General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

2K3 Accord Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 02:15 PM

2K3 Accord Coupe

My new issue of Motor Trend just came in and they did a test on the Accord Coupe. Well, the 6-speed coupe does 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and the quarter mile in 14.5 seconds. That's impressive numbers for a Honda, don't you guys think? I think that the 5th gen boys have a new competitor on the horizon. With Honda's excellent aftermarket support, it won't be too hard to get one of those into the 13's. But one thing that I can't get over is how ugly the car is and that it is a HONDA! What if the Maxima had a coupe? Hmmm, I only wish.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:36 PM

Re: 2K3 Accord Coupe

Originally posted by heems27
My new issue of Motor Trend just came in and they did a test on the Accord Coupe. Well, the 6-speed coupe does 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and the quarter mile in 14.5 seconds. That's impressive numbers for a Honda, don't you guys think? I think that the 5th gen boys have a new competitor on the horizon. With Honda's excellent aftermarket support, it won't be too hard to get one of those into the 13's. But one thing that I can't get over is how ugly the car is and that it is a HONDA! What if the Maxima had a coupe? Hmmm, I only wish.
I actually liked the 2003 coupe I saw the other day.
What is really ugly is the sedan. It just looks so strange. They have this huge H emblem in the front. You can see it for miles.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:36 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

for some odd reason if I look at the new Accord at the right angle I think it looks kinda nice. and so theres is a 5 and 6-spd option or just 6??

*waiting for a lock and/or an indepth analysis with colorful graphs by SteVtec! *
Old 10-31-2002, 02:54 PM

The Accord looks weird to me ... I don't know what about it. Back reminds me of a Camry.

I saw some pics of the Acura TSX (non-US Accord), that looks decent.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:56 PM
living out of a maxima...

IMHO the new Accord is UGLY. 14.5 is nice, but its ugly.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:12 PM
Dev

Re: Re: 2K3 Accord Coupe

Originally posted by Dany

I actually liked the 2003 coupe I saw the other day.
What is really ugly is the sedan. It just looks so strange. They have this huge H emblem in the front. You can see it for miles.
its weird how the emblems are getting bigger like that
i noticed the 2k2/2k3 maxima's and alitma's have really huge hamburger badges now as well. they make it big as if its a mercedes emblem or something...haha
i personally like small emblems, or even better, none at all.

but i just passed by an accord coupe today...it looks kind of awkward because its so new, but it'll be fine once we see them on the road and get used to them.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:21 PM

Look at Motor Trends NEW issue and see how they compare the 03'Honda Accord coupe with the Mercedes C320 or CLK320 ( I forgot which one). They did a side by side comparsion and to tell you the truth, they almost look identical. All you have to do is change the emblems.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by augie
Look at Motor Trends NEW issue and see how they compare the 03'Honda Accord coupe with the Mercedes C320 or CLK320 ( I forgot which one). They did a side by side comparsion and to tell you the truth, they almost look identical. All you have to do is change the emblems.
I do have the new issue and in my opinion, the Mercedes is just as ugly as the accord!
Old 10-31-2002, 04:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by augie
That would be the new CLK...and everyone over at mbworld agrees it looks like a honda.

Erik
Old 10-31-2002, 07:02 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

the performance outweighs the ugliness
Old 10-31-2002, 07:13 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by DA-MAX
*waiting for a lock and/or an indepth analysis with colorful graphs by SteVtec! :-D *

No graphs, but CarTest2000 is telling me 6.22s to 60mph, and a 14.63 @ 96 through the 1/4 mile (w/2.45s 60'), which more or less agrees with the MT report.

With Honda's excellent aftermarket support, it won't be too hard to get one of those into the 13's.
I wouldn't necessarily count on this. Honda seems to be trying to shake their "riceboy" image by making their cars less and less modifiable. The new Accord V6 engine, the J30A4, has integrated exhaust manifolds (no more headers), and I wouldn't be surprised if they did other things such as welding cats as well.

