General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HP and louvers

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2000, 02:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I talked at length with Clark Steppler at JWT the other day and found out some interesting info about my car. I asked about the 235 HP dyno run and he said they purposely set up my car on the richer side to protect against detonation, ie around 11.51:1. of course this air fuel ratio costs an additional 20-30 HP. We decided that they'll program another chip with a leaner air fuel ratio, 12.5:1 and add the chip to the ecu with a switch to go back and forth to either setting. He wants me to use 104 octane gas with octane booster for the leaner setting. This will bring the HP up to 250-260 where I originally thought it would be. Clark didn't want me to damage my engine!

I also installed L&R hood louvers from an earlier Z car. They look great and are very functional. At idle you can feel the air circulate thru the engine compartment and up thru the louvers. This should really help in the hot weather.

Old 12-25-2000, 02:24 PM

That sounds cool,

you may have a little trouble finding 104 Octane on a daily basis though.{that is if you always run lean of course},the hood louvers sound like a cool idea any chance of seeing a pic?Happy Holidays!!
Old 12-25-2000, 02:28 PM

Pix soon and as far as 104 octane is concerned, it's readily available at the many Sunoco stations in Ohio.
Old 12-25-2000, 02:39 PM
vapors smx

Originally posted by i30krab
I talked at length with Clark Steppler at JWT the other day and found out some interesting info about my car. I asked about the 235 HP dyno run and he said they purposely set up my car on the richer side to protect against detonation, ie around 11.51:1. of course this air fuel ratio costs an additional 20-30 HP. We decided that they'll program another chip with a leaner air fuel ratio, 12.5:1 and add the chip to the ecu with a switch to go back and forth to either setting. He wants me to use 104 octane gas with octane booster for the leaner setting. This will bring the HP up to 250-260 where I originally thought it would be. Clark didn't want me to damage my engine!

I also installed L&R hood louvers from an earlier Z car. They look great and are very functional. At idle you can feel the air circulate thru the engine compartment and up thru the louvers. This should really help in the hot weather.

Hey Ron,

How are things. That is so weird that you would have to lean the car to gain more horsepower. Perhaps we are tuning our cars differently for both Loren and I had to richen our mixture to increase our hp. In fact when my tuner tuned the car, leaning it only detonated the car and created a loss in hp, whereas richening it we gained about 22hp. We can never pass emissions with that setting though. I guess whatever works for our individual cars. Sounds great with your louvers. Cant wait to see the pics.

Old 12-25-2000, 05:00 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

You could put your car on the train for another

photo shoot : :
Old 12-25-2000, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by vapors smx
Originally posted by i30krab

Hey Ron,

How are things. That is so weird that you would have to lean the car to gain more horsepower. Perhaps we are tuning our cars differently for both Loren and I had to richen our mixture to increase our hp. In fact when my tuner tuned the car, leaning it only detonated the car and created a loss in hp, whereas richening it we gained about 22hp. We can never pass emissions with that setting though. I guess whatever works for our individual cars. Sounds great with your louvers. Cant wait to see the pics.
Hey lee,

How are you and your lovely wife Vanessa?

We're on the same page with the tuning! What I said was, JWT was way too conserative with the air-fuel ratio and there is a lot of room to lean it out for more HP. You guys were just working from the opposite direction where you were already way too lean and you had to richen it up.