General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Cattman's new Titanium-based FSTBs

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002 | 05:16 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Cattman's new Titanium-based FSTBs

We'll be releasing the long-awaited (at least by me) Cattman TiBar FSTB this coming week. It features a dual tube titanium cross bar, with black-anodized billet aluminum centerpiece and end sockets. The full-circle brackets at the ends are black powdercoat steel. As you would expect the bar is extremely light weight and rigid, you can pick it up with your little finger. Its meant to work better than anything out there and look outstanding under the hood.

The Cattman TiBar comes in four different applications, specifically made to fit the 02-03, 00-01, 95-99 and 89-94 (all); the 00-01 version will be in stock first -- early this coming week -- followed by the 02-03 and 95-99 versions within days, and the 89-94 before the end of the month. Other than the bending dimensions of the tubing, they will be identical.

The TiBar was designed from scratch by Cattman Performance and is U.S.-made by our local fabricating partner. Its entirely a product of my imagination, you won't find anything like it anywhere (yet, anyway). Its not a deal like we've done in the past (and many do now) where our name is applied to an off-the-shelf part.

The retail price is $189 but they will be offered at an introductory price of $179 for a few weeks. Given the materials and machining involved, this part is not meant to compete with the cheap imported FSTBs. Some may scoff, but I don't make much money on this because the materials and machining involved are very expensive. In a way its a matter of pride because I have been unable to find a series of FSTBs that fit all Maximas well and aren't -- I have to say it -- just butt-ugly to look at. Cattman Performance has a tradition of trying to develop and sell the best quality parts available and this part exemplifies that philosophy.

The photo links below were taken before the nuts and bolts came in, but obviously these come assembled and with all the necessary parts. I'll have better pics as they become available.

Cattman TiBar 1
Cattman TiBar 2

Orders can be made now through our order line, 800.759.9920. 00-01 applications will be ready early this week and the 02-03 and possibly 95-99 versions should be available by next week. Credit cards will not be charged until the part goes out.

These will appear on our new website, due mid-December. Contact me by email with any questions.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 11-02-2002 | 10:44 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Great job Brian. The bar looks good and the price is very competitive with Stillen.
Old 11-02-2002 | 10:46 PM
Sports Button FTW

definitely a new look. those bars look like they can take an a$$ kicking. how much is stillen anyway?
Old 11-03-2002 | 05:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The TiBar FSTB looks great.

My father has 2k3 maxima and he tried a FSTB that was made for the 2k2 + but it did not fit. On the driver's side strut tower there is a bracket welded to the top of the strut tower where the support bracket for the airbox mounts to. The FSTB mounting bracket sat on top of the corner of the bracket welded onto the strut tower. This raised the FSTB bracket enough to rub the insulation on the underside of the hood and raised the hood high enough to cause it to flutter at highway speeds.

Did you run into this problem when you were desiging the TiBar FSTB for the 2k2+?

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2002 | 06:03 AM

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...article&sid=12
Old 11-03-2002 | 07:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Brian, it looks very cool! I don't want to give up the one I got from you ~1.5 years ago though!
Old 11-03-2002 | 07:53 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

cool look
Old 11-03-2002 | 09:36 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Here is something "like it".

IMO you should've went with a single heavy-walled steel oval tube with the mounting plates welded to the bar for a one-piece design similar to some strut bars Neuspeed makes for Hondas/Acuras.
Old 11-03-2002 | 10:00 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally posted by speedtrip
The TiBar FSTB looks great.

My father has 2k3 maxima and he tried a FSTB that was made for the 2k2 + but it did not fit. On the driver's side strut tower there is a bracket welded to the top of the strut tower where the support bracket for the airbox mounts to. The FSTB mounting bracket sat on top of the corner of the bracket welded onto the strut tower. This raised the FSTB bracket enough to rub the insulation on the underside of the hood and raised the hood high enough to cause it to flutter at highway speeds.

Did you run into this problem when you were desiging the TiBar FSTB for the 2k2+?

Thanks!
I'm fairly sure I know what you mean, it required an extra bend to work around it. I don't think its specific to the '03, the '02 has it too. A very tight spot.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 11-03-2002 | 10:07 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally posted by Smooth Operator
Here is something "like it".

IMO you should've went with a single heavy-walled steel oval tube with the mounting plates welded to the bar for a one-piece design similar to some strut bars Neuspeed makes for Hondas/Acuras.
Except,

1. its not titanium
2. the open circle brackets lack strength
3. the absence of a cross piece in the middle allows unacceptable twisting

Brian
Old 11-03-2002 | 10:48 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Cattman

Except,

1. its not titanium
2. the open circle brackets lack strength
3. the absence of a cross piece in the middle allows unacceptable twisting

Brian
"Like it" is a broad-based term, and if you showed a person a pic of your new bar and the aluminum one Nopi sells, I'd bet they'll say they look similar, even though there are differences like the ones you point out.

Regarding O-shape mounting brackets Vs. C-shape mounting brackets, arguing rigidity is moot since:

1. The mounting brackets utilize all 3 strut assembly mounting studs/nuts
2. The brackets lay flat against the body

and once bolted down discussing flexability of the mounting brackets is just silly.

Like I said, IMO you should've went with an all-steel construction than the one you designed. It would've been more rigid and cost-effective. Looks cool though. So good job, I guess?

EDIT: To be fair I would definitely pick your FSTB over Stillen's
Old 11-04-2002 | 05:57 AM
rilla dope

I'd go for the Cattman variety for sure. Cattman is all about performance and forging good relationships with buyers, at least that's what I get from the emails I receive from them.

It may not be the cheapest, but he always guarantees that if he sells it, it's the best. Someone that stands behind their work is pretty important to me at least so I'm gonna give this one a shot. If it works better than the near worthless single bar ones I'll be happy, and gold shiny too!
Old 11-04-2002 | 06:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Those bars are tight!