General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: What do you think?
Yes, I would buy
42.86%
No thanks, too ricey
28.57%
No thanks, too expensive
28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

New LED Product

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 10:20 AM

New LED Product

Hey guys. Some of know that I work for an LED manufacturer. I am currently working on a few Maxima-related LED projects for fellow .org members as well as myself:

1. Custom LED array for 5th-gen tails
2. Custom LED array for 5th-gen corners, using more and brighter LEDs than what is currently available
3. White LED cluster for 2K2-2K3 front clearance light

But these projects might take some time to complete. Right now our company has a new product that we are making for one of our customers (emergency lighting manufacturer), and I thought that this might be a perfect part for aftermarket automotive applications:

It is designed to run on 12-16 volts DC. It comes with 6 feet of 18 gauge wires. The rear of the housing is sealed, but the front is susceptible to water leakage (i.e. it is not waterproof, and should not be used in exterior applications unless protected against direct exposure to water). This can be easily fixed with some clear epoxy though . It comes in red, amber(yellow), green, blue, and white. It uses the brightest 5mm LEDs on the market today. The part is designed to operate for more than 100,000 hours, and we warranty it for 3 years from date of purchase.

I just want to get some feedback from you guys. It would be great for lighting in your trunk or footwells or anywhere else you can stick it.
Since we already tooled the part for the other customer, I can't change it mechanically.

If anyone is interested, I can sell it through our company. We accept credit cards as well as check. In order to make it worthwhile, we have to sell at least two per order.

Pricing is as follows:
2 pieces (any color): $100 for both
3 or more: $40 each.

Here are more pictures:

http://www.ddp-leds.com/led_array/

Let me know what you think!
Old 11-08-2002, 11:53 AM
Got Projectors?

That's what I've been looking for forever. I love them, but I don't think I could pay that much for them. I can already get the arrays without the housings cheaper, so I guess I'll just figure out a way to enclose those...

Any chance you could sell just the housings?
Old 11-08-2002, 12:53 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

is there a cheaper rate if i get more? IE 10-20+?
Old 11-08-2002, 01:00 PM

As far as general lighting, why would we use these over neon? Neon is cheaper. I think the tailight/clearance applications you mentioned would be nice, but I suspect the price will not be worth it for me (and many others).
Old 11-08-2002, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by DanNY
is there a cheaper rate if i get more? IE 10-20+?
Our customer buys 125 a month and he pays ~$30 each. I can probably give you the same price for 50 pieces, but not any lower quantity than that.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:08 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
As far as general lighting, why would we use these over neon? Neon is cheaper. I think the tailight/clearance applications you mentioned would be nice, but I suspect the price will not be worth it for me (and many others).
Heck, I want em simply to do a complete LED strobe setup like new cop cars have.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
True, neon is cheaper, but the LEDs are brighter, and they throw light farther than the neon does, although the light is very directional. The LEDs have more of a spotlight effect vs. the neon having more of a glowing affect. Some people like the neon, but LEDs seem to be the rage now. Anyways, I've seen similar neon products selling for ~$30 each for a 10" tube. I think quality and durability of the LED makes up for the difference.

Your feedback is definitely appreciated though... Thanks
Old 11-08-2002, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by MetaOrbit

Heck, I want em simply to do a complete LED strobe setup like new cop cars have.
That's another benefit to LEDs. You can strobe them as fast and as often as you want. It doesn't affect the life unlike neons and incandescent bulbs.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:30 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

also...mcd rating of each color? thanks!
Old 11-08-2002, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by 2K2MAXSE-RIOUS
True, neon is cheaper, but the LEDs are brighter, and they throw light farther than the neon does, although the light is very directional. The LEDs have more of a spotlight effect vs. the neon having more of a glowing affect. Some people like the neon, but LEDs seem to be the rage now. Anyways, I've seen similar neon products selling for ~$30 each for a 10" tube. I think quality and durability of the LED makes up for the difference.

Your feedback is definitely appreciated though... Thanks
Ah, thanks for answering my question! I was worried it would be seen as rhetorical. Now that you put it that way, I could possibly see more of a market for it. Can I switch my vote to a 'maybe'?
Old 11-08-2002, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by DanNY
also...mcd rating of each color? thanks!
MCD Rating Per LED @ 20mA:

Red: 6900 mcd
Amber: 4600 mcd
Green: 10000 mcd
Blue: 3000 mcd
White: 5600 mcd
Old 11-08-2002, 06:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

any chance you could get red LEDs for the spoiler so it appears white til braking?
Old 11-11-2002, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve
any chance you could get red LEDs for the spoiler so it appears white til braking?
The problem with the spoiler is not the LEDs, it's the lens that covers the LEDs that's tinted red. I'm pretty sure the LED used in the spoiler have waterclear encapsulations.
I think I answered your question
Old 11-11-2002, 07:52 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

is there any way to adapt these to some of the regular light housings (ie the 194's beneath the dash/guage cluster)?
Old 11-11-2002, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by slimer
is there any way to adapt these to some of the regular light housings (ie the 194's beneath the dash/guage cluster)?
It can be done, (as has been done), but LEDs are tricky when used to backlight guages. They have a very direct viewing angle, and if the LED isn't pointed directly at the guage cluster and diffused properly, you can get severe hot-spots. You either have to know what you're doing, or be prepared to spend alot of money on trial and error.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:24 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

I kinda like what Y2KSESteve was saying about using the LEDs in the 3rd brake light. I tried to get some feedback about this from another vendor, but they never returned my calls/emails. My question at this point is, how long is the individual cluster? I count 9 LEDs per cluster, is that correct??
Old 11-12-2002, 06:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i think it's a great idea. too bad i don't have a spoiler.
Jae
Old 11-12-2002, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by nubiannupe
I kinda like what Y2KSESteve was saying about using the LEDs in the 3rd brake light. I tried to get some feedback about this from another vendor, but they never returned my calls/emails. My question at this point is, how long is the individual cluster? I count 9 LEDs per cluster, is that correct??
Here's a datasheet:

link
Old 02-11-2003, 01:21 PM

hmm that would be nice for my spoilerled to make it white
Old 02-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: New LED Product

Originally posted by 2K2MAXSE-RIOUS
Hey guys. Some of know that I work for an LED manufacturer. I am currently working on a few Maxima-related LED projects for fellow .org members as well as myself:

1. Custom LED array for 5th-gen tails
2. Custom LED array for 5th-gen corners, using more and brighter LEDs than what is currently available
3. White LED cluster for 2K2-2K3 front clearance light

But these projects might take some time to complete. Right now our company has a new product that we are making for one of our customers (emergency lighting manufacturer), and I thought that this might be a perfect part for aftermarket automotive applications:
I would be VERY curious about the Corners and clearance lights. I have a 2K1...so the rear is not going to do me any good.

I would be more interested in light output for the corners.

Any idea on the actual delivery of such items or is it more of a "we will wait and see" kinda thing? As I see the last two items to be marketable on a more global/universal scale since the lamp base would be a standard base.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:56 PM

i would purchase a set without a doubt!