. For more extreme weather, you'll be safer with the SP5000's but the dry performance won't be as much fun.

Originally posted by srbarnes4ever
Can anyone talk to a direct comparison between the Dunlop SP sport 5000 and the BF Goodrich Key dry wet and snow tire? I need a set very soon and would like to get the best high perf. all season tire available and all indications are these are 2 of the best. By the way the specific size is 195/50-15 so Pilot Sport A/S fans need not suggest it as it can't be ordered in that size. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-22-2002, 07:49 PM

I have the KWDS on my 2k and they are great tires. They are a great improvement over the RE92s. They seem to wear pretty quickly though. A lot of this is because I took my car to the track and wore them down TONS. At the track they were decent, but a Summer tire would have been 10x's better. The grip is awesome for an AS tire though. At the limit they would HOWL around every turn. They transmitted the limit very nicely. Some tires dont let you know when you are going to fast, which is a terrible thing.

BriGuyMax has had them both, so lets see how he compares them. I was the one that told that homo about the BF KWDS's. He was going to get SP5000s again
Old 10-23-2002, 05:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: SP 5000 vs. BF G Kdws

Originally posted by Keven97SE
I think I'm just the person that can give you some good feedback on this since my current tires are KDWS and my previous set were the SP5000's. Here's my summary:

- KDWS handle quite a bit better than the SP5000's. In fact, the KDWS' are the BEST handling tire I've ever used, and that's comparing to the old and excellent Dunlop SP8000's. SP5000's are very good but the KDWS' are great. I don't see many street tires bar none outperforming them.
- KDWS have extremely stiff sidewalls and ride harsher than the SP5000's. I can deal with it since I only run 225-50ZR16's, but in a smaller sidewall they will be even stiffer I'd imagine.
- KDWS's so far are wearing very well, about the same if not less than the SP5000's.
- The SP5000's were a very quiet tire, quieter than the KDWS', but even the KDWS are not noisy and are quiet. Either tire is good but the SP5000's are quietest.
- The KDWS' are not a fantastic wet tire. They are good, but the SP5000's were much better. Seeing as the SP5000's are also siped (lots of small "cuts"), I'd bet they will also be much better in snow compared to the KDWS'.

Overall, I think the KDWS are an EXCELLLENT buy. They handle fantastic and wear very nicely. If you need a mainly dry weather tire that does good in rain and doesn't see much if any snow, I see no reason why not to pick them. For more extreme weather, you'll be safer with the SP5000's but the dry performance won't be as much fun.

Thanks for the overview my friends. Yours was very clear in particular Keven. After further checking however, it looks like I'm stuck with SP5000s because I'm looking for a 15" size tire for my 2nd car as the BFGs don't come that small. I think I'd be happy either way though from your commments.