General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Poorman's Hyperground review

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 02:17 PM

Poorman's Hyperground review

after reading many posts about the hyperground system I decided to give it a try. I just couldn't justify spending $100 for some wires so I decided to make it myself. I went to advance auto parts & pepboys and bought the "switch to start" wires in the battery section. these come in different lengths, be sure to get the shortest lengths possible: i used 2 40" and 3 18" lengths. i spent a total of about $30 and it took about 30 minutes to install. when you ground to the chassis of the car be sure to sand off the paint, I also sanded the factory ground point to insure a good ground. the total cost of this project was $30.

Impressions: the engine is smoother, especially after 3,500 RPM. It was noticeable rigt away. I don't know if this added any power, i think it does but it could all be in my head. I do know that my gas mileage improved slightly. I took a trip from Louisiana to Houston and got ~28mpg while previously I got about ~26mpg.

for $30 this a worthwhile mod.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:59 PM

Re: Poorman's Hyperground review

I'm going to do the poorman's ground upgrade too. I can't justify spending that much for ground wires ... they're only wires after all.

You should get some grease or something and put it over the ground bolts so that they don't start to rust, especially where you sanded off the paint. Don't undo the bolts to put the grease, just put a glob over it to help keep moisture out.

I hate rust.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Poorman's Hyperground review

Originally posted by pocketrocket
I'm going to do the poorman's ground upgrade too. I can't justify spending that much for ground wires ... they're only wires after all.

You should get some grease or something and put it over the ground bolts so that they don't start to rust, especially where you sanded off the paint. Don't undo the bolts to put the grease, just put a glob over it to help keep moisture out.

I hate rust.

I am laughing my azz off look everyone you can just go buy thick gauge wire and do this upgrade that his talking about. Shyt is about as thick as the amplifier wire that you use in your car. Cost will about $70.00 but try it out and see. I am going to do it too You beat me to it but good job. Your lights should be brighter as well inside out.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:23 PM

my headlights seem to cast more light on the road now too, again this could all be in my head. BTW you don't need any kind of new battery post. I had two new wires going to my stock ground wire, I just took the screw out of the stock battery post thread through the new wire connectors, thread it back through the stock post and tightened it down.

if you really want the wires to look good get colored wires. speakerhole.com sells silver 4 gauge wire for like a dollar a foot.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:55 PM

Seven - wanna do a writeup with pics for the rest of us?
Old 10-28-2002, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by gepetto
Seven - wanna do a writeup with pics for the rest of us?
I did some myself...about $40 Cdn for parts.
I have some pics and will post shortly...

cheers!
FLO_BOY
Old 10-29-2002, 07:15 AM
i SeE what you did therE

the hyper ground wires are double shiedled, that is why i decided to spend the extra money..

i was going to do the poor man's version.. but i could not find the wiring i wanted..(i did not look very lokng though)
Old 10-29-2002, 07:19 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by redmaxpa007
the hyper ground wires are double shiedled, that is why i decided to spend the extra money..

i was going to do the poor man's version.. but i could not find the wiring i wanted..(i did not look very lokng though)

take pics and let us know how it goes
Old 10-29-2002, 07:20 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

You really think double shielding is needed on a stinkin' ground cable? Yikes....

...sounds like an excuse to spend more $$ on RICE to me...
Old 10-29-2002, 07:29 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by mzmtg

You really think double shielding is needed on a stinkin' ground cable? Yikes....

no one asked you traitor (NON auto MAgIc)
Old 10-29-2002, 07:35 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

no one asked you traitor (NON auto MAgIc)

What?

I'm still all AutoMagic all the way
Old 10-29-2002, 07:38 AM
i SeE what you did therE

What?

I'm still all AutoMagic all the way

decided to stay with the "easy to drive in traffic"
Old 10-29-2002, 07:47 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

decided to stay with the "easy to drive in traffic"

Um, I have no idea what you're talking about...

