General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need suspension/tire help before road trip (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 10:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need suspension/tire help before road trip (long)

I just drove to Phoenix from Seattle this week for turkey day.

During the drive, I noticed that at first I could hear a light whirring sound from my front driver's side tire. Also, the steering shook lightly (then later got worse) from 60-80 mph

By Southern California - this was a REALLY loud sound, and the shaking was getting bad. I found a Pep Boys, and they put it on a lift. One of my tires had a bubble, and was getting bald on the inside. They were closing, and didn't carry my brand, so I decided to drive carefully to Phoenix.

Made it to Phoenix, and this morning, bought 4 new Parada Spec 2's from Discount Tire, had them balanced and installed - I planned on doing it next month anyway - so i did all 4.

Now, the whirring sound is gone, and the shaking is better, but it's still there. A friend of mine a week ago noticed my rear tire on the passenger side was wobbling - I tightened my lugs, and he said it was better. I checked the lugs today, and they're tight - one thing to note is I have 1 snapped bolt on that tire. But I know others who have it like that, and have no issues, so I don't think that's the problem.

Now, I know I need an alignment, and my camber is off. I tried buying some camber bolts from Alex at SW Autoworks, but it turns out stupid Eibach packaged the wrong bolts in the box with the right part number.

Also, I have a bad CV Joint on the pasenger side. When turning and acellerating, I hear the famous "click-click-click" - it's getting pretty loud.

Since tomorrow is Turkey Day, I can't get it repaired. I MUST leave for Seattle very early on Friday to make it back to work in Seattle on Monday.

Questions:
1) I will not be able to fix my camber until I get to Seattle. Will my new tires be all f'ed up by then (1500 freeway miles)?

2) Can camber/alignment cause the shaking? Howabout the CV Joint? what else?

3) Can the CV Joint cause major damage or unsafe conditions? (I will replace this too when I get back to Seattle)

Thanks! (sorry it's so long)

Oh Yeah - and to top off my week, I snapped my antenna off at the car wash today - I noticed it a half second before it happened and tried to turn my stereo off - too late.

IanS
Old 11-28-2002, 01:25 AM
† ErV †

Re: Need suspension/tire help before road trip (long)

bad allignment might cause some vibration.. a unadjusted camber will likely pull you to either side (so will misallignment).

unless you feel it pulling, 1500 should not do too much damage to the tires.

when you have the chance, check your bushings. these can defenitely cause cracking/vibration. i have to change all of mines as my front end feels like it wants to pull away... and my rear is about to shake apart.

have a safe trip

Old 11-28-2002, 08:42 AM

Thanks,

Anyone else have any insight?
Old 11-28-2002, 06:29 PM

We changed the rear tire to the front, and now the shaking is in the front.

I inspected the rim fully, and found no bends. I also used a washer to fix the hole problem in the rim, and tighten it fully.

As for the camber, anyone else have any suggesstions or advice?

IanS
Old 11-30-2002, 11:26 PM

Update:

Just made it back from Phoenix - tire wear looks minimal with the camber off.

But I did notice some things about the vibration:
It's worst between 80-90mph
When cruising at 80mph, it's barely noticable, but if I push the accellerator, even a little, (at any speed) it gets worse.

So this doesn't seem to necessarily be a tire problem.

Anyone know what causes shaking mostly only when accellerating?

IanS