I'm still waiting for my MT like usual so thanks for posting this up
Old 10-31-2002, 07:28 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by SteVTEC

I wouldn't necessarily count on this. Honda seems to be trying to shake their "riceboy" image by making their cars less and less modifiable. The new Accord V6 engine, the J30A4, has integrated exhaust manifolds (no more headers), and I wouldn't be surprised if they did other things such as welding cats as well.
Hondas take to mods just fine. Look at how well the late model Acuras take to mods. The new RSX and CL-S/TL-S prove this quite well.

Dave
Old 10-31-2002, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
Hondas take to mods just fine. Look at how well the late model Acuras take to mods. The new RSX and CL-S/TL-S prove this quite well.
The same exact Comptech headers that give upwards of 20 fwhp gains on the Acura's give only 10 fwhp on the older Accord V6's. Honda is castrating many of their Honda motors in very subtle ways that cripples them performance-wise. They don't do the same thing in their Acura products.

Honda J30A4: integrated exhaust manifold, castrated cams, non-variable intake manifold.

Acura J32A2: separate exhaust manifold, GOOD cams, variable intake manifold.

I suspect it's mainly a bottom-line issue. Honda only puts the good parts in their Acura-brand engines (for the most part), because they know volumes will be lower and the prices will be higher. I guess it's not profitable to spend money on these things for their mass-market products because they want to keep the price as low as possible. Why add cost to a car for something that 99.99% of the customers won't even care about nor understand?

This is why I'm liking Nissan these days. They put all/most of the good performance stuff in their Nissan products. They don't force you into buying an Infiniti if you want a car that moves, too
Old 10-31-2002, 08:16 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

if only it looked good!

but that thing is ugly as hell..
The #s are very nice..

What did Motor Trend get out of the 2k3 6 speed max again? 14.7?

so in theory.. they got 14.7 out the 2k3.. but it can do 14.2 with no sweat with a good driver.
they got 14.5 out the 2k3 Accord 6speed coupe.. so it should be capable of 14 flat stock right?

damn,
as much as I dislike Hondas, (although I like Acuras)
this car might be a nice performer.. despite it's uglyness
Old 10-31-2002, 08:25 PM

seen a few 2k3 accord coupes on the road...one up close.
they look pretty damn nice...the front is wat i dont like, looks like a civic or rsx or soemthing...but overall it's good looking and performance is great too. i can't possibly say a 5th gen looks better than the new accord coupe

now the accord sedan looks like crap.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:08 PM

The same exact Comptech headers that give upwards of 20 fwhp gains on the Acura's give only 10 fwhp on the older Accord V6's. Honda is castrating many of their Honda motors in very subtle ways that cripples them performance-wise. They don't do the same thing in their Acura products.
Actually Comptech and OBX headers add 30 hp to the wheels on the CL Type S. I have a set of OBX headers on order for my Type S.

How do you think I feel. I bought a $32K CL Type S and now I can be out run by an Accord Coupe that cost $8K less. Oh well, **** happens. I am happy with my Toys!
Old 10-31-2002, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by osclude

How do you think I feel. I bought a $32K CL Type S and now I can be out run by an Accord Coupe that cost $8K less. Oh well, **** happens. I am happy with my Toys!
over at Accordv6.com some guys there posted that a fully loaded (navi and all the goodies) accord coupe is like $32k.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by MaximaPower

over at Accordv6.com some guys there posted that a fully loaded (navi and all the goodies) accord coupe is like $32k.
Ok maybe now I don't feel so bad.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:41 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by MaximaPower

I just checked the Honda website and KBB.com and they both show the EX V6 coupe auto (with leather as standard) listing at $25,600. I didn't check how much navigation is, but I'd assume it's ~$2000. Am I the only guy here that thinks any navi system is a complete waste of money? Why not figure out where the F you're going before you leave house? What's so hard about reading a $3 map?

BTW, the new Accords may look a little plain in stock form, but I think they will dress up quite well. Much like the 4th gen Maxima does. The 6 speed is really catching my eye and the Accord's interior is extremely nice. Mid 14s in stock form ain't bad either.

