General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

3 die in Maxima this morning

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 08:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

3 die in Maxima this morning

Three Perish In Fiery Car Accident In Queens

(11/04/02 - New York) -- Three people were killed early today when their car slammed into a pillar and caught fire near the Queensboro Bridge. New York city police say the accident took place around 4:30 this morning at the intersection of Queens Plaza South and Crescent Street in Long Island City, Queens. Police say the car veered into a structural support alongside the bridge, causing the car to burst into flames. All three people inside the car were pronounced dead at the scene. The names of the victims were not immediately known.

I hope this is not anyone here. It was reported a Nissan Maxima. It was also reported to be street racing.

From NY1 News

Top Stories

Three Killed In Car Accident Near 59th Street Bridge

NOVEMBER 04TH, 2002

A car accident near the 59th Street Bridge killed three people early Monday, and brought the morning commute to a standstill.

According to investigators, the driver lost control of the car as it came off the bridge's lower Queens-bound roadway at about 4:30 a.m. Monday. The car then hit a pillar at Queens Plaza South and Crescent Street, and caught fire.

Several people on the scene risked their own lives to try to help, but were unable to rescue those trapped inside.

“We saw the car hit the wall here, and when we came to the scene it was basically a little bit of fire,” said one man who tried to rescue the victims from the burning car. “We tried to get into the car to get the people out. As we were trying to pull them through the window, the fire came up and engulfed the whole car, and we just had to let them go. We didn't want to really do that, but we had no choice.”

“I you're a Good Samaritan, I can't make a hard and fast rule in a case like this,” said FDNY Deputy Chief Jon Malkin. “This is life or death, and you tend to do what your conscience tells you to do up to a point where you're driven away by fire. I can't say that you can make a rule for that. You do what's in your heart to do and what you can physically do in a life-threatening situation.”

The Queens bound lanes on the lower level of the 59th Street Bridge remained closed for several hours, but were finally reopened to traffic around 9:00 a.m.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:52 AM

mannn, thats sad, prayers go out to thier families

anu
Old 11-04-2002, 08:54 AM

I really hope its no one on here
Old 11-04-2002, 09:00 AM

Where does it say it was street racing?
Old 11-04-2002, 09:03 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by clee130
Where does it say it was street racing?
yeah, I didn't read that either
Old 11-04-2002, 09:09 AM

Fox 5 news on TV said witnesses saw them dragging on the bridge.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:53 AM
Blu
the tits

thats horrible especially if you knew they were not killed from impact and had to watch them go down like that.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:14 AM
Langley AFB Sux

WTF?

Why when someone is killed in a maxima do people post it?
We all know what speeding does. If they were street racing or dragging they knew the consequences. "Street Racing" doesnt necessarily kill people. Anyone in any car can get t-boned and killed on the way to the grocery store, driving 30 MPH. It's the individual thats to blame.

Tired of hearing "street racing" come up every time there is a car related fatality.

Its getting old.

People die in car accidents every day. **** happens.

Jeff92se edit: Poster confirmed it was a maxima. And since it was a maxima and and since alot of us still street race, it hits home a little harder. Crashes w/ Hondas involved don't seem to strike nearly as close to home. Plus there's a chance it might be someone we know.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:17 AM
Boost.....

Re: WTF?

Originally posted by Aaron95SE
We all know what speeding does. If they were street racing or dragging they knew the consequences. "Street Racing" doesnt necessarily kill people. Anyone in any car can get t-boned and killed on the way to the grocery store, driving 30 MPH. It's the individual thats to blame.

Tired of hearing "street racing" come up every time there is a car related fatality.

Its getting old.

Me too....but I would have put it a little more empathatic and sensative.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:29 AM

SuDZ
Old 11-04-2002, 10:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Its getting old.

Jeff92se edit: Poster confirmed it was a maxima. And since it was a maxima and and since alot of us still street race, it hits home a little harder. Crashes w/ Hondas involved don't seem to strike nearly as close to home. Plus there's a chance it might be someone we know.
you're ignorant or a fool if you honestly believe that you don't greatly increase your chances of harming yourself and/or others by racing across a bridge...as opposed to going to a grocery store at 30 mph.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:38 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Re: Re: WTF?

Originally posted by Padsy 02 6sp

Me too....but I would have put it a little more empathatic and sensative.
Well my condolences to their families.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:40 AM
I'm needing a caw

BTW it looks like a white 4-gen.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:47 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by CKNY

you're ignorant or a fool if you honestly believe that you don't greatly increase your chances of harming yourself and/or others by racing across a bridge...as opposed to going to a grocery store at 30 mph.
I didnt say it doesnt. I was implying that its each individuals fault, not racing. They were the ignorant ones.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:59 AM
Boost.....

