General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Will mods void my warranty ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2000, 06:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think this is a question most of us would just as soon avoid. After all, having to fix what we break at our own expense isn't nearly as much fun as making our rides go faster and handle better. But I think it's important to consider the risk we take when we start modding our Maximas.

The general rule of thumb, of course, is that a warranty cannot be voided unless the damage caused can be directly attributed to a mod. As a result, some mods are riskier than others.

I've started a list of what I consider to be the least risky to the most risky mods from a warranty perspective. I've included only the most popular mods. Please feel free to comment, laugh, flame me, or just ignore the list altogether.

1) Suspension mods -- I doubt any dealer will attempt to void a warranty over a FSTB or an RSB. Struts and springs are probably OK too unless you slam your Maxima two inches and then decide to complain about your ride quality.

2) Performance mods -- probably the least risky performance mod is an aftermarket exhaust from the cat back. My Zone Rep did give me a hard time about the possibility that a reduction in backpressure could be part of my fuel-cut condition, but he later agreed that backpressure had nothing to do with it.

Slightly riskier is a modified intake. I've only heard of one person so far who has had their warranty voided as the result of damage caused by an aftermarket intake. On the other hand, if you happen to suck water up your CAI . . .

Somewhere in between is an underdrive pulley. The issue here is that the pulley will affect the vehicle's electrical output. Installing a UDP is still a pretty safe mod. But I'd guess it to be slightly riskier from a warranty perspective than modifying the exhaust or the intake.

Now let's get down to the risky mods. First is the inimitable Y-pipe. Regardless of whether installing a Y-pipe will void a warranty, messing with emissions control equipment is a definite no-no. Warranty or no warranty, it's a mod I wouldn't want either my dealer or the local authorities to discover.

At the far end of the risk spectrum is NOS and SC. If your dealer finds out you're running NOS, say bye-bye to your powertrain warranty. On the other hand, NOS is pretty easy to remove. So you might be able to blow up your engine and still have it covered under the warranty. But according to my Zone Rep, a SC will absolutely, positively void your powertrain warranty, no exceptions.

Well that doesn't exhaust (pardon the pun) all of the mods I could have listed, but it should give newbies and lurkers some idea of what to look out for.

Cheers!
Old 12-24-2000, 06:45 PM
vapors smx

Well, that is an extremely good post. However it depends on your dealership and their knowledge or lack thereof. In the last year we have had the following replaced:

ecu
drive bearings
tps

This is while keeping all mods on the car. Without spending a dime.

Old 12-24-2000, 06:53 PM
Disco Biscuit

Ya ,but You have an SMX

You don't count
The rest of us would get the shaft!!!
Old 12-24-2000, 06:56 PM
vapors smx

I think though that people could get away with it if they lied through their teeth. Dont dealerships get paid anyways whether it be warranty or out of your pocket? I always wondered why they wouldnt do that kind of work since the manufacturer would be doing the waranty work or am I wrong?

Old 12-24-2000, 07:18 PM
Vic

Some ppl are born jerks... they have nothing to do and they don't want to work.. so they don't wanna fix your car no matter what. it's not your money they want..it's the free time they're after.
Vic

Originally posted by vapors smx
I think though that people could get away with it if they lied through their teeth. Dont dealerships get paid anyways whether it be warranty or out of your pocket? I always wondered why they wouldnt do that kind of work since the manufacturer would be doing the waranty work or am I wrong?