General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Idling problem / Strange sounds / Service time...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 05:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Idling problem / Strange sounds / Service time...

Car is going in for a service Tuesday, so I want to get some things checked out. If you guys can guide me I can offer some suggestions to the mechanics. Thanks.

1. After the car is fully warmed up, it idles at about 500-550 RPM. That's low isn't it? I dont' remember it being that low previously. What could be the problem? My CEL is not on.

2. Everytime I start my car, about two a second after I start there is a second-long screech. To my recollection this not abnormal, but it is very loud now and I think something is wrong. It sounds like the car is sick. People look at my car when it starts.

3. Like I said the car is going in for a 64.5k service Tuesday. The service advisor said I need the normal oil/lube/filter in addition to a transmission flush and coolant flush. If I get everything it is going to be about $250, and if I simply don't get the coolant flush it becomes $170. It's that a lot for a coolant flush? Also should I get the engine flush while I'm there and how much does that normally run?

Thanks again guys,
-Cyrus
Old 11-02-2002, 05:51 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Idling problem / Strange sounds / Service time...

Originally posted by Vyrus
Car is going in for a service Tuesday, so I want to get some things checked out. If you guys can guide me I can offer some suggestions to the mechanics. Thanks.

1. After the car is fully warmed up, it idles at about 500-550 RPM. That's low isn't it? I dont' remember it being that low previously. What could be the problem? My CEL is not on.

2. Everytime I start my car, about two a second after I start there is a second-long screech. To my recollection this not abnormal, but it is very loud now and I think something is wrong. It sounds like the car is sick. People look at my car when it starts.

3. Like I said the car is going in for a 64.5k service Tuesday. The service advisor said I need the normal oil/lube/filter in addition to a transmission flush and coolant flush. If I get everything it is going to be about $250, and if I simply don't get the coolant flush it becomes $170. It's that a lot for a coolant flush? Also should I get the engine flush while I'm there and how much does that normally run?

Thanks again guys,
-Cyrus
500 rpms is low even for a stick. I know you try to pretend to have a stick with your shift boot j/k. It might be a dirty fuel filter.

The screech could be from the drivebelts or the starter. Sounds like the belts to me. Check which side its coming from. If its the passenger side then its the belts. If its from the driver side you might have the starter noise.

The coolant flush is expensive because they have to get behind the exhaust manifolds to unscrew the drain bolts on the engine block (assuming that they even do this). Its very difficult to reach if you have the stock y-pipe. Usually they take off the stock y-pipe. Look in your OWNER's manual for coolant changing. Look at the picture they provide; the y-pipe is removed, showing the mounting studs from the manifold (even though they don't go into details) about it.

I've seen engine flush service go for $100. I did the DIY when I switched to Amsoil. You can do try a DIY engine flush. Should cost you 5 qts of new oil, 2 new oil filters and a can of engine flush. If you use cheap dino oil then everything can cost as little as $20.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:52 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Cyrus, I can't believe your not doing this stuff yourself.

As far as your noise goes, is it the famous starter screatch?
Or maybe your idler pully or belts are starting to show signs of wear.

Have you ever cleaned your throttle body or IACV? That sometimes brings the idle speed up a bit.

I hope your experiance with the dealer is a good one. Please post back here how things go.

Good luck!
Tom
Old 11-02-2002, 06:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Cyrus, I can't believe your not doing this stuff yourself.
It's honestly about the time! I just don't have the time to do it. I've done oil/lube/filter before, but never and engine or tranny flush, and if it's going to the dealer anyways they might as well do it all.

Thanks for the tips Smooth Op and Tom, I'm going to go check which side of the engine the squealing comes from in a few minutes. I haven't cleaned the TB, and that's a good point it could very well be the reason for my low-RPMs. I didn't know the coolant flush was that much of a PITA, I guess that's not a bad price after all.

Tom I love my dealer. They're really awesome, nice people. This board and Hall Nissan and the two reasons my next car just might be a Max. Anyways I'll let you guys know how it goes, and thanks again for the info!

-Cyrus