Originally posted by CKNY

D'oh
Old 11-04-2002, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Jeff92se
BTW it looks like a white 4-gen.
very good jeff
Old 11-04-2002, 03:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: WTF?

I didnt say it doesnt. I was implying that its each individuals fault, not racing. They were the ignorant ones.
Aaron95SE, you are an idiot. An individual can make a mistake and correct it at 30mph or less a lot quicker than someome steert racing at speeds in excess of 60mph. Street Racing period is stupid. I have been there and seen a lot of accidents that could be avoided. Much more that you could probally ever seen. I been to all the spots in NYC. I was around and can probally tell you about the stories you heard of. If you are over 23 and still street racing you have a serious problem. The track is open to everyone now.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:30 PM

that's sad.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:48 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: WTF?

Originally posted by Shannon and Ian If you are over 23 and still street racing you have a serious problem.
ummmm, you don't hang out here much do you.... you just labled probably about half of the usuers on here.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:50 PM

Just remember, street race, and the other guy get into an accident and someone dies, you8 are an accessory to the crime. That why I turn down races by people who come next to me. I have confidence in myself but that other guy ****s up you are just as guilty. So again, street racing is stupid.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:54 PM

Sad that it happened..however anyone on this board that has mods probablly at least once raced on the streets so before you come on and post stuff think about it. its like pot calling the kettle black..or vice versa that saying
Old 11-04-2002, 04:54 PM

Old 11-04-2002, 05:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It definitely "hit's home" when its a Maxima involved in something like this! I just hope it's not anyone on the board.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:23 PM
I need a truck

that stinks ...
Old 11-04-2002, 08:40 PM

i know that spot exactly, and its dangerous

hmm street racing is one thing..racing on the queensboro bridge is just STUPID, cuz i KNOW FOR SURE, that sharp right curve at the bottom of the upper and lower roadways off the bridge is REALLY tight and i dont think ANYONE can handle that at more than 20, definately not the lower roadway one and im guessing it was on the lower roadway, and i remember one time almost hitting one of those pillars, its a real scary place and its dangerous the way the road merges off the bridge, they should really fix that up, it can definately be an easy accident and instant death or a real bad injury if u do catch one of those pillars, even if youre not racing, jus causually driving fast, if u dont brake in time, u can easily miss the curve...coming off that lower bridge isnt easy if you're going anywhere over 15-20 if you take the first right to get strait onto the service road of queens blvd
i pray for the families of those victims and hope its no1 i or anyone on here might possibly know, cuz i know alotta people with white 4th gens in queens
Old 11-04-2002, 08:41 PM
+COLLANA+

street race

I abstain from such thing but sometimes you are forced into such stupidity...it's called hormone, right?

So when the testerone charge kicks in, you have to do what you have to do.

And that's why flame thrower mod will save more lives by scaring your opponents.

Old 11-04-2002, 08:42 PM

My .02

Whether they were drunk, street-racing, driving without a license, or whatever else... burning to death is a he11 of a price to pay for it. The fact that they "may have been" racing makes it no less tragic. Three families lost loved ones. Or, worse, one family may have lost three loved ones! We weren't there, and we don't know what really happened. The fact that we all drive the same car as them makes it newsworthy to us, so let's don't kill the messenger here. And for sure, let's don't give the impression that, if they were racing, they deserved it. Very few people DESERVE to die.

God rest their souls.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:49 PM

theres nothing wrong with a "spirited run" on the road. especially when youre destroying a 4bang ricer..which usually takes about 5 seconds. in that 5 seconds, all will be ok IF you dont do it on a road where you will crash and burn. pun intended.

needless to say, this story makes us all feel bad for someone. but stories about death make the org so blah
Old 11-04-2002, 09:24 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by Shannon and Ian
Just remember, street race, and the other guy get into an accident and someone dies, you8 are an accessory to the crime. That why I turn down races by people who come next to me. I have confidence in myself but that other guy ****s up you are just as guilty. So again, street racing is stupid.

Sounds like what your saying is that your not worried about making a mistake... Your just worried what the other guy might do or what mistake They might make...

Oh BTW.. I misqouted you.. kinda of like you did the other member... just my 2 cents

If you are over 23 and still street racing you have a serious problem.

Oh..ok.. thanks dr.phill for setting the age limit for street racing

and did I say I support street racing?? NO

SG01MaxSE and other memebers- good thoughts and prayers
Old 11-04-2002, 10:23 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Its getting old.

