General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I think I'm just gonna "cheat"....and get some...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2000, 08:59 PM
My 4DSC

NITROUS!!!!!!!!!!

Yea...you heard me...the "N" word!!

I'm just so damn broke lately that the boost factor keeps becoming further and further out of reach.

So I think I'll just get some boost in a bottle.

A friend of mine is selling a NOS kit for $250 so i might just have to take it off his hands.

I think a 120 SHOT should suffice.

Considering a friend of mine got 12.80's with a 120 SHOT on his 1996 Maxima...I think i should get at least the same if not slightly quicker times on the squirt.

JUST IMAGINE...12.80's or quicker w/ under $300 in mods!

PS: I dont wanna hear that "bottles are for babies" B.S.
Constructive Criticism if anything, please.

Old 12-29-2000, 09:04 PM

hah

bottles are for babies!!!
Old 12-29-2000, 09:08 PM
My 4DSC

GRRRrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

hehe

Old 12-29-2000, 09:09 PM
Southpaw17

a max can handle 120 shot i thought u can only go up to 50.

DEBO

Old 12-29-2000, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Southpaw17
a max can handle 120 shot i thought u can only go up to 50.

DEBO
80 should be no problem.
Old 12-29-2000, 09:13 PM
Southpaw17

yea but 120 thats alot of juice, hey if u can do it more power to you.

DEBO

Old 12-29-2000, 09:14 PM

hey i was thinking the same thing today!!
i was in the GS400 today and a Mustang(new bodystyle, not sure GT or Cobra) wanted to play, I floored it at 75 and I slowly pulled away from him. Imagine I had NOS, I just have to hit the bottle and I will blow his door offs instead of slowly walking him, much more fun that way!

Old 12-29-2000, 09:21 PM
Southpaw17

hey woodear can u put a s/c on the gs, or what about the beemer what can u do to that?

DEBO

Old 12-29-2000, 09:24 PM
My 4DSC

It'll handle a 120 SHOT....

as long as your not doing it at every stoplight...
and as long as its set up properly and tuned well..
(ie: proper fuel)
my friend's car ran great...until he forgot to put his fuel pump fuse back in...he made a few passes and finally his motor blew cuz it was so lean...luckily Nissan warrantied the new $5,000 motor for him (cuz he took off the NOS kit).

Old 12-29-2000, 09:41 PM

hey woodear can u put a s/c on the gs, or what about the beemer what can u do to that?

DEBO
On GS, SC is $10k, NOS is $700, you do the math
On BMW, they have Dinan SC for $7k, and Mechtech turbo for $5k, I am not doing either.
Old 12-29-2000, 09:43 PM
Southpaw17

dam thats alot of wood, but u would fly though.

DEBO

Old 12-29-2000, 09:45 PM

Woodear does that mean your considering the AA turbo ? hehe =P
Old 12-29-2000, 10:25 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

hey

dont take this the wrong way, but you make it seem like all you gotta do is slap on the kit and do 120 shot and 12's will be in reach. THere's alot of tuning issues,(fuel system) clutch holding up, parts breaking, and traction issues youll have to deal with before breaking 12's. Honestly i do feel by that time your motor is blown or almost blown. Its ok to disagree with me im simply stating my opinion, but good luck and it'll be tite if you do get mid 12's or better.
Old 12-29-2000, 10:48 PM
My 4DSC

I will disagree with you....

only because you must have failed to read my last post where i discussed proper setup & tuning. As far as that goes I have a close friend who is a very capable tuner and has access to a dyno and various tuning equipment. As far as parts breaking...i dont think that will be much of an issue...and with regards to the clutch...I am having ClutchMasters make me a custom unit ($300-400)...but the clutch will "suffice" until then for street use (C.M. is coming in the very near future). Traction will not be an issue at all because i will borrow my friends slicks for the track...and I am a very skilled driver (over 300 passes and 5 years experience driving hi-powered FWD imports...mostly Honda's). BTW: the NOS kit i am buying for $250 includes everything I need including fuel upgrades. It is actually quite simple to get 12's out of a 5-speed Max...all it takes is a properly tuned nitrous kit, exhaust, and slicks.
Beleive I'm naive if you like.

