General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Shiftlight is hooked up to the grey/red stripe wire, could that be causing my misfire

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 08:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shiftlight is hooked up to the grey/red stripe wire, could that be causing my misfire

I have had a rough running engine and a CEL for several days now. I got the code for 'Cylinder 6 misfire'. My car is at Nissan and they say it is a problem with the 'ECU harness'. My shift light was tied into the Grey wire with a red tracer at the ECU. I know this is a coil pack wire, is it for the number 6 cylinder? Could it be causing a misfire? I used one of those radio shack wire taps to splice into the wire. I removed it and the wire looks fine to me. The shiftlight has been in without a problem for several months now. Just before I got the CEL I was trying to rewire the cigarette lighter to be on all the time and the shiftlight is wired off the cigarette lighter. Is that just a coincedence?

This sucks
Old 10-25-2002, 08:54 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

WHITE AND GREEN WIRE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2002, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by Chebosto
WHITE AND GREEN WIRE!!!!!!!!!!
Do you mean the white and green wire controls cylinder 6?
Old 10-25-2002, 10:21 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

its a white n green wire to the ecu harness that controls the RPM signal...
Old 10-25-2002, 10:30 AM

its a white n green wire to the ecu harness that controls the RPM signal...
My Harlan shift light has been working fine spliced off the Gray/red wire and set to 'single cylinder' for about 6 months now. In another thread someone said it was a coil pack wire.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:54 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

you're trying to tap in the ignition coil to get an RPM pulse. that's fine. but y didnt you just pull the RPM code from the RPM signal from the ecu?

well if you're getting a cylinder 6 misfire, then maybe its cuz you're drawing too much voltage off that line. i dunno.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:30 PM

you're trying to tap in the ignition coil to get an RPM pulse. that's fine. but y didnt you just pull the RPM code from the RPM signal from the ecu?

well if you're getting a cylinder 6 misfire, then maybe its cuz you're drawing too much voltage off that line. i dunno.
Somebody suggested to do it that way in another thread. It has been working fine for a good 6 months now and I disconnected it when the misfire started but it did not fix the problem.

Originally posted by Jeff K
Connect the light to the gray wire with red strip, that's a coil pack wire. The light for some reason doesn't like the rpm signal wire so forget that. I have mine set at 6,000 rpms. Also set the light to the last setting, the one that doesn't specify engine type. The light hast a 300 rpm delay when full throttle is applied. It will go off at 6300 rpms and that gives you about 6400 rpms to grab the stick and slam the car into the next gear before you hit the limiter(6600 rpms).

Put the light where you can see it. Mine is on the little shelf behind the steering wheel(velcroed down). I also have a switch interupting the power to the light. Everytime you fire up the car the light goes off. There is a little going coin slot at the bottom of the shift area(around the cup holders). That's where I installed my power switch for the shift light. You need the light, just drop your hand off the shifter, click on the shift light and give them heck.

It's a lot of fun for ~$50.
I just spoke with the Nissan dealer who is working on my car and they say there is a short in the engine harness that will take them some time to track down . So I guess it is nothing I did.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:44 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

This makes sense. I think the trigger to the coil is something like 1.5 volts.