General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

OCTANE BOOSTER?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2000, 10:15 AM
Surge Diesal

Has anyone ever tried this before? I got a bottle of the stuff for free, but I don't want to risk it in my engine unless it is both safe and worthwhile.

Old 12-25-2000, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by Surge Diesal
Has anyone ever tried this before? I got a bottle of the stuff for free, but I don't want to risk it in my engine unless it is both safe and worthwhile.
tried NOS octane booster and 104+(off road version) and both don't hurt the engine or catalytic conveter and the help to remove some(at least that's what the bottle says) engine deposits and help to clean the injectors, doesn't hurt to try especially since it was a gift, what kind is it anyways...
Old 12-25-2000, 10:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It appears that octane boosters don't really boost octane . . .

They simply clean the combustion chamber. Here's what one manufacturer had to say:

"Combustion chamber deposits can increase octane requirements to cause preignition and knocking. The deposits are much hotter than the cylinder walls since they extend into the cylinder and are not cooled by the engine oil and cooling system as quickly. These hot deposits extending into the cylinder can cause preignition when the fuel enters the cylinder. Therefore, [our octane booster] which is a combustion chamber cleaner lowers octane requirements. Removal of these deposits boosts the octane performance of the fuel by restoring the original engine's octane requirement."

Old 12-25-2000, 10:39 AM

Re: It appears that octane boosters don't really boost octane . . .

Originally posted by y2kse
They simply clean the combustion chamber. Here's what one manufacturer had to say:

"Combustion chamber deposits can increase octane requirements to cause preignition and knocking. The deposits are much hotter than the cylinder walls since they extend into the cylinder and are not cooled by the engine oil and cooling system as quickly. These hot deposits extending into the cylinder can cause preignition when the fuel enters the cylinder. Therefore, [our octane booster] which is a combustion chamber cleaner lowers octane requirements. Removal of these deposits boosts the octane performance of the fuel by restoring the original engine's octane requirement."

Well put, i read that too on the label of octane booster and use it only once in a while to keep injectors clean and whatever, but basically peace of mind i guess
Old 12-25-2000, 10:46 AM

How often do you use it, Gotrice4? Is there any danger in using too often?
Old 12-25-2000, 11:04 AM

I think there might - I had the experience of 104+ damaging my fuel pump on a different car some years ago.

Dave
Old 12-25-2000, 11:07 AM
tan_camry

Re: It appears that octane boosters don't really boost octane . . .

While many other octane booster says it raises the fuel octane anywhere from 2 to 4 points.

I believe the NOS brand octane booster (depends on which one you get) also includes the fuel system cleaner, which the above makes sense

tan

Old 12-25-2000, 01:29 PM

During the summer i ran it for like three tankfulls(one bottle per tank) with not a problem, i think there was alittle peppyness that came back, but i think that was all in my head, but as long as u stay within the instructions(not puttin like 8 bottles per tankful) there is no risks in using it, it's safe for the cat and safe for fuel injection systems
Old 12-25-2000, 02:23 PM

The only octane boosters that actually work are the metal based brands that contain, methyl-cyclopanta-diethyl-manganese. MMT

[Edited by i30krab on 12-25-2000 at 07:52 PM]
Old 12-25-2000, 04:48 PM
davis449

Well I am an avid user of the stuff just because I have noticed a difference in the SMOOTHNESS of the engine. It by no means makes the car faster. I use it every tank full (usually every other week) and have had no damage to my fuel system at all. I have used many brands too. STP is ok. NOS is not as good as most say it is. The best brands are the Pennzoil Import Formula and Outlaw. My advice would be to stick with at least two brands and don't switch around a lot. Every other week I use Outlaw and every 3,000 miles when I get an oil change I use the Pennzoil octane booster and fuel injector cleaner at the same time. it does NOTHING to harm the engine.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:49 PM

i bought the Lucas Octane Booster big bottle for 12.99 to a half a tank of gas of premium. i wonder if im gonna feel any more low end power or just clean up the motor?
its 15 fl oz.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
i bought the Lucas Octane Booster big bottle for 12.99 to a half a tank of gas of premium. i wonder if im gonna feel any more low end power or just clean up the motor?
its 15 fl oz.
This thread is older than some of our members.

Snake oil IMO.