My current "secret project" has nothing to do with transmissions. (Ordered my final part yesterday though )
Old 10-29-2002, 07:51 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Um, I have no idea what you're talking about...

yes you do..
Old 10-29-2002, 08:04 AM

Ken, any pics of it? Poorman's hyperground is the way to go! The heck with the expensive one.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You know Jeff, he does make a really good point, about the RICE.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:33 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by dlicari

You know Jeff, he does make a really good point, about the RICE.

no asked you mr.. tranny leakage..
Old 10-29-2002, 08:38 AM
Redlinemax Owner

I'm just going to reground all of my points with zero guage wire!! That'll do it!
Old 10-29-2002, 08:45 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by Redmax
I'm just going to reground all of my points with zero guage wire!! That'll do it!

that is a littel OVER KILL don't you think..

Old 10-29-2002, 08:59 AM
Redlinemax Owner

that is a littel OVER KILL don't you think..

NAH!! I have Zero guage going to my amps So, Zero for the cars ground should be a ok
Old 10-29-2002, 12:45 PM

no pics sorry guys, but its really easy.

this is what you need:
2 40" switch to start battery wire
3 18" switch to start battery wire
(if you can try to get shorter wires but these lengths worked for me)

grounding points from Kevin Wong's post:
Yep, you are using existing holes and bolts. The kit comes with a battery extention post that allows two grounding rings (one is for your stock ground ring and the other is to allow for the Hyperground while still grounded to the battery). One wire goes from the battery post directly to the chasis (about 4 inches away). Another wire goes from the battery post to the intake manifold bolt. One wire goes from from the intake manifold to the engine block. Another goes from the intake manifold to the other side of the manifold. And finally another wire goes from the other side of the manifold to the chasis. So basically you are creating a daisy chain of groundings. There is absolutely no drilling needed.

I did a few things differently:
the intake manifold bolt I used is right above the oil filler cap, a gold bracket is held down by this bolt. the "manifold side bolt" used by hyperground was to hard to access. if you look to the left of the oil filler cap you will see a bolt holding a bracket that looks identical to the hyperground point but mych easier to access. remember the intake manifold bolt should have 3 wires connected at that point. the hyperground just adds new grounding points in series, the key is series and short wires for a low resistance path.

hope this helps
Old 10-29-2002, 12:48 PM

one more thing, I recommend these switch to start wires because they are cheap, you don't have to buy the ring terminals and don't have to worry about crimping which is a PITA with 4 gauge wire.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by seven
one more thing, I recommend these switch to start wires because they are cheap, you don't have to buy the ring terminals and don't have to worry about crimping which is a PITA with 4 gauge wire.
Nice!!! I did this on my Integra with 0 gauge Phoenix Gold wiring and I did notice a slight difference in brighter lights! Never thought of doing this on my Max until now. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2002, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Redmax
if you are talking about re-grounding the stock points then it wouldn't be worth it. the point of this system is to add "new" grounding points.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:08 PM

So you dont remove the cables that were already there but more or less just put the "Switch to start" wires in the same spots? So just overlay the "Switch to start" wires on the same place the old stock ones are or do you remove the old stock ones and replace them with the "Switch to start" cables?

SuDZ
Old 10-29-2002, 03:13 PM

if you are talking about re-grounding the stock points then it wouldn't be worth it. the point of this system is to add "new" grounding points.
"New" grounding points aren't necessarily better than improving the OEM grounding points. I redid my grounds, but haven't been able to take pictures yet because my car is at home. Using thicker wire affords a better connection with less dissipation over a greater length. The same can be done with a greater number of smaller wires (1 0 gauge wire versus a few 4 gauge wires). Sanding off the paint should help considerably, and also remember that more isn't always better. Electricity always takes the shortest route

One final note of interest is that on the driver's side of the car the headlights have 1 ground. However, on the passenger side both the alternator and headlight have 2 grounds each. There are also 2 grounds on the intake manifold.
-hype
Old 10-29-2002, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ
So you dont remove the cables that were already there but more or less just put the "Switch to start" wires in the same spots? So just overlay the "Switch to start" wires on the same place the old stock ones are or do you remove the old stock ones and replace them with the "Switch to start" cables?

