General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

what would be a good OEM replacement for pads/rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 04:58 PM

what would be a good OEM replacement for pads/rotors?

i need new pads and rotors and i don't have the extra money laying around for the stillen brakes that i really want. so what would be a good oem replacement that won't brake the bank? and something i can go to a parts store to pick up this weekend...

Trevor
Old 11-06-2002, 05:01 PM

Re: what would be a good OEM replacement for pads/rotors?

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
i need new pads and rotors and i don't have the extra money laying around for the stillen brakes that i really want. so what would be a good oem replacement that won't brake the bank? and something i can go to a parts store to pick up this weekend...

Trevor
Brembo blanks for the rotors (that's what the Stillen slotted and x drilled start out as). You can find them at local auto stores sometimes, just look hard before you throw down the little bit of extra money for shipping after ordering online.

My personal preference for brake pads are the Axxis Metal Master pads. They are not very expensive and are very good quality. The best part is they don't dust very much, so no more cleaning your wheels every other day. Try GR Racing and see if they have the pads.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:26 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Performance Friction Carbon Metallic front pads.

They are great and only $32 at AutoZone.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg

I second that motion!
Old 11-06-2002, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

I second that motion!
What pads are you guys using on the rear?
Old 11-06-2002, 08:24 PM

how long do these last? isn't kinda weird that i have to replace my brakes after less than a year of use? i'll try these next. what about the rears?
Old 11-06-2002, 09:35 PM
STFU n00b!

If it makes you feel better, I went through OE pads about every 6-8 months. I go through wilwood pads about every 3-4 months on my new calipers. fun stuff.

try www.smothers.com for the brembo blanks. they're sold under autospecialty for about $45 each. front rotor part # is JBR-505.
dunno the rears, but you can look it up on there.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
If it makes you feel better, I went through OE pads about every 6-8 months. I go through wilwood pads about every 3-4 months on my new calipers. fun stuff.

try www.smothers.com for the brembo blanks. they're sold under autospecialty for about $45 each. front rotor part # is JBR-505.
dunno the rears, but you can look it up on there.
does it really matter what kind of rotors i use??? 45 bucks....i can get regular ones for like 25 at autozone...and damn 3-4 monthes! someone's a little "hard" on their brakes
Old 11-06-2002, 10:17 PM

does it really matter what kind of rotors i use??? 45 bucks....i can get regular ones for like 25 at autozone...and damn 3-4 monthes! someone's a little "hard" on their brakes
Don't you want to spend a few extra dollars and get something really good? Brembos come equipped on the Track version of the new 350Z too

Matt isn't "hard" on his brakes really, take a look at the setup he is using and you will understand why... the man has Skyline rotors on the front
Old 11-07-2002, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by pezking4

Don't you want to spend a few extra dollars and get something really good? Brembos come equipped on the Track version of the new 350Z too

Matt isn't "hard" on his brakes really, take a look at the setup he is using and you will understand why... the man has Skyline rotors on the front
thats just it with x-mas coming up i DONT HAVE extra money to spend it sucks but i need brakes very badly. im doing this tomorrow morning so can anyone tell me if theres any difference between regular rotors? (NOT crossdrilled...i mean is there a dif between brembo blanks and cheaper blanks.)
Old 11-07-2002, 10:58 PM

thats just it with x-mas coming up i DONT HAVE extra money to spend it sucks but i need brakes very badly. im doing this tomorrow morning so can anyone tell me if theres any difference between regular rotors? (NOT crossdrilled...i mean is there a dif between brembo blanks and cheaper blanks.)
no noticeable difference. The pads are what you will really notice. I put Performance Friction pads on in the beginning of the summer, and they still have plenty of wear left. I have cheap autozone rotors too...and they are fine. Aftermarket rotors are a RIPOFF unless they are part of a big brake kit.

I use stock rear pads...they don't do very much braking, so it really doesn't matter.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

no noticeable difference. The pads are what you will really notice. I put Performance Friction pads on in the beginning of the summer, and they still have plenty of wear left. I have cheap autozone rotors too...and they are fine. Aftermarket rotors are a RIPOFF unless they are part of a big brake kit.

I use stock rear pads...they don't do very much braking, so it really doesn't matter.
thanks! btw, how much did the autozone rotors cost you? aren't they like 20 bucks?
Old 11-08-2002, 06:53 AM

I went to buy these last night and they are all out.. even in thier ware houses.. but i ended up buying Raybestos Quiet Stop,, Which are suppost to be good as well.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ssilva420

I went to buy these last night and they are all out.. even in thier ware houses.. but i ended up buying Raybestos Quiet Stop,, Which are suppost to be good as well.

Installed Raybestos QS pads 2 months ago (1600 miles). Extremely quiet and verrry little dusting. I think you made a good choice!
Old 11-08-2002, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by karguy

Installed Raybestos QS pads 2 months ago (1600 miles). Extremely quiet and verrry little dusting. I think you made a good choice!
When you installed the pads did you buy any type of kit, with new clips and shimies.. all i bought were some autozone universale shimies that were there and this little paket of anti-squeek compound that is suppost to go between the shimies and the piston.. should i be ok.. or do i need to by some type of kit..
Old 11-08-2002, 10:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ssilva420

When you installed the pads did you buy any type of kit, with new clips and shimies.. all i bought were some autozone universale shimies that were there and this little paket of anti-squeek compound that is suppost to go between the shimies and the piston.. should i be ok.. or do i need to by some type of kit..
The Raybestis QS Pads comes with new self adhesive shims, just remove protective cover, adjust shim fingers and install. Grease for caliper pins and pad retaining clips also comes wth pads. You'll need to but some Anti Squeal Compund to put on back of shims, I used CRC. I also bought Synthetic High Temp Brake Grease and threw the grease capsule that comes with pads away (did not know if it was synthetic or not). Pay particular attention to caliper pins for wear, I had to replace all 4 of the front caliper pins, I got all 4 for $23 at Autozone. Rear caliper pins were fine. Make sure to put a coating of Synthetic grease on the caliper pins and that they work freely. Borrow the caliper tool from Autozone to turn rear brake piston CW while pushing it in. I cleaned the calipers real good with brake cleaning spray. After installing pads I flushed and bleed brake system. Do right rear first, left front next, then left rear and finally right front when bleeding brakes. You shouldn't have any problems if you do it this way as I didn't. Hope this helps!