Dave
Old 10-31-2002, 11:42 PM

It's funny how before, all the Accord guys would say "Yea those Max's maybe fast, but they're ugly as HELL!"

Now we're like "Yea, those Accords maybe fast, but they're ugly as HELL!"

I agree, the sedan doesn't look too great, but after seeing a few on the street, I'm getting used to it, but the rear could use some work. The best news is the 5 spd Auto which helps the Accord quite a bit. I wish Nissan would put in a 5 spd auto in the 04 Max, especially if they really want the Max to move up-market, but it seems doubtful.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: 2K3 Accord Coupe

i really like the new Accord coupe...except..it needs a small decklid wing in the rear...the rear looks kinda..naked..
Old 11-01-2002, 12:07 AM
Former Sponsor

hmmm I like your car better Hoon... I've seent eh 2k3 on the street and even the coupe looks kinda odd
Old 11-01-2002, 06:15 AM

I really dont care for the car, too many of the main design features on the car are taken form other cars. For example the headlights look like they came from the Altima and all they did was add a little more curve to the lense. The other design is that of the tail lights they where taken directly from the Benz CL's and again all they did was round the edges. I'm sorry but I dont like cars that are piecedmealed from othe cars it just shows a lack of imaganation.

You guys seem a little worried about this cars numbers. This car has two doors we have four, any car that has four doors and can keep up with a car with two gets alot of respect in my book.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:34 AM
Administrator

lower that thing... its damn near floating
Old 11-01-2002, 06:54 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by Dave B

Am I the only guy here that thinks any navi system is a complete waste of money? Why not figure out where the F you're going before you leave house? What's so hard about reading a $3 map?
3 dollar map u have to pull over to read..sometimes it's not safe to do so. sometimes u need to take a detour because there's traffic or construction or a road you don't want to take when u get to the point. it's great to have choices while you're on the rd and not pulling out. people used to get ****ed that they have to pull over to change a trunk mounted cd changer..now they have indash. it's a luxury..once u have it you'll think how did u ever live w/o it.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:41 AM
I'm so hood

I'm happy to see Honda yield a little more to enthusiast/performance-oriented drivers in the past couple years. If only the Type II 6-speed Legend coupes woulda hung around for longer...

...although I must say the accord is pretty fugly in my eyes. The sedan is vomit-inducing and confused and the coupe doesn't look much better to me.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I saw a new accord sedan the other day and I almost hurled. You want fugly? That is the essence. The back end is like...a mutand squirrel.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by DanNY
3 dollar map u have to pull over to read..sometimes it's not safe to do so. sometimes u need to take a detour because there's traffic or construction or a road you don't want to take when u get to the point. it's great to have choices while you're on the rd and not pulling out. people used to get ****ed that they have to pull over to change a trunk mounted cd changer..now they have indash. it's a luxury..once u have it you'll think how did u ever live w/o it.
My techy side says navigation - COOL! The reality side is I doubt I'll spend more then $50 on maps in my lifetime. I really couldn't justify havING a $2000 gps system. Now I'd imagine that with time (10 years?) these systems will get cheaper and more affordable. Look here its now available on an ACCORD! Plus you can look at ABS system, DVD players etc... All pretty cheap with time.

Looking back at safety I'm a triple A member, being such I get towing, free maps etc... Anyhow no flames, my 2 cents on the subject.

Wizeguy
Old 11-01-2002, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by Wizeguy
My techy side says navigation - COOL! The reality side is I doubt I'll spend more then $50 on maps in my lifetime. I really couldn't justify havING a $2000 gps system. Now I'd imagine that with time (10 years?) these systems will get cheaper and more affordable. Look here its now available on an ACCORD! Plus you can look at ABS system, DVD players etc... All pretty cheap with time.

Looking back at safety I'm a triple A member, being such I get towing, free maps etc... Anyhow no flames, my 2 cents on the subject.

Wizeguy
Ditto.

But I use my $300 handheld Garmin eTrex GPS in conjunction with my FREE AAA maps

The combination is just as good if not better than a full in-car NAV system, and you can still take the handheld with you when you park the car, and go out someplace, or even if you rent a car
Old 11-01-2002, 09:26 AM
OG and counting...