SuDZ
the only spot where you have a pre-existing OEM ground point is the passenger headlight harness ground. the other points are new grounding points.

IMHO 4 gauge is more than sufficient for the factory grounds. its just like with car audio, 0 gauge isn't necessarily going to produce more wattage. the most important thing about the factory grounds is to remove the paint by sanding to insure metal to metal contact.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:27 PM

the only spot where you have a pre-existing OEM ground point is the passenger headlight harness ground. the other points are new grounding points.

IMHO 4 gauge is more than sufficient for the factory grounds. its just like with car audio, 0 gauge isn't necessarily going to produce more wattage. the most important thing about the factory grounds is to remove the paint by sanding to insure metal to metal contact.
Gotcha. Thanks.

SuDZ
Old 10-30-2002, 01:14 AM

ground points on 5th gen

Other than the stock battery ground, are these the points where you all have been grounding your new wires to?

Does it make sense to run wires where there is no wire/fusebox/relay harnesses? ie. horn ground

142KB 1024x768

bp
Old 10-30-2002, 07:30 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

pinkabet- GREAT PIC
Old 10-30-2002, 07:59 AM

Re: ground points on 5th gen

Originally posted by pinakbet
Other than the stock battery ground, are these the points where you all have been grounding your new wires to?

Does it make sense to run wires where there is no wire/fusebox/relay harnesses? ie. horn ground

142KB 1024x768

bp
Thanks...Very detailed picture for us visual guys.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:29 AM
Ramius83

So, all that is being done here is you all are taking thicker gauge wire and connecting all of them to these ground points? And to be more clear, are you all "removing" the old wires and adding these in their place or what? I don't exactly get what is going on here.

Old 10-30-2002, 09:37 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by Ramius83
So, all that is being done here is you all are taking thicker gauge wire and connecting all of them to these ground points? And to be more clear, are you all "removing" the old wires and adding these in their place or what? I don't exactly get what is going on here.

there are several thigs you can do.. clean the GND's and then the following

1) make a 2nd GND for your battery

2) use a thicker wire for the battery GND and the enginge GND

3) use bigger wires for the GND's in the entire engine bay
Old 11-07-2002, 11:10 PM

Rockford makes ground wiring kit?

Oh My...
Old 11-08-2002, 07:52 PM

I decided to try a modified version of Anachronism's Walmart Hyper Ground system list in thread http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=143059 I went to Walmart and bought the following:

(1x) 58" 4 Gauge "Switch to Starter" cable (Auto, $4.27)
(2x) 43" 6 Gauge "Switch to Starter" cable (lawn mower, $2.96)
(2x) 27" 6 Gauge "Switch to Starter" cable (lawn mower, $2.48)
(1x) 19" 6 Gauge "Switch to Starter" cable (lawn mower, $2.48)
(1x) pkg of black tie wraps

My goal was to improve the grounding by cleaning the existing groundpoints and adding more copper... (plus have a project to do)

I ran the 58" cable from the alternator ground up over the timing cover across the wiring harness to the negative terminal on the battery (perfect fit). I ran the 43" wires from the 2 groundpoints below the intake manifold up to and across the wiring harness over to a chasis groundpoint I created using an existing threaded bolt hole on top behind the driver headlight (I believe part of the alarm system was mounted there.) Next I ran the 27" wires from the negative terminal of the battery, and the engine ground bracket, to the other threaded hole that exists. Lastly, I used the 19" cable to go from the passenger side front harness ground to the alternator ground (This was my only daisy chain.)

I have seen nice improvements in my 97 SE. Gas mileage and power have increased, plus the car feels smoother. The best part... the final cost w/tax ($23.00). If anyone wants pictures let me know and I'll take and send them some or if someone wants to post them. This actually looks very clean and pretty cool.