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
hey

dont take this the wrong way, but you make it seem like all you gotta do is slap on the kit and do 120 shot and 12's will be in reach. THere's alot of tuning issues,(fuel system) clutch holding up, parts breaking, and traction issues youll have to deal with before breaking 12's. Honestly i do feel by that time your motor is blown or almost blown. Its ok to disagree with me im simply stating my opinion, but good luck and it'll be tite if you do get mid 12's or better.

Old 12-29-2000, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by My 4DSC
NITROUS!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just so damn broke lately that the boost factor keeps becoming further and further out of reach.

A friend of mine is selling a NOS kit for $250 so i might just have to take it off his hands.

Considering a friend of mine got 12.80's with a 120 SHOT on his 1996 Maxima...I think i should get at least the same if not slightly quicker times on the squirt.

Man a 120 shot wow! Is that going to be a dry, wet or direct port kit? I'm pretty sure I'm going to put my se-r on the bottle. 65 shot + bolt ons + slicks = low 14's and the look of the ITR guys faces when I pass them on the straights at the track hehe .
Old 12-30-2000, 12:03 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

yep i didnt read your last post. I was trying to say that its not juss slapping on 120 shot and you'll see 12 sec timeslips. From reading your first post i thought thats wut you meant and didnt want to see you dissapointed because you were expecting 12's.Yes i agree with you that its easy to get into 12's with good NOS setup, i got a friend with 100shot with a B16A powered Civic low 13's on street tires, and i dont think your naive. later
Old 12-30-2000, 12:14 AM

DEBO
i know people with turbo on M roadster ran 12.7. but heck a viper beats that stock, so i am never fond of the idea of spending a significant amount of money to gain speed, that's why i never had a SC on my old max. with nos you achive the same speed much much cheaper. now if you want reliable speed day in and out, then might well just get a faster car from the factory to begin with.
just the way i see it
Old 12-30-2000, 12:19 AM
Southpaw17

hey speaking of speed the viper is a good way to start my boss has a red viper bought for 50k used with like 3000 miles on it we were doing 140 like nothing man it was great. but i do understand why u wouldnt put on the s/c in my eyes its not worth i can put the 4k down on a new vette.

DEBO

Old 12-30-2000, 12:28 AM

yeah viper is pretty cool.
to be perfectly honest, if i can have 1 car now, a realastic choice, i would LOVE to have a 911TT. i mean, it can be a reliable daily driver, with all the comfort and luxuxry features, while still hanging with a viper.
people call it the most balanced sports car, and i can believe it.
Old 12-30-2000, 12:35 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

chris..but you neglect to add in INSURANCE. a honda civic is cheaper to insure (4cyl) compared to a viper. if you can have that civic as fast as the viper and the ins non the wiser then i think you'll be ok. but w/ a viper you'll have to worry about it all the time, police magnet, people wanting to run in cheezy cars..etc etc..you get the point.

Originally posted by WoodEar

DEBO
i know people with turbo on M roadster ran 12.7. but heck a viper beats that stock, so i am never fond of the idea of spending a significant amount of money to gain speed, that's why i never had a SC on my old max. with nos you achive the same speed much much cheaper. now if you want reliable speed day in and out, then might well just get a faster car from the factory to begin with.
just the way i see it
Old 12-30-2000, 07:58 AM

Bottles are for babies? wahh wahh wahh :o) But

actually I like the NOS, you would have to upgrade the Fuel pump. also check if the injectors will not lean you out. I would start small. then work up, but Hey it's your engine, and you can cry if you want to, you would cry to if it happened to you.....(lol) So how soon you looking at getting your setup?
Old 12-30-2000, 09:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You go boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If its dry I believe you will have to change the injectors.

If if its a wet direct port kit your in like flyn!

I have been putzin around with the dry set up for a while. The injectors on the 4g max are 239cc, 5g maybe bigger?. They will lock up at 90psi of fuel pressure. By adjusting the jet in the "TEE" fitting that attaches to the vacume port on the FPR I have gotten up to 87.5psi FP. I have my dry set up jetted with a 0.042 NOS jet, ~80hp. It dosent hit too hard and the plugs look good. My EGT's on the NOS run ~790c, of the bottle their ~780c. The ground strap on the plug is a nice shade of blue, no green yet. SO... I am going to try the 0.047 NOS jet soon, ~100hp. I have to put my bottle heater on, its cold out! I think 100hp is the safe streetable limit. 120 would probably hold up for a few passes but I think it would wear the motor too much. But please prove me wrong! I want more power!

