General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

OPTIMA BATTERIES

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2000, 09:40 PM

ANYONE HAVE THE RED OPTIMA BATTERY? IS IT GOOD? I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE STOCK BATTERY WHEN I PLAY TOO MUCH WITH MY STROBES AND NEONS AT THE SAME TIME.....THE HEAD LIGHTS AND DASH LIGHTS LOOK LIKE THEY WANT TO DIM OUT...ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE CHEAPEST PLACE IS TO GET THE "RED" OPTIMA BATTERY???? ALSO I LIVE IN NYC SO IF A PLACE NEAR QUEENS SELLS THEM, LET ME KNOW.
Old 12-24-2000, 09:53 PM

Heh,

If you got the cash man go with a yellow top, they're better =P .. Red's are still a lot better than the stock battery though. Lights won't necessarily be brighter, but it'll take more current drain to make em dim.
Old 12-24-2000, 10:56 PM

I have a Red-top Optima Battery and I love it. I also have strobes and neons and the battery works really well with them. I paid $125 for my battery over a year ago. It's pretty heavy too. I'm not sure where in NYC you can buy one (since I am not from that area). All I can tell you is that the battery is well worth the $$$.

Nevin

Originally posted by 1HOTMAX
ANYONE HAVE THE RED OPTIMA BATTERY? IS IT GOOD? I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE STOCK BATTERY WHEN I PLAY TOO MUCH WITH MY STROBES AND NEONS AT THE SAME TIME.....THE HEAD LIGHTS AND DASH LIGHTS LOOK LIKE THEY WANT TO DIM OUT...ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE CHEAPEST PLACE IS TO GET THE "RED" OPTIMA BATTERY???? ALSO I LIVE IN NYC SO IF A PLACE NEAR QUEENS SELLS THEM, LET ME KNOW.
Old 12-24-2000, 11:38 PM

here you go

You can go to optima battery site and do a search to find a dealer near you. http://www.optimabatteries.com/main.htm
as for me I need a new battery.This cold weather is killing my weak battery.

Old 12-25-2000, 08:50 AM

I never thought that optima battery were bad. I thought they were one of the best. Anyway how does "Stinger" batteries compare to like Sears die hard gold battery(which I am thinking of getting)

Old 12-25-2000, 08:54 AM

I've got a yellow top that I've had for 4 years without a single problem. I don't have any neon but I do have higher wattage bulbs and strobes.
Old 12-25-2000, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
OPTIMA BATTERIES SUCK...ALL I Hear is Complaints from everyone I've sold too. They said its a nice design, but it dies within a year. I checked their charging system and everything is good. I've been referred to "STINGER" batteries, they provide a better quality product and I see alot of the hardcore stereophiles using them instead of the OPtima battery...Look into it. Perhaps a GD if I am supplied with some info about the co.

-Happy Holidays
Never had a problem with my optima red top, jus the rest of my car sucks jus had the starter replaced, the optima does quite a good job at turning the starter now

And i park my car in this insane weather we've been having and battery holds up(-20 degree air temp to -60 with wind chill, i'm frozen but my battery holds up)
Old 12-25-2000, 10:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This might help get you started, yo . . .

http://www.stinger-aamp.com/1999/Catalog/Batteries.htm
Old 12-25-2000, 01:29 PM

I wouldn't say that just any battery will do. .. I was talking to one of my relatives about my car, he is head of a service department for a Nissan Dealership, and he says he sees the cars in all the time because people didn't use a battery that will help the charging systems. . . If you don't use a good enough battery it will eventually kill components of the charging system and from what I hear it is a pretty common problem.
Old 12-25-2000, 01:32 PM

Red top is what i have, the battery does a much better job at starting the car at any given temperature than stock battery..The ONLY reason you would want a yellow top is if youre going to play your system with the engine off for extended periods of time, otherwise get a red top. I paid $99 for mine from a local dealer. Now my starter needs to be replaced.
Old 12-25-2000, 03:49 PM

i have the red top for over a year now. Still works like a charm. I have 2 big amps that draw some amount of power along with 85watt fogs, hyper bulbs everywhere and two 1 farad capasitors and i still have dimming in my lights. Im uprgrading to a yellow top and selling mine to my bro for $80. Yellow gives you a faster discharge than the RED thus, no more dimming. The YELLOW lasts only about 2 years or so VS. the RED wich should last atleast 3 years. RED is a starter battery and the YELLOW is for stereo applications, but can be used under the hood. I say go with the RED for just a replacement battery and YELLOW if you need that extra juice.
Old 12-25-2000, 04:04 PM

yo its ok

hey how much can you get the red optima battery for? and the yellow one for? let me know please. btw, can you re-wire my corner lights? let me know cause i messed up the fuses too many times to do it my self. thanks
))))))thanks everyone//// i decided to get the red battery!
Old 12-25-2000, 04:36 PM

Some interesting comments on the Yellow Top . . .

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/battery.htm