Street Racing Kills
Street Racing Kills
Street Racing Kills
Street Racing Kills
Street Racing Kills
Street Racing Kills
Street Racing Kills
Street Racing Kills
Street Racing Kills
Old 11-04-2002, 10:31 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

saw it on the news

regardless of what kind of car it was
sad
bridges here are all pretty dangerous especially entering and coming off them where roads split and merge.. since this city is so congested and the roads are so terrible, you have to be careful
Old 11-05-2002, 03:41 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Aaron95SE, you are an idiot. An individual can make a mistake and correct it at 30mph or less a lot quicker than someome steert racing at speeds in excess of 60mph. Street Racing period is stupid. I have been there and seen a lot of accidents that could be avoided. Much more that you could probally ever seen. I been to all the spots in NYC. I was around and can probally tell you about the stories you heard of. If you are over 23 and still street racing you have a serious problem. The track is open to everyone now.
You obviously dont see my point.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:19 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Look I didnt mean to offend anyone.

My most sincere condolences to the families involved.

MY point or .02 was that everytime someone dies in a maxima, someone jumps on the forum and informs us....not 1 reply later "street racing" comes up. True they might and most likely were. The chances were increased due to excessive speeds/wreckless driving. I know this. Their mistake, their choice, their fault-not street racing.

Most likely all of us here have street raced. There is no point in denying it. We know the risks and the consequnces.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:03 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

There is a difference between "Beating someone to a merge" and out-and-out street racing. I have been guilty of both in my more than 10 years of driving, but more recently I don't find myself exceeding my normal cruising speed on any particular road due to tussles other drivers.

I think it's still important to remind folks that street racing is dangerous and that people die from it every day. Not just the bad drivers but also good drivers, uninvolved drivers and innocent civilians. That goes for doint 140 on the freeway alone as well as racing up to 80 on a surface street. It's so important because people still post street racing threads all the time. The moderators try to keep of top of it as much as is fair and appropriate, but it's a fine line to walk between condoning dangerous activity and allowing members freedom of speech.

We hear how cool it is to street race from our friends, this and other forums, and from TV (FAF!!). Sometimes it's important to see the flip side of the argument.

How many drunk drivers would there be out there if there waere no visible anti-drunk-driving campaigns? We al know it's dangerous and many of us still do it. Do the math - I betcha you could figure out the speed at which you available reaction time makes you as dangerous as a drunk driver. Even a .5 second extra PR time (Percetion then Reaction) time makes you illegally dangerous from drink. At 30mph .5 secs on only 3 carlengths. At 60mph that's 6 carlengths. At that speed someone can pull out in front of you 384 feet (24 carlengths) and by the time you reach them you haven't even had time to put your brakes on yet. At 30mph that would be 192 feet (12 cars). That is equivalent to a PR time of 3.8 seconds at 30mph. That means that a normal driver travelling at 60mph on a 30mph road is 4x slower to react to a dangerous situation ahead than a drunk driver at 30mph.

Well, that's just what I think. If you don't agree then c'est la vie. Or c'est la mort, however you wish to look at it.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:32 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....45#post1516745
Old 11-06-2002, 07:40 AM
I'm so hood

People change their minds in the course of their lives. It happens.

That's why these posts are here. But in an issue like street racing, most people need personal experiences to sway their opinions on the topic, and subsequent actions. I know I did.

For those that defend street racing to the death....buy the ticket, take the ride.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:16 AM

I didn't know street racing had an age limit!
Old 11-06-2002, 03:58 PM

have yah sped or raced before.. so i take it you stoped when you was 23..?
Old 11-06-2002, 11:42 PM

Old 11-07-2002, 03:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WTF?

Originally posted by crazy4maxima

have yah sped or raced before.. so i take it you stoped when you was 23..?
Look, in my younger days I used to street race. Its called maturity. When you are young if someone doesn't smack the **** out of you or you have had a tragedy in your family you may not realize that street racing is dangerous or stupid. Englishtown is open nights. Atco, Long Island Dragway. Test and tune there if you wanna do a 1/4 mile run without having to run from the cops. W/O putting others in danger. I do not condone it espically light to light stuff. What does that prove. I am not going to have unecessary downtime or potential injury just because someone revved me.

On another note, someone said something about 4 banger? As a Maxima owner and a NX2000 owner, I know that a DET powered or a built N/A SE-R can beat a Maxima thats is not running a blower. So that 4 banger comment, you meant Hondas right? See yall at E-Town next year! Be prepared to collect timelips!