General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need your help really bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 09:51 AM

Need your help really bad

I tried to install the Hyperground system in my car this morning. Followed the instructions. When I finished, I tried to start the car and it would not. It turns over, but sounds like a car that's jumped timing (I know that's not it, but it sounds like that when it turns over).

I thought maybe one of the ground wires had arched on top of a coil pack, so I changed out the coil pack and still does the same. I've checked the fuses, both under the hood/under the dash.

Can someone please advise...I'm dead in the water.

I've taken everything completely back out and left it stock, and still does the exact same thing.

Please help.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:01 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

i know some people have had problems with their starters on older maxes. maybe that is related somehow. did you disconnect the ecu for any reason? maybe its a coincidence that something in your ignition system decided to take a crap at the same time you installed the wires. not real sure man.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:21 PM

Be sure to check and make sure all the ground points that were originally grounded still are.
Old 11-29-2002, 02:39 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Do not remove any OEM ground wires. You should place the hyper ground on top of them.
Old 11-30-2002, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Do not remove any OEM ground wires. You should place the hyper ground on top of them.
I only removed them temporarily, while installing the hyperground ones. I did come back and install the main ones on top of the OEM point near the block. I put the others at other points in the car. I put one on the fender well, right next to the OEM one (behind/below the battery tray), I put another right below the strut tower, another one on top of the intake using a bolt from a bracket, finally went around the A/C lines and tagged a bolt behind the pass side headlight.

Would any of this have caused the car to take a dump? I have checked everything and the reason the car is not starting is NO SPARK. I have checked everything but the crank sensor(s) and the ecu. According to the Haynes manual, both could be the cause of the problem. I have tried pulling codes, resetting the ecu, charging the batt, changing the plugs, etc. Still nothing.

Any other suggestions??????
Old 11-30-2002, 06:34 AM

Just checked both crank sensors and according to specs are just fine. I checked the harness to the rear sensor, it's fine too. There is a condenser on the wire harness that Haynes mentions should have high resistance (over 1 ohm), problem is that I don't know if I'm checking it correctly or have the correct setting on the multi-tester. Can someone refresh my mind please? Resistance settings are 20k 200k 20M, etc....What should it be set on, since it always reads 1 until the probes are put into something, but I don't know if it's me doing it wrong or wrong setting and not getting a reading.

If it's not that...what else could it be? How can I check for an open circuit? The manual mentions that.
Old 11-30-2002, 09:34 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Old 12-01-2002, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by nismo2020
???

Ok, I checked the condenser and it's ok. I also disconnected my alarm thinking it may be fried and be triggering so it doesn't start, but that's not it either. I did the same by checking the factory one, nothing.

I got me another ecu, thinking that since everything in the Haynes manual eventually leads back to that....no dice, it still does the same thing.

I checked the coils as specified in the manual, that turned out kinda funky because I got different readings from each coil. I'm going to re-try that part today with all 6.

I even re-initialized my AFC thinking it may be fried and had messed something up since it's connected to the ecu...that wasn't it either.

I'm at a loss here. Totally dumbfounded. I even had another member, SMX, come by to try and help, and even he is at a loss. I totally appreciate his and Jay25's help in trying to help me diagnose/cure the problem.

Does anyone know if there is some kind of circuit breaker/fuse/anything that may be causing this? It sure does act like it's something simple that I'm just overlooking. It simply does not get any spark. I have checked every single fuse in the entire car not once but ten times. Even SMX checked them all himself. All fuses are good/working. I'm thinking there is a relay/breaker/fuse somewhere I'm not checking. Please advise. This is my last hope before having the car towed to the dealer.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:33 PM
Ramius83

Have you checked to see if you are getting any spark to the plugs? If you are getting a spark, then I am 75% sure it has to be a fuel problem or something on that scale. If you aren't getting a spark at all, then check EVERY ground point again. If you cannot find what is going on there, do you have an actual car battery charger that plugs up into your AC outlet? If you do, you can tap every ground to that ground and connect the power wire to your battery and see what happens. Sorry Jaime, I do not know what exactly is going on here.....

Old 12-01-2002, 04:53 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Check engine control 1 and control 2 fuses. Check the ground wires by the upper intake manifold. There are two ring terminals. Those are the ones the coil wires are grounded to. Here's a picture.

http://photos.imageevent.com/1max2nv...e/DCP01342.JPG

Each coil harness has three wires. Are you getting power on the red wire? It should be +12v. Check the continuity of the ground wire (black)? Then at last check for signal wire from the ECU. Bottom line if you are not getting sparks..only three things could be wrong. 1. You ECU is fried (no signal). 2. Coils are bad. 3. You have bad ground for the coils or bad power supply for the coils.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:02 PM

Tony's right, you must check ALL fuses, inside the car and under the hood, sounds like thats your problem. Unless you forgot to re-ground something after you took it off

Ant
Old 12-01-2002, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by ny96max
Tony's right, you must check ALL fuses, inside the car and under the hood, sounds like thats your problem. Unless you forgot to re-ground something after you took it off

Ant
check camshaft sensor, I had a problem where my car wouldn't start, nothing whatsoever, changed the sensor fixed it.

Also, there is a main fuse down the middle of the engine fuse box (not relay boxes) it is brown in color and attached to a screw, make sure it is working.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Check engine control 1 and control 2 fuses. Check the ground wires by the upper intake manifold. There are two ring terminals. Those are the ones the coil wires are grounded to. Here's a picture.

http://photos.imageevent.com/1max2nv...e/DCP01342.JPG

Each coil harness has three wires. Are you getting power on the red wire? It should be +12v. Check the continuity of the ground wire (black)? Then at last check for signal wire from the ECU. Bottom line if you are not getting sparks..only three things could be wrong. 1. You ECU is fried (no signal). 2. Coils are bad. 3. You have bad ground for the coils or bad power supply for the coils.
I checked that out too. I am getting voltage from the batt on the harness. Haven't checked continuity though. I will also look at the ground for the harness, but I didn't touch that at all before. I know the ECU is not bad, because I swapped it out with another one and it did the exact same thing. How could all 6 coils go bad at once...with the car just sitting? It ran perfect the night before, came out the next morning and it's dead. I think it's some kind of trigger that's not letting the coils fire.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by brodaiga

check camshaft sensor, I had a problem where my car wouldn't start, nothing whatsoever, changed the sensor fixed it.

Also, there is a main fuse down the middle of the engine fuse box (not relay boxes) it is brown in color and attached to a screw, make sure it is working.
You lost me on the attached to a screw. I remember a plastic clear type relay in the middle of the engine fuse box (marked batt), but it's not attached to a screw. Is that the one? Do you know of another.