General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

car alarm which one is good?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 06:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

car alarm which one is good?

hey guys, now I live in an apartment and my car is parked outside every night. I'm kind of scared someone might steal or do something to my car. What are some of the best car alarm out there .....or the best bang for the buck....cuz money is an issue here. thx
Old 10-22-2002, 06:02 PM

try the viper system, they look good..
Old 10-22-2002, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider
try the viper system, they look good..
do they work good too?
Old 10-22-2002, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
do they work good too?
http://products.consumerguide.com/cp...x.cfm/id/19004
Old 10-22-2002, 06:16 PM

damn $439.00 is that the avg price for good car alarms?
Old 10-22-2002, 06:22 PM

I got my Viper 550ESP for $350 installed by Pearl96Max (Don) on the .Org. I love it and it gives me the extra piece of mind to leave my car in certain areas, especially since I have a $2000+ stereo in it.

I'm not sure where you located, but if you're in or near NJ, then I suggest contacting Pearl96Max for pricing/install. He also sells other alarms. PM or e-mail me if you want his e-mail or phone number. I'd rather not post them up here without his permission.

Later,
-Nick
Old 10-22-2002, 06:25 PM

I have the Viper 550esp as well, tied into factory security. I am very happy with my purchase, also It has remote start too
Old 10-22-2002, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by Nick97SE
I got my Viper 550ESP for $350 installed by Pearl96Max (Don) on the .Org. I love it and it gives me the extra piece of mind to leave my car in certain areas, especially since I have a $2000+ stereo in it.

I'm not sure where you located, but if you're in or near NJ, then I suggest contacting Pearl96Max for pricing/install. He also sells other alarms. PM or e-mail me if you want his e-mail or phone number. I'd rather not post them up here without his permission.

Later,
-Nick
I live in Atl, GA. what do you guys think about those alarm that came with a screen...and it actually shows you which part of your car is being ....HIT....? lol
Old 10-22-2002, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Cutlr7
I have the Viper 550esp as well, tied into factory security. I am very happy with my purchase, also It has remote start too
can you explain about "tied into factory security"? they both working at the same time? and which remote do you use? thx
Old 10-22-2002, 06:33 PM

I just got the Viper 790xv installed. It's pretty much the same as the 550 except it inlcudes a remote start and 2-way pager.. Theres a GD on them now. Check them out,.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
can you explain about "tied into factory security"? they both working at the same time? and which remote do you use? thx
basically the Viper remote controls them both. Once armed, if the car was to get bumped the impact of the Viper will chirp or if the impact is big enough it will go off. If the door, hood or anything is opened both go off. Of course the impact sensor will go off at broken glass, stock one still won't. Does this make sense?
Old 10-22-2002, 06:53 PM
Sin

I like the Alpine one personally. It uses radar. Instead of glass breakage and impact, it uses radar and impact. The best part about radar is, you don't actually have to touch the car for the system to start warning procedures.

For example, if you stand around my car too long with the alarm armed (10 seconds), it starts with warning chirps, and flashing a bright blue LED very quickly.

It doesn't require a glass breakage because if glass is broken, the moving glass will set off the internal radar system and set the alarm off. Because it doesn't have a glass breakage, this is the best part. 95% of falsely tripped alarms are because of glass breakage sensors being tripped. Thus fewer flase alarms.

Also, because it uses radar instead of glass breakage, you can arm your system with the windows wide open. I do this all the time in the summer time with my car parked in front of the house, or when I'm just running out of the car for a second. With just impact and glass breakage, if you do this, someone can easily reach in and grab something. With radar, as soon as an arm reaches in, boom, it goes off. Once, I was throwing my sunglasses onto the dash (on top of the gauge cluster), from outside the car, forgot the alarm was on, and it went off.

The only thing I wish the Alpine had was a pager to tell me when the car's alarm was tripped. Although alarm installers, and car alarm companies themselves have made it clear that pagers aren't the best idea. There are many cases where someone going back to their car when their pager goes off, to confront the thief breaking into the car, is attacked from behind by an accomplice, usually with a weapon, i.e. hit over the head with a bat, or beat with chains, or even stabbed or shot. This is why Alpine and Clifford no longer do pagers.

But do look into the Alpine. I had mine installed for about $500 Canadian. Most DEI (Directed Electronics Inc. makes most of the car alarms out there, companies include Viper, Python, Avital, Sidewinder, Valet, Hornet, Rattler, Wasp, and recently, purchased Clifford) alarms in Toronto, only go for about $500-600 installed, that is unless you want things like extra window roll down modules, extra led's, pagers if the kit doesn't come with one, power lock modules, etc. The 4th gen max doesn't need any of these things. So in Toronto, 90% of traditional alarms (not GPS based) can be had for $500-600.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:40 AM

The radar sensors are great when they work properly, the characteristics of the radar field change according to temperature and humidity. I was a clifford certified avant guard installer for 5 years and we constantly had to adjust cars sensitivity when the seasons changed. Customers would start to call as soon as the temperatures dropped stating the alarm was too sensitive and when the weather turned warm they would call and say the field was not sensitive enough. This is a common characteristic applicable to all types of radar sensors. I for one do like to know when someone is tampering with my car but if the thief really wants it then they will get it no matter how much you invest in security. The security will slow them down, but a garage is about the safest place for your car at night. My car is garaged at night and under the protection of a home security system And the car has constant surveillance at work and this is why I pay auto insurance for when the car is parked elsewhere.

Just my .02
Old 10-23-2002, 09:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have a bulldog alarm. The mount for the siren is also the ground, there is only one wire which is the power. You run it to the battery and it all set up. The best part is unlike most alarms it screams please help me!! in a female voice instead of a siren sound.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:54 AM
Sin

Originally posted by edadams
The radar sensors are great when they work properly, the characteristics of the radar field change according to temperature and humidity. I was a clifford certified avant guard installer for 5 years and we constantly had to adjust cars sensitivity when the seasons changed. Customers would start to call as soon as the temperatures dropped stating the alarm was too sensitive and when the weather turned warm they would call and say the field was not sensitive enough. This is a common characteristic applicable to all types of radar sensors. I for one do like to know when someone is tampering with my car but if the thief really wants it then they will get it no matter how much you invest in security. The security will slow them down, but a garage is about the safest place for your car at night. My car is garaged at night and under the protection of a home security system And the car has constant surveillance at work and this is why I pay auto insurance for when the car is parked elsewhere.

Just my .02
Very true. Good advice. Just a question though, why didn't you guys just teach your customers how to adjust the radar sensitivity yourselves? I know how to adjust mine.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:20 AM
Blu
the tits

Anybody in NC that can do alarm installs? I want remote start and all the goodies. I wanna stay under $450 installed though. PM me please if someone has any hookups or knows any dealers that don't rob you out of every penny. Matt