General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

370cc Injectors in a NOS'ed 4th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 12:57 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

370cc Injectors in a NOS'ed 4th gen?

I've been giving this some thought lately.

Now that I have my NOS kit installed and working I plan on making my way up to a 100 shot next spring. Now, I know that we don't need to upgrade injectors or anything like that to do so, and no, I don't plan on going any higher than a 100-shot. However, after hearing of BriGuyMax's injector failure, I got to thinking: Why push the stock injectors towards the point of lockup (rumored at 90psi or so) if there's no reason to? Especially when I have over 80k on my stock injectors?

Of course I read MardiGrasMax's 370cc Injector Install post, and others in which he notes that it wouldn't help any NA (of course), and requires a adjustable FPR and mabye aftermarket fuel pump to get the car to run (both of which I already have).

I'm not looking for NA gains, but if I can get the car to be happy around 20-25psi or so NA, and bump it to MUCH less than 85psi when on the bottle (I don't know how high, but I would presume 45-55psi or so), then I would drastically reduce the chance of injector failure, correct (assuming 370cc injectors that are in good shape)?

In addition, I plan on have one form of boost or another by next summer, so this is a modification that I would do at that point anyways.

Thoughts?
Old 10-31-2002, 01:08 PM

the 370cc injectors aren't worth the hassle in my opinion...when you run that much lower FP you run the risk of the fuel not correctly atomizing under WOT or sputtering. Unless you have a tuned ECU to control the new injectors, they are a waste of money.

ej, if you are planning on going boost next summer anyway...stay away from the 100 dry shot...it's much too risky and hard to tune in my opinion...plus the wheelspin induced in second and sometimes even third will only slow your car down...stick with the 70-shot, tune it and enjoy it til next summer when you do go boost.

If you are hell bent on increasing the capacity of you injectors...get a used set of inhjectors off a totaled 4th gen and send them to RC engineering for them to blueprint and increase the capacity of the injectors. The stock ecu should have no problem with that
Old 10-31-2002, 02:20 PM

there is another with those 370cc injectors. If you can't/don't want to reprogram the ECU, try using a variable resistor on the MAF. If you lower the voltage enough it should compensate for the larger injectors without having to mess with the fuel pressure. However with the n2o kit it might require more tuning though.
Old 10-31-2002, 05:04 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

I would rather change over to a direct port system. I was looking at the larger injector/nitrous combo, but it seemed like more of a hassle than just going dp nitrous.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mtrai760
I would rather change over to a direct port system. I was looking at the larger injector/nitrous combo, but it seemed like more of a hassle than just going dp nitrous.
Briguy so for someone like me running a chance of running lean at higher RPMS since I will install that VI getting injectors off a totaled 4th gen is a better idea then getting 300Z injectors? Of course the 4th gen injectors will be sent off to the place you just mentioned. How much will something like that cost?
Old 10-31-2002, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

Briguy so for someone like me running a chance of running lean at higher RPMS since I will install that VI getting injectors off a totaled 4th gen is a better idea then getting 300Z injectors? Of course the 4th gen injectors will be sent off to the place you just mentioned. How much will something like that cost?
They usually have ads in the compact mods. I think it might change from situation to situation though. Probably have to give them a call so you can tell them what you run for boost and other things that involve your particular setup. They usually seem to customize from car to car.

SuDZ
Old 10-31-2002, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

i've got an extra set of 4th gen injectors.
Old 11-01-2002, 12:38 PM

I've got a set of 239cc injectors (stock 4th Gen) still in the fuel rail from a 99 with 1900 miles on them.

That won't solve your problem, though. Failure on an injector is just that, a failure. Getting larger injectors won't prevent it any better, it will allow an increase of fuel the 239cc injectors can't provide.
Old 11-01-2002, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Don in Texas
I've got a set of 239cc injectors (stock 4th Gen) still in the fuel rail from a 99 with 1900 miles on them.

That won't solve your problem, though. Failure on an injector is just that, a failure. Getting larger injectors won't prevent it any better, it will allow an increase of fuel the 239cc injectors can't provide.
check yo email dawg .. .
Old 11-01-2002, 01:37 PM

My suggestion is to sell the NOS and buy an NX kit. No more boosting fuel pressure, injectors run on stock pressure. You could probably get enough for the NOS kit to buy the NX. Virtually the same install and soooo!! much easier to tune.
Superior kit as well. IMHO.
Jim
Old 11-02-2002, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
the 370cc injectors aren't worth the hassle in my opinion...when you run that much lower FP you run the risk of the fuel not correctly atomizing under WOT or sputtering. Unless you have a tuned ECU to control the new injectors, they are a waste of money.
I get 26-28mph hwy, so atomization cant be a problem.

But on an NA car you will need an AFC to get it right, IMHO.

They would be just the thing for nitrous use however.

And I wouldnt *** around with a JWT ECU because the are conservative with their tuning and IMHO thats a waste of money.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:41 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

That's what I was afftaid of. Bummer.
Old 11-02-2002, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

I get 26-28mph hwy, so atomization cant be a problem.

They would be just the thing for nitrous use however.

And I wouldnt *** around with a JWT ECU because the are conservative with their tuning and IMHO thats a waste of money.
I can vouch for this comment! the stuff is a total waste of freaking money so dont go that route. I am very serious