General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

whats with all the dumb drivers in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 09:52 AM

whats with all the dumb drivers in snow?

well, im driving home from school, obviously in miserable conditions, and it seemed like every other mile there was a backup because some idiot slammed into a guard rail or somethin....im going about 20-30 mph and other people are just flying by me....what idiots...about a mile or 2 down the road, i see them smashed up against one another, bumpers on the other side of the highway......SLOW THE $%^& DOWN....this is coming from me, who has a tendency to go a "little" fast once in a while...on the 30 minute ride home, i saaw 9 accidents....9!!! on this highway i usually go reletively fast, but i slowed it down to 30, and it only took me an extra 15 minutes to get home....what the **** is the rush....ignorant people
Old 12-05-2002, 09:55 AM

People dont respect the snow and end up crashing. It is not worth it.

SuDZ
Old 12-05-2002, 10:08 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

99% of people don't know how to drive.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:08 AM

Seriously, some people are such idiots, I was coming home and on the way there was a parked car on the side of the road, opposite of the side I was traveling on. Some dumbas$ in a Montero waited untill like the last minute to stop ( since there was not enough room for him to go in between me and the parked car)I had the right of way of course and he begins to skid, pulls into my lane forcing me to hop a small curb almost and almost sideswiping a tree. I missed the tree by like 3 inches and scratched my front right rim
Old 12-05-2002, 10:09 AM

Even better are the SUV retards of the "I've got 4WD, I can haul *** just fine on an ice covered road" mentality. Then comes the time to stop and a little lesson in INERTIA. Even stupidity can't beat physics.

-DPF
Old 12-05-2002, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by DrPaulFlammond
Even better are the SUV retards of the "I've got 4WD, I can haul *** just fine on an ice covered road" mentality. Then comes the time to stop and a little lesson in INERTIA. Even stupidity can't beat physics.

-DPF
7 of the 9 accidents involved SUV's
Old 12-05-2002, 10:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's just as bad as San Antonio. I hardly rains, but when it does seems like everybody speeds up. There's always alot of accidents, people are just ignorant when it comes to driving in bad weather.....or all the time around here.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:14 AM

Yeah, yesterday was the first real snow day in Louisville. As I was driving, I saw the scariest thing I'd ever seen: a pontiac grandprix had completely flipped over - it was resting on its hood, all glass was broken, both airbags deployed, the bumpers had fallen off. This being my first driving winter, I was scared as crap. Living in KY, we don't see that much stuff like that. I was going about 20-30 the whole time. I was scared. Max is safe now though.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by NickStam
Plus the majority of people have the attention span of a gnat. Every year, people forget how to drive in the snow and have to re-learn how. How f&^king hard is it to pay attention?

Darwin isn't doing a very good job keeping up.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:30 AM

this is my first "real" winter in driving as well, and i mean the key is just slow and pay the freak attention to what your doin....
Old 12-05-2002, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by Jamsan

7 of the 9 accidents involved SUV's
Thats because they want to look smart for driving an SUV because they are slightly better in the snow to make up for the fact that they suck in comparison for everything else.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NickStam
damn straight. When you can drive safely through 3' of snow, you can drive okay. Go to school in upstate New York to achieve this.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:49 AM

i learned how to drive in that big snow storm back in 96 or whatever....when we had a few feet, and school was canceled 2 days in advance....that was great
Old 12-05-2002, 10:52 AM
I'm so hood

There's also the flip side. Yesterday like...when I was driving in the morning, a total of one snow flake fell, and everyone was going like 5mph. The roads were completely dry, just some flurries.

Snow isn't really that big of a deal to me, just slow everything down from acceleration to braking to turning, etc, etc. It's ice that's challenging to me.

I'm feelin for you guys in the Northeast, after peepin the weather chan...
Old 12-05-2002, 10:54 AM

ill take some pictures in a few minutes (After i find some freakin batteries for my digi cam) of my max, and then of the snow....and it has been plowed recently, and its still pretty bad...
Old 12-05-2002, 10:56 AM

My dad taught me to drive in the snow when I was younger. Like he taught me to drive at age 9 but then when I was 13 would teach me how to do it in the snow using his truck when we would be plowing.

It was fun because he would have me spinout to regain control and slide corners but while teaching me how to react and what to do or not to do. Plus these were in huge parking lots about an acre or two and I could hit anything if I tried so safety was there.

SuDZ
Old 12-05-2002, 11:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Onemax
[B]I hardly rains, but when it does seems like everybody speeds up.

What? People speed up when it rains. Wow.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by SuDZ
My dad taught me to drive in the snow when I was younger. Like he taught me to drive at age 9 but then when I was 13 would teach me how to do it in the snow using his truck when we would be plowing.

It was fun because he would have me spinout to regain control and slide corners but while teaching me how to react and what to do or not to do. Plus these were in huge parking lots about an acre or two and I could hit anything if I tried so safety was there.

SuDZ
awesome! You're lucky! Those are really good skills to have!
Old 12-05-2002, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Lime

awesome! You're lucky! Those are really good skills to have!
Yeah and it was good times.

My Dad taught me to drive at 9 a Tracko a big old Cattepilliar. By 10 it was a big mac truck that he had to shift gears on cause I could not move the stick hehe These were on construction sights so nothing really around to worry about.

