General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

For all those who have installed leather door inserts

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 06:00 AM

For all those who have installed leather door inserts

I still havent taken the time to put mine in. I've taken off the panel before...my question is, does the actual cloth center come off of the door panel (from the back)? Or do you just push the leather into the edge of the panel over the cloth? I hope that's clear...

shaz
Old 12-17-2002, 06:10 AM
Administrator

you put the leather over the cloth.. then use a butter knife or something dull to wedge the leather down in the groves.. don't do what i did and cut the leather.. you can wedge it all down
Old 12-17-2002, 06:15 AM

yeah i cut my first one and it got all messed up...gotta buy a new one. but do you cut it at all sprint? seems like a LOT of access leather to stuff down in there....

shaz
Old 12-17-2002, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by shaz
yeah i cut my first one and it got all messed up...gotta buy a new one. but do you cut it at all sprint? seems like a LOT of access leather to stuff down in there....

shaz
cut my first 3.. didn't cut the last 1.. the last one is hte only one that looks good
Old 12-17-2002, 07:48 AM
rilla dope

Shaz, I'm having the pros do it. The adhesive they sent sucks, it doesn't come out even so it looks lumpy under the vinyl, and yes, it should be vinyl inserts, not leather (unless I just got the shaft or something). Anyway, I messed one up and now I'm having it done by the pros after I get a new yeard of vinyl, 15 bucks from CFI. I took the fabric off, it actually looks damn cool without any inserts, almost one tone door panels, but I'll do the doors soon. Also, my panels had to be cut because they were way way too big to be tucked in and the fabric is too tight in the cracks to tuck in around, even with a thin blade. Maybe a 5g thing
Old 12-17-2002, 08:01 AM
Ramius83

Are you guys installing the leatherseats.com door inserts, or are you installing OEM door inserts?

Old 12-17-2002, 08:12 AM

we're talking about the leatherseats.com inserts

shaz
Old 12-17-2002, 08:16 AM
Ramius83

Ok, thanks, duely noted......

Old 12-17-2002, 08:23 AM
Administrator

if you wedge the inserts in.. you don't need adhesive
Old 12-17-2002, 08:27 AM
Ramius83

Where are you guys ripping the door insert at? Are you ripping where you are "shoving" the tool on it to force it in the door panel? Or is the actual leather piece itself just ripping from the force of the installation.....

Old 12-17-2002, 01:05 PM
mb1

Originally posted by releasedtruth
Shaz, I'm having the pros do it. The adhesive they sent sucks, it doesn't come out even so it looks lumpy under the vinyl, and yes, it should be vinyl inserts, not leather (unless I just got the shaft or something). Anyway, I messed one up and now I'm having it done by the pros after I get a new yeard of vinyl, 15 bucks from CFI. I took the fabric off, it actually looks damn cool without any inserts, almost one tone door panels, but I'll do the doors soon. Also, my panels had to be cut because they were way way too big to be tucked in and the fabric is too tight in the cracks to tuck in around, even with a thin blade. Maybe a 5g thing
mine are leather...
Old 12-17-2002, 01:49 PM
rilla dope

Originally posted by mb1

mine are leather...
Gathered or flat? That might be the key. Mine are flat. I'd rather them not be leather when flat of course, no one would ever know the difference
Old 12-17-2002, 03:32 PM
Master Will

just use some automotive adhesive(or headliners)spray I got mine from NAPA Auto parts $5.00 a can only one can needed and use a small flat head screwdriver...don't cut any off of the pattern and work from the inside out from right to left then left to right

Old 12-18-2002, 09:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I did the leatherseats.com gathered door inserts myself. Let's just say if I could do it over again, I'd pay an upholstery shop to do the inserts. With the gathered inserts, the backs are not completely glued onto the cloth due to it's design. It's a pita to get looking perfect and not have the edges fall out (I trimmed the inserts). I don't know how you cannot trim the inserts because there is simply way too much excess material (~2x's the size of the oem insert) to tuck behind the cloth. Maybe the non-gathered inserts are smaller.

On a side note, has anyone acutually taken off the stock cloth insert? I mean, can it be done without messing it up?? It'd sure be easier to install the leather.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I used M3 adhesive that came with the leather seats. Vinyl is thinner than leather, so in my case (perforated leather inserts) it was impossible to wedge it all inside.
First I glued the inserts over the cloth on the door panel and then used a very sharp and thin knife to cut the excess of leather that was outside of the panel grooves. The cut is deep in the groove, so it's not visible. If you cut and then glue, there's a big chance to screw up.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:46 AM
Administrator

found this on some site..

Old 12-18-2002, 10:17 AM
rilla dope

Originally posted by CalsonicSE
I did the leatherseats.com gathered door inserts myself. Let's just say if I could do it over again, I'd pay an upholstery shop to do the inserts. With the gathered inserts, the backs are not completely glued onto the cloth due to it's design. It's a pita to get looking perfect and not have the edges fall out (I trimmed the inserts). I don't know how you cannot trim the inserts because there is simply way too much excess material (~2x's the size of the oem insert) to tuck behind the cloth. Maybe the non-gathered inserts are smaller.

On a side note, has anyone acutually taken off the stock cloth insert? I mean, can it be done without messing it up?? It'd sure be easier to install the leather.

I took off the cloth on mine. They are bare right now, not tough at all, leaves some residue you spend a little while cleaning off, but no big thing. I'm diggin the no insert style right now, sorta nice