General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Exhaust System Woes (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 11:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Exhaust System Woes (LONG)

After replacing my rear 02 sensor, my SES came back on after reseting it. This time I had a blown o2 sensor 15 amp fuse. Replaced it and everything seemed fine. So I thought.

After about 200 miles or so, the SES came back on. I had the dealer check it out today. They did it for free so I am lucky as far as that goes. I am getting code 420(Catalyst system efficiency below threshold [bank 1]) and also still the 325(knock sensor). The dealer said all my 02 sensors are getting basically the same readings. The problem is that my rear sensor after/near my cat should not be the same reading as the front ones. The ECU sees that this is happening and the readings fall outside some "window" of values. This code 420 is basically suppose to monitor that the cat is doing its job I guess. I have a fairly new RT cat that was put on this past april or so. I have a 97 SE 5speed FedSpec model(non cali). The dealer recommends I put back my stock cat. I threw that rusted junker cat away. I do have a SS race pipe on the way from custom maxima, but I doubt that is going to help my problem.
Does no one else with my similar exhaust system(Cattman SS Ypipe, RT cat, Greddy SS catback) get this problem?

I did find a thread in which a 5th gen got the same code, but the car wasn't as modded as mine and seemed to be a problem for 5th gens only. I am a wits end now and starting to get really iritated with this. I WISH I had my parents digital camera today to take picutres of my whole exhaust system. It just does not look like it fits well at all. The dealer showed me how the cat was not properly mounted and my stock cat brackets were broken. I ~guess~ that is another problem though.

So one possibility is that during my 02 sensor problem since April has ruined my cat by over heating, etc I guesss I may find out when I put the race pipe in. I will look for the white powder I believe.

How many ppl here do not have a cat and do not get any cat codes?
Even if my cat stopped doing its job, it should still work similar to a straight pipe? I just do not know. It gives the same readings in the front and the back.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:58 PM
ivelweyz

Re: Exhaust System Woes (LONG)

Originally posted by Prodeje79
After replacing my rear 02 sensor, my SES came back on after reseting it. This time I had a blown o2 sensor 15 amp fuse. Replaced it and everything seemed fine. So I thought.

After about 200 miles or so, the SES came back on. I had the dealer check it out today. They did it for free so I am lucky as far as that goes. I am getting code 420(Catalyst system efficiency below threshold [bank 1]) and also still the 325(knock sensor). The dealer said all my 02 sensors are getting basically the same readings. The problem is that my rear sensor after/near my cat should not be the same reading as the front ones. The ECU sees that this is happening and the readings fall outside some "window" of values. This code 420 is basically suppose to monitor that the cat is doing its job I guess. I have a fairly new RT cat that was put on this past april or so. I have a 97 SE 5speed FedSpec model(non cali). The dealer recommends I put back my stock cat. I threw that rusted junker cat away. I do have a SS race pipe on the way from custom maxima, but I doubt that is going to help my problem.
Does no one else with my similar exhaust system(Cattman SS Ypipe, RT cat, Greddy SS catback) get this problem?

I did find a thread in which a 5th gen got the same code, but the car wasn't as modded as mine and seemed to be a problem for 5th gens only. I am a wits end now and starting to get really iritated with this. I WISH I had my parents digital camera today to take picutres of my whole exhaust system. It just does not look like it fits well at all. The dealer showed me how the cat was not properly mounted and my stock cat brackets were broken. I ~guess~ that is another problem though.

So one possibility is that during my 02 sensor problem since April has ruined my cat by over heating, etc I guesss I may find out when I put the race pipe in. I will look for the white powder I believe.

How many ppl here do not have a cat and do not get any cat codes?
Even if my cat stopped doing its job, it should still work similar to a straight pipe? I just do not know. It gives the same readings in the front and the back.
From reading the boards I would say get rid of the RT cat right away before it gets even worse, as about anything else???