Notes: I used a burnishing tool in a drill to remove the paint around all the chasis ground I created or used. I left the existing battery-engine ground wire unchanged. Both grounds added to the negative battery terminal fit by removing the bolt and putting the bolt through them first and then through the terminal clamp.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by jjlash
I decided to try a modified version of Anachronism's Walmart Hyper Ground system list in thread http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=143059 I went to Walmart and bought the following:

(2x) 27" 6 Gauge "Switch to Starter" cable (lawn mower, $2.48)
(1x) pkg of black tie wraps

My goal was to improve the grounding by cleaning the existing groundpoints and adding more copper... (plus have a project to do)

I ran the 58" cable from the alternator ground up over the timing cover across the wiring harness to the negative terminal on the battery (perfect fit). I ran the 43" wires from the 2 groundpoints below the intake manifold up to and across the wiring harness over to a chasis groundpoint I created using an existing threaded bolt hole on top behind the driver headlight (I believe part of the alarm system was mounted there.) Next I ran the 27" wires from the negative terminal of the battery, and the engine ground bracket, to the other threaded hole that exists. Lastly, I used the 19" cable to go from the passenger side front harness ground to the alternator ground (This was my only daisy chain.)

I have seen nice improvements in my 97 SE. Gas mileage and power have increased, plus the car feels smoother. The best part... the final cost w/tax ($23.00). If anyone wants pictures let me know and I'll take and send them some or if someone wants to post them. This actually looks very clean and pretty cool.

Notes: I used a burnishing tool in a drill to remove the paint around all the chasis ground I created or used. I left the existing battery-engine ground wire unchanged. Both grounds added to the negative battery terminal fit by removing the bolt and putting the bolt through them first and then through the terminal clamp.
There was one more 27" cable that I had purchased originally and finally decided to run yesterday (drivers side harness.) Same final price for the project. I also have noticed an improvement in the brightness of the lights.

(3x) 27" 6 Gauge "Switch to Starter" cable (lawn mower, $2.48)
(1x) pkg of black tie wraps ($1.19)
Old 11-10-2002, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by jjlash

There was one more 27" cable that I had purchased originally and finally decided to run yesterday (drivers side harness.) Same final price for the project. I also have noticed an improvement in the brightness of the lights.

(3x) 27" 6 Gauge "Switch to Starter" cable (lawn mower, $2.48)
(1x) pkg of black tie wraps ($1.19)
just like in car audio, a good ground should be 3 feet and under. try to get the shortest wire possible. if I were you I would try to get 4 gauge since the price difference is small.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:38 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

when i did my ground wire, i did notice acceleration was smoother, but then i thought it could be the frankencar... either way there was improvement
Old 11-10-2002, 01:09 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

I also did a poorman's hyperground...

I went to pepboys and bought all the 4g switch to start wires they had. Note that I retained the stock negative battery post wire (which bolts to the body ground and then ends at the engine ground bracket).

Below are the ones I could actually use:
one 49" -from the alternator ground bracket to the engine ground bracket.
one 32" -from the engine ground bracket to the neg post on the battery (Supplementing the stock neg post-to body - to engine bracket wire)
two 40" -each one from the intake manifold grounds to the factory body ground.

I sanded every point of contact, whether it be the factory ring connectors or the body. I treated each point with dielectric grease for corrision resistance. I sanded the headlight harness contact areas (body and ring connectors) and reinstalled the bolts.

I noticed a difference in how my car behaves. It revs a bit smoother. Prior to the poorman's grounds, sometimes when I release the throttle in the first 2 gears around 2000-3000 RPM range, my car bucks a bit when the revs drop. You can see the tach needle drop in a choppy manner. Now when I release the throttle the RPMs drop a lot smoother. It idles smoother and with the air conditioner on it idles smoother and at a lower RPM. Before it would be around 850-900 RPM with the AC on. Now its around 750-800 RPM. This is an awesome mod! Best $23 I spent
Old 11-10-2002, 06:59 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

So how many feet of wire is required for this project total?