Originally posted by Lime
I saw a new accord sedan the other day and I almost hurled. You want fugly? That is the essence. The back end is like...a mutand squirrel.
Accord Sedan: Looks they grafted the front end of an Altima with the back end of a Saab and then threw in the taillights from a Buick for good measure. In short, fugly as hell. I have seen 3 of these things on the street and I wanted to seriously hurl.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:00 AM

Good performance, but definitely an ugly car (coupe and sedan). IMO The front of the coupe looks like a Civic and the back looks like a wannabe Mercedes. The sedan looks like a Civic in front and a 1st gen Saturn L-series in back.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:14 AM

does anyone know if the new accord has ashtrays? you're probably thinking wtf?? but my mom's 98 doesn't have ashtrays and my dad really gets mad when we take her car on long road trips.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by CanadianMaxima
does anyone know if the new accord has ashtrays? you're probably thinking wtf?? but my mom's 98 doesn't have ashtrays and my dad really gets mad when we take her car on long road trips.
http://www.handaaccessories.com/accint00.html

Ashtray with lighter
Fits '98-2000
List Price $60.00 Shipping weight 1 lbs $58.80
Old 11-01-2002, 06:41 PM

No graphs, but CarTest2000 is telling me 6.22s to 60mph, and a 14.63 @ 96 through the 1/4 mile (w/2.45s 60'), which more or less agrees with the MT report.

I'm still waiting for my MT like usual so thanks for posting this up
They did weld the cats. The manifolds are part of the head now (I think) with close coupled cats.

As for my 2 cents, the coupe looks pretty good in person, but it lacks character; looks like quasi-wedge shaped submarine. The front end is boring. The sedan looks like a wanna-be Altima, except somehow pudgier looking. Can you say GORDITA (little fat woman/girl)?

But wait, the a$$ is J-Lo style...Looks good in the right clothes (from the right angle), but from straight on, watch out now, that's a big a$$...

rL
Old 11-01-2002, 08:53 PM

Ditto.

But I use my $300 handheld Garmin eTrex GPS in conjunction with my FREE AAA maps

The combination is just as good if not better than a full in-car NAV system, and you can still take the handheld with you when you park the car, and go out someplace, or even if you rent a car
Ok let me say this. I have a CL Type S with NAVI and I will have to admit to having the same ideas as posted above. I questioned gettting NAVI or not, is 2K really worth it, then I would have said well not really, now it's totally worth every penny.

Guys don't look at NAVI as just an over glorified mapsco, it does more than that. It can help me find the nearest gas stations, ATM machines, phone numbers of resturants, addresses, detours, shopping, point of intrests, it can even find the nearest style of food your hungry for. In the mood for Spagetti, choose resturants, then Italian, then sort by distance, bam here is the list of resturants and distance, select and it maps the way.

After owning a car with NAVI for 2 years, I find I use it everytime I drive my CL. The only regret I have is I wish my 97 SE had the option. Very Very usefull.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:33 PM

I don't like the exterior of the new accord.
but i think the inside is really nice
Old 11-01-2002, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by osclude
Guys don't look at NAVI as just an over glorified mapsco, it does more than that. It can help me find the nearest gas stations, ATM machines, phone numbers of resturants, addresses, detours, shopping, point of intrests, it can even find the nearest style of food your hungry for. In the mood for Spagetti, choose resturants, then Italian, then sort by distance, bam here is the list of resturants and distance, select and it maps the way.
My eTrex Legend does all of that too

It comes with this...

...which has all of that information that you mentioned on it. My eTrex has 8 MB of memory on-board which is enough to cover the nearest major metropolitan area and all surrounding suburbs. If I go somplace else, I just download the maps for that location to it. And it doesn't matter if I'm in my Maxima, in my fiance's Highlander, in a rental car somewhere else in the US, or even overseas. It's handheld and will go anywhere.

Of course, if I was some sort of sales rep and all I did was drive around all day long going to meet different people, I would probably splurge for the in-car NAV too