By 11 it was driving like my moms old Grand Prix around the circle in front of our house or moving it up/dwon the driveway. And 13 finally got to try his trucks

By the time I got my licence it was no bog deal. I was not nervous during drivers ed or on my licence exam because by then it was like second nature. I think teaching people younger like that in small bursts is a good idea since you ease into it slower than a few months before you get your licence.

SuDZ
Old 12-05-2002, 12:16 PM

It all the monkeys with 4X4 drive that think that you can go the same speed as normal....stupid monkeys
Old 12-05-2002, 12:44 PM

Im in Jersey and today in the morning i went to school, SUV drivers are the worst in the snow, I was doing about 30 on rt 3 west and this pathfinder flies by me on the left lane, the road was clear after me and I saw him get some backspin, go all the way from the left lane straight into the divider on the right lane, he was alright thank god.

Than 5 mins later on the same road, same circumstances, a old caprice wagon passes me on the left lane, and i see him far down the road sliding from side to side and hitting the divider, good thing he has the old chrome bumpers, nothing much happened and get this, 2 or 3 mins later, he passed me again.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:41 PM

strange thing is most people who drive 4x4's,4wd, and AWD vehicles do not know how 4 wheel or all wheel drive works, why it is better in off road conditions and plain don't understand that the only thing keeping you on the road is your tires.

On a side note, we got a dusting of snow and i saw a ford escape that completely flipped onto it's roof on a hair pin turn...shows you how well people can drive, though even i admit i am not even close to being the best of drivers....
Old 12-05-2002, 01:47 PM

I live in Louisville, KY and we dont get that much snow, so I think people just dont really know how to drive in the snow. I am not a good driver in the snow, I dont have much experience. I drove a little yesterday: slip around a bit, and fishtailed a few times. People need more experience, I know I do.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:09 PM

I agree, around here (Mass) we get enough snow that everyone should have a pretty good idea what to do. It seems that half the people are driving at their normal speed and the other half are driving at 5 MPH. And of course SUV drivers are the worst of the fast drivers. I guess they don't relize they can't stop or turn better than anyone else.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:37 PM

Re: whats with all the dumb drivers in snow?

Originally posted by Jamsan
well, im driving home from school, obviously in miserable conditions, and it seemed like every other mile there was a backup because some idiot slammed into a guard rail or somethin....im going about 20-30 mph and other people are just flying by me....what idiots...about a mile or 2 down the road, i see them smashed up against one another, bumpers on the other side of the highway......SLOW THE $%^& DOWN....this is coming from me, who has a tendency to go a "little" fast once in a while...on the 30 minute ride home, i saaw 9 accidents....9!!! on this highway i usually go reletively fast, but i slowed it down to 30, and it only took me an extra 15 minutes to get home....what the **** is the rush....ignorant people
Extreme driving or lack of experience causes that. Alot of young drivers freak out when there is precipitation. On the other hand, you have jackknifed tractors on the Schuylkill today--obviously they are experienced at over 40 cents a mile, just too agressive. The best policy is to keep your speed up and don't make sudden stops, within reason. You normally drive 75 on this road? When it snows, maybe you back it down to 55. If you back it down to 30 it may cause an accident.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KP ROX
[B]
Originally posted by Onemax
I hardly rains, but when it does seems like everybody speeds up.

What? People speed up when it rains. Wow.

Key word here is SEEMS like......People keep speeding as usual, but they don't understand they could hydroplane very easily at 60 or 70 mph.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by GuZo
Im in Jersey and today in the morning i went to school, SUV drivers are the worst in the snow
Same deal here in Central NJ (Edison). Loads of morons with Ford Explorers trying do a little payback against cars that run quicker than 17-seconds in the 1/4 mile. SUV d--kheads running at normal speeds in the middle of a nor'easter. NEWSFLASH for you SUV owners, YOU'RE STILL SLOW!!! (Disclaimer: The 'still slow' comment doesn't apply to X5 4.6 or ML55 owners.)
Old 12-05-2002, 03:08 PM

It took me 4 hours to get from Jersey City to Parsippany today This is normally a 40 minute ride. Accidents everywhere.....People need to learn how to slow down in the snow
Old 12-05-2002, 03:38 PM
I need a truck

Originally posted by NuJerseyDrive
It took me 4 hours to get from Jersey City to Parsippany today This is normally a 40 minute ride. Accidents everywhere.....People need to learn how to slow down in the snow

oh jesus ... i don't mind waiting because everyone is going 5 mph ... i think the mayor of NY (michael bloomberg) has a skeleton crew plowin right now, cause nothing is getting done .... i've been helping people get up this hill by my house all day
Old 12-05-2002, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Conrad283

oh jesus ... i don't mind waiting because everyone is going 5 mph ... i think the mayor of NY (michael bloomberg) has a skeleton crew plowin right now, cause nothing is getting done .... i've been helping people get up this hill by my house all day
Same in Jersey. I headed out around 12:30.....Enough time for the plows to clean up, but of course not. To think, everyone knew this damn storm was on it's way.....
Old 12-05-2002, 03:57 PM
Project Ruby......

Old 12-05-2002, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by 4DRSpeed

SuDZ