General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

wo0T!! in-car computer installed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 10:11 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

wo0T!! in-car computer installed!

yaaaaay

it's been forever, but finally, i spent friday night and tonite working on the car. The project name is MAX-iCE (Maxima In-Car Entertainment). Basically... as of now, i have ability to play mp3s and movies. Later, I'm gonna get those USB GPS system for 80 bucks.

I just tested it..... so far everything seems to be working. I wired a switch up to the front of the car so i can turn and off the computer. The actual PC is in the trunk... i tried to build a custom case for it and fit it underneath the seat but... yeah right no space under there and i think puttin it in the trunk is the cleanest way.

I did run into a prob tho... the cable I'm using for the video seems to be ****ty as hell and isn't showing anythin on the screen but a bunch of blur. I tested it w/ another shorter cable and it worked.

What's my cheapest option for a video cable? I'm thinkin of hack-wiring my own video cable and hope that works... or should i not even try it? damn 15 ft isn't workin as well as i hoped (wired it from trunk, through door sills/carpet, to the front).

Oh well, some of you guys might have already seen my pics of the LCD.. but here's my best pic. I have re-mounted it so it looks better, the pic i took was last week when i was testing it out. I will post more pictures of the completed project. wish me luck!

-nadir

Old 11-09-2002, 10:38 PM
Ramius83

I have always wanted to do this, but never had the ***** because of how much tuning/setup is involved. Good job guy. Looks great...

Old 11-09-2002, 10:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

thats cool man... wheres the keyboard and mouse?
Old 11-09-2002, 11:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Search online - there's a company that makes S-Video and FiberOptic cables for pennies that work great.

I just can't remember the name right now - If I remember, I'll let you know.

IanS
Old 11-10-2002, 12:47 AM
Ludicrous Speed

That's pretty awesome. I remember someone had once also put their PC in the trunk. It was a Maxima i saw on cardomain, possibly a member here as well.

What kind of video cable are you using? This is why i have my laptop wired to my car for power and everything else wired to the HU and in-dash monitor. I just slide the laptop under the seat and i have approx 4 hours (double battery) before i need to turn the car on for recharging.

I have a 7" 16:9 screen up front, but thought it would be pretty "pimp" if i could put the laptop for the bakc seat passengers as a 15" monitor, which brings me to my question: Was that a custom bracket/mount you used for your LCD screen? I was trying to figure out how i could possibly make a good set-up for the laptop screen at the back.

Good job with the PC..I wouldn't have had that kind of patience needed to wire everything.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:39 AM

I don't know if I should order a V1 or the 7" screen. If I get the screen I can start off on my computer system that I have built already. But I have the 6 foot wireless mouse and keyboard all ready to go and a Radeon Video card with S-Video out.
Old 11-10-2002, 02:50 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Originally posted by HTownMaxSE
I don't know if I should order a V1 or the 7" screen. If I get the screen I can start off on my computer system that I have built already. But I have the 6 foot wireless mouse and keyboard all ready to go and a Radeon Video card with S-Video out.
Get one of those 7" Microvision screens that are being sold in the classifieds section. I think they're $240 shipped or something like that. Then that way you'll be looking at the screen a lot and therefore going slower because of the distraction, hence no speeding.
Old 11-10-2002, 05:24 AM

What kind of cable are you using for the video? If I remember corectly, the maximum cable length you can have coming from your video output on your video card is 11 Ft. If you have RCA outputs on your video card, I would use those instead. If not, I bet you could get a video card with RCA outs for cheap as long as you didn't try to get a top of the line card or bought something used.
Old 11-10-2002, 05:34 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by iansw
Search online - there's a company that makes S-Video and FiberOptic cables for pennies that work great.

I just can't remember the name right now - If I remember, I'll let you know.

IanS
dang if you can remember, that'd be really cool!

spiff: the mouse and keyboard are in the trunk temporarily now.... i'm using a wireless winamp/media player remote made by creative labs. I bought it for 7 bucks too lol so it's pretty pimp, i'll post pics of it... it's sittin on top of the rear backseats... i love the color tho, everything that's "blacK" seems to match inside =)

max002: I just ended up buying an LCD online for 50 bucks brand new... at least something i can see. It's not TFT so it's pretty ****ty. If you look at the base of the LCD you'll see it's white... lol i used one of those Playstation1 LCDs. it would have been better w/ the real Sony screen tho, this is made by Intec. As for the mounting... I just used a flex arm that my full nokia in-car phone system came w/. The cheapest i saw them are on crutchfield, 15" of flexible rod for 20 bucks.

freedog: The computer I got from work (for free) has one of those mobos that have everything built into it.... including an RCA output and a S-video output. I figured the cable i was using was too bad of quality... lol it was some ****ty audio cable that was lying around in the house. too bad it didn't work.
Old 11-10-2002, 08:37 AM

Nice project..me and my buddy undertook one for his Altima. We made a custom case that was small enough to fit in the side of hte trunk right behind the tailight, so the carpetting would go over it and it would be hidden. However it is a little to thick, but I'm sure we can put a board over the entire side of hte trunk and put carpetting over it so it looks flush.

We are currently haveing problems running cables to the front and mounting the LCD in the dash.