The new NOS LS1 kit sprays through the MAF sensor. That causes the injectors to be forced to 100% duty cycle. It is working great for the LS1 guys. I dont suggets you try in on a Maxima though. But... you could use it to get the injectors to open a bit more. I think, unverified, that the normal duty cycle on a lightly modified Maxima is ~80%. So if you spray through the MAF you get a lot more injector opening and the POTENTIAL to reach 120+hp level.

The motor will take it, no doubt! If its tuned right.

If you figure out a way to pull out a few degrees of timing PLEASE let me know.

Drop me an e-mail I have some more info you may find usefull.

Old 01-03-2001, 09:51 AM

NOS on auto?

Is NOS ok for an auto?
Old 01-03-2001, 10:50 AM

you had better do a direct port, puddling is rather nasty with a wet kit
if you are going dry
im going to laugh my *** off

this friend you are speaking of. wouldn't happened to be named Jaime would he?
Old 01-03-2001, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by My 4DSC
NITROUS!!!!!!!!!!

Goodluck with that. I am looking forward to installing my 70-shot NOS Kit when warmer weather comes around. I bought mine new, not because I'm a snob, but because I heard too many stories out at the track from folks who bought 2nd hand kits... and promptly blew up their engines. Most of those 2nd hand kits had defective solenoids that stuck OPEN or jets that were too big... ka-BOOM! Even a great friend with an incorrectly diagnosed blown engine may unknowingly sell you a defective kit. Would you have better peace-of-mind buying a new kit from the manufacturer? Like I said, goodluck, and let us know how it turns out. Later.
Old 01-03-2001, 06:05 PM
My 4DSC

Originally posted by Bryan H
you had better do a direct port, puddling is rather nasty with a wet kit
if you are going dry
im going to laugh my *** off

this friend you are speaking of. wouldn't happened to be named Jaime would he?
yep...Jamie is the one who ran 12's in his Max...but he's not the one selling me the nitrous kit.
i am going direct port.

Old 01-03-2001, 07:20 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

If you run slicks, it's gonna be pop goes the differential. The Maxima 5 speed tranny can't take much of a serious launch, especially on slicks.

Dave
Old 01-03-2001, 07:35 PM
My 4DSC

Originally posted by Dave B
If you run slicks, it's gonna be pop goes the differential. The Maxima 5 speed tranny can't take much of a serious launch, especially on slicks.

Dave
No offense...but do you know from experience?
I dont think a 14 sec Maxima can even make a serious launch.
Have you ever used slicks on your Maxima?
If so, what psi? what launch rpm? what 60'? and how quickly did you blow your differential?
Or did you just hear this from someone?

Old 01-03-2001, 08:21 PM

see, you attacked dave b. my bud. now.... im gonna smack you

he is right about the diff. it WILL evetually go out
be it in a 2k max or my old 92 se

jaime and i used to go back and forth on the old maxima.org style of bbs. back in the olden days
aaaaaaahhhhhh
the memories

when i ran my max all i EVER used to get the times i did was street tires
i wanna see you pull a 1.9 60ft on street tires. NOT drag radials either

just a measly 50 shot my old max went 13.8@101. nothing impressive by no means. but the 1.9 60ft helped
then it went 14.3 on motor alone with a 2.0 60ft. on street tires

saying the 14 sec max can't launch hard enough
right to a certain extent. then again. i know better

happy trails
Old 01-04-2001, 06:19 PM

NOS

Yeah if you looking for that quick boost .. then Hells yeah.. its cheap and kicks ***!
Old 01-04-2001, 07:10 PM
My 4DSC

Originally posted by Bryan H
see, you attacked dave b. my bud. now.... im gonna smack you

he is right about the diff. it WILL evetually go out
be it in a 2k max or my old 92 se

OK...
#1) I couldn't tell if that whole "i'm gonna smack you" thing was sarcasm or not...so i'll let it go (but you would never smack me BTW).
#2) I am still waiting to here something first hand about this problem w/ the diff.
ANYONE wanna give some useful info?

PS: I beleive the first two words of my reply which you took offense to were "NO OFFENSE"...but if you took offense and want to smack me...I invite you to.

Old 01-04-2001, 07:21 PM

I thought we were all pals here.....