Could you give me exact details on how you mounted the LCD? Thanks.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:57 AM

looks nice bro
Old 11-10-2002, 10:42 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by mAdD MAX
Nice project..me and my buddy undertook one for his Altima. We made a custom case that was small enough to fit in the side of hte trunk right behind the tailight, so the carpetting would go over it and it would be hidden. However it is a little to thick, but I'm sure we can put a board over the entire side of hte trunk and put carpetting over it so it looks flush.

We are currently haveing problems running cables to the front and mounting the LCD in the dash.

Old 11-10-2002, 10:48 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

I used the flex arm.. mounted one end to the side of the dash area then on the other end, I used a thick peice of cardboard as a bottom base for the LCD... at the bottom of the LCD, it has 4 screw holes so i just kind aused those and it holds it in perfectly. Oh yeah the cardboard is mounted onto the flex arm by this nut it comes w/... u just gotta make a hole about the diameter of the flex arm then slide it in..... then just use the nut on top of it to hold it down. Check out the crutchfield website:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MSbHZYL...=&search=mount

what kind of cables are you using? Are they RCA or S-video?
Old 11-10-2002, 11:03 AM

RCA...we haven't tested the cables from that distance yet so we don't know how it will turn out.

This is supposed to be an economical project, with the lCD being the most expensive component. The computer is a P-200MMX with 64MB ram, an 8GB drive, etc... Pretty much old parts we could find around the house.

It's still a work in progresson the total install.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

looks good. congrats. i did this two years ago in my max and while i was tempted to use a flex arms style lcd holder i decided to go in dash instead.

it gives it a much cleaner, stealth look. you will have to ditch your bose though (is that a bad thing?!).

here are some pictures if you want to see how it came out - also includes detailed pictures of the install and what components i used to run everything. it was fun for a while - but it was more to shut up everyone who said "no you can't do that". in fact... i ended up writing my own software to play the mp3's and programmed my own custom display which was sooooo hot... here's three pics of the software in action:

http://bubblemax.homestead.com/files/tvupclose1.jpg

http://bubblemax.homestead.com/files/tvupclose2.jpg

http://bubblemax.homestead.com/files/tvdash3.jpg

also here are the pages that detail the install.

http://bubblemax.homestead.com/files/tvdash.html

http://bubblemax.homestead.com/files/maxtv.htm

http://bubblemax.homestead.com/files/maxp3.htm

for anyone who doesn't know i no longer have the setup. while it was cool for a while computers really aren't meant to be in cars and between a full time job and full time school i just didn't have the time to maintain the whole system. music is much more fun when it plays

anyway... congrats on getting it to work - believe me i know what a feat it is!!
Old 11-10-2002, 03:30 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

RCA...we haven't tested the cables from that distance yet so we don't know how it will turn out.

This is supposed to be an economical project, with the lCD being the most expensive component. The computer is a P-200MMX with 64MB ram, an 8GB drive, etc... Pretty much old parts we could find around the house.

It's still a work in progresson the total install.
i have the same system you are runnin... p-200MMX except i have 32 megs of ram at this point lol. Since it's EDO memory, its harder to find for a good price. I'm going to upgrade it to 128 as soon as my uncle gets back from his trip and brings em for me.

ckny- wow, nice project. I'd love to go for in-dash but i can't afford it. I just tested it out and it works! i know what u mean when it comes to maintenance... i go to school and work but both are quite a while of drive so i guess it' entertain me for now. I'm planning to go GPS w/ it eventually but as of now, it'll be my mp3 player for a while, and on long trips WITH OTHER PPL IN MY CAR, ill use dvd too. anywho ill get pics of my own up.
Old 11-10-2002, 06:46 PM

Nice project

The way to go for the computer would be the Mini computers that have come out lately http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/...tle_sv24.shtml
-hype
Old 11-10-2002, 07:21 PM

QPC
Old 11-10-2002, 07:25 PM

How did you get the sound from the computer going to the car speakers? We are thinking of using the tape-adaptor...I know you lose quality..but its teh easiest way on the stock Nissan stereo.

Buying another deck is out of hte question since this is supposed to be a budget project.
Old 11-10-2002, 08:18 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

How did you get the sound from the computer going to the car speakers? We are thinking of using the tape-adaptor...I know you lose quality..but its teh easiest way on the stock Nissan stereo.

Buying another deck is out of hte question since this is supposed to be a budget project.
I bought a Sony tape adapter... trust me i looked into every possible way to input the speakers... using the Bose system harness to FM/RF modulators... it's the only feasible option for someone who's tight on budget. great thing about it is.... YOU WON'T NOTICE A DIFFERENCE! I swear to god, i thought it was pretty damn good and the quality was excellent. Just try it yourself... you'll know what im talkin about I heard the tape decks (at least the bose) that our cars come w/ are pretty damn good.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by CKNY

for anyone who doesn't know i no longer have the setup. while it was cool for a while computers really aren't meant to be in cars and between a full time job and full time school i just didn't have the time to maintain the whole system. music is much more fun when it plays

anyway... congrats on getting it to work - believe me i know what a feat it is!!

agreed, i looked into one of these systems. Its just not practical, worriying with about booting right, running programs, and maintaining something that should really be done for an audio system. I just got the new apline cda-7894 mp3 player. Excellent unit and it does what i was hoping to acomplish with a computer.

None the less good effort nadir, the system seems to blend pretty well except for that white part. do u got a pic of how it the comp sits int he trunk?
Old 11-11-2002, 02:19 AM

i installed a laptop about a year ago and did the tape deck thing to play mp3's, looking for a obd2 to hook up to the